Australian SASR LRPV - Land rover IIa Version
Gunner-steve
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 60 posts
Armorama: 56 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 03:52 PM UTC
G'day all,

I'm doing a spot of research for my next build, an Australian SASR Long Range Patrol Vehicle (LRPV) based on the Land Rover Series 2a. I have the Tamiya Pink Panther and the Mouse House Aus 2a conversion ready to go.

The version I want to build mounts a dirt bike on a rack behind the tail gate (as seen below). The problem I have is that I know that they used a number of bikes for the purpose, an ex-Norforce friend mentioned a 125cc Kawasaki and Hondas as the bikes used in the early 80's, but where do I find a 1/35 trail bike? Google, in this case, has not been my friend.

Tamiya did the Japanese Ground Self Defence Force Motorcycle many years ago. Does anyone have any experience with this kit? Could it be pared down to resemble the photo below?

Close up of the mount:

Cheers,

Steve
bossman
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 30 posts
Armorama: 28 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 04:15 PM UTC
DML makes the "US Light Infantry Team Modern" listed as DML 3009. It includes a standing US Marine and one mounted on a dirt bike- no idea what make or model it is. Great Models Webstore says it has one left in stock. I built it years ago, as I recall it was a decent little bike. Hope it helps.

Fab

gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Armorama: 1,563 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 05:10 PM UTC
Tamiya JGSDF bike is a Honda XLR 250, the DML USMC bike is a KLR 250 (not sure if its the 84 or 91 version). The better kit is the Tamiya bike.

Not sure when the SASR phased out that series of land rover, but it might have been prior to mono shock swingarms, IIRC it was around 82-83 that Kawi dropped the dual rear springs. If that's the case, you would be in for a fair bit of mods. The pic of the bike above is a little small to tell for sure, but it looks like a dual spring set up.
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 10:42 PM UTC
I think your best bet is to search for a BRITAINS die cast trail bike in 32nd. They did a range of Road , Dirt and trail bikes in the 70's so may have something to suit. Failing that a conversion of the Tamiya may be possible
Al
aussiemodeler
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 266 posts
Armorama: 212 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 11:08 PM UTC
seen some nice mortar car one's out of the gahn!!!!
jasmils
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,016 posts
Armorama: 745 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 02:54 AM UTC
The bike in the pic is a 85 model DR250cc.
The Dragon KLR 250 (your right Graeme, 1984) is pretty close to the DR from the same time. All you would need to change would be the seat and headlight and it would be pretty close.

Cheers Jason
Removed by original poster on 05/02/11 - 07:03:09 (GMT).
 _GOTOTOP