_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
crusader tracks- how rusty in the desert?
isitwindyyet
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 01:30 PM UTC
I was looking to finish up my 1:48 Tamiya Crusader, and I remember why I stopped last year. I just can't figure out what to do with the tracks, especially the spare ones. How rusty do they get? In theory the shouldn't be very rusty at all, sand is abrasive, and the desert is dry. But I've never seen good pictures of WWII tracks in the desert. So any images or suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,411 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 05:26 PM UTC
Your are correct. Track in the desert should not be rusty. Since the climate is dry and sand is an abrasive not much rust will be there. Spare track could be a bit more rusty - but remember its a dry heat so without water there won't be rust.
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 08:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Your are correct. Track in the desert should not be rusty. Since the climate is dry and sand is an abrasive not much rust will be there. Spare track could be a bit more rusty - but remember its a dry heat so without water there won't be rust.

I agree with the above,
A dark(older) rust (eg dark wash) on parts not abraded by sand or wheels, dull polished steel where wear(!) occours

The classic red/orange rust would only be seen on tracks that have been standing for a few days, or on burned-out armour.

good luck
trackpads
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 330 posts
Armorama: 284 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 09:09 PM UTC
We had snow storms,rain,ice and heat waves when i was there.And rust
tayc
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 139 posts
Armorama: 33 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 10:38 PM UTC
G'day Ron!

Here is a link to an image that carries the caption "M1A1 in Iraq":

http://yalun.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/800px-m1-a1_abrams_1.jpg

Contemporary images of AFVs in desert environments will give you a guide. I imagine that Iraq would be similar to North Africa to some extent. Also remember that much of the North African campaign fought during WWII was restricted to a relatively narrow piece of coastal, albeit arid, geography stretching east to west between the Mediterranean Sea and the Shara Desert (Qattara Depression etc). Geographically, as Andrew points out, quite a range of climatic conditions are experienced in the desert which easily contribute to oxidization on abraded and exposed metal.

I suggest starting with surface rust as a base on the tracks - this happens everywhere, even the desert - and then liberally dusting. The dust more than rust and then brighten very recently exposed or abraded metal such as track guide horns and drive sprocket surfaces that contact the tracks.

For what it is worth, I think that sometimes we overdo the weathering and forget that military pride and even basic maintenance procedures prevent AFVs getting as weathered as we would sometimes imagine -but I'm sure veterans of, and those currently serving in these conditions could give you a better idea.

Regards

Christian
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,240 posts
Armorama: 1,192 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 02:33 AM UTC
Remember the discovery of the crashed WW2 B24 Bomber, Lady Be Good in early November, 1958 ?
The weapons were not rusted and neither were the engines, one determined to be in running condition..
Indeed after cleaning the sand and soil from the Brownings it was also determined they could be fired. I don't think they were due to the state and age of the ammo.
It was also noted that it contained a working radio, and some supplies of food and water. A thermos of tea was found to be drinkable.

As the weather in recent years have changed some rusting may now be found on tracks I think.

But unless tracked vehicles are left to stand unused after cleanup for more than a few days, very little rust is present on the tracks.

Keith.
ChrisDM
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 717 posts
Armorama: 697 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 12:28 PM UTC
In all likelihood they would be rusty, but not from the desert heat

British tanks at the time arrived in Alexandria after being shipped from the UK, around the Cape, up the east coast of Africa and through the Suez Canal to avoid the attentions of German and Italian planes and submarines

Typically, moisture control was not particularly advanced at the time (it became better later) and tanks were often stored in conditions that exposed them to humid air caused by being at sea. Anyone that lives near the sea will tell you, salt air and steel doesn't mix well and leads to rapid oxidisation

Contemporat accounts make mention of regiments and fitters complaining about the levels of rust and corrosion on their 'new' tanks, so I'd say a bit of rust on your tracks is a must

HTH

Chris
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 1,316 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 12:30 PM UTC
Well, when I was at Ft. Bliss back in the 80's the tracks on our tanks and PC's were like mirrors after a very short time running around in the sand, but they rusted up very quickly if it was even the slightest bit wet or humid.
ChrisDM
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 717 posts
Armorama: 697 posts
Posted: Friday, February 05, 2010 - 12:49 AM UTC
One other thing worth considering, not all of the NA campaign was fought in the desert. According to a few accounts I have (including Alan Moorhead's excellent 'Desert War') parts of Lybia, Morrocco and Tunisia were positively wet, and were more like temperate parts of Europe. Rain was certainly common

So it really does depend on when and where you want your Crusader to be. Short answer though, it looks like you could do either!
Crewchief
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 154 posts
Armorama: 146 posts
Posted: Friday, February 05, 2010 - 03:35 AM UTC
I looked up some picts online of AAVP7A1 in action, I saw a good close up of one in the desert, The tracks did look almost like they had been freshly sand blasted (I guess in reality they had) If this helps any
chrisgrove
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 78 posts
Armorama: 75 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 12:22 AM UTC
Another thing. Sure it got hot during the day in the Western desert, but it also got cold at night - look at all the pics of guys in greatcoats. Tracks newly burnished by the sand in the daytime, would rust as a result of the condensation at night. So it also depends on the time of day!

Chris
isitwindyyet
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 09, 2010 - 04:43 AM UTC
I forgot about this thread, couldn't remember which site I posted it on. Thanks for the help. I went with a deep rust in the recesses, and bright metal on top. I looks a little over done, but at least it is done.

Ron
phanthomred4
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 158 posts
Armorama: 90 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 09, 2010 - 05:00 AM UTC
I can't comment on North Africa, but in Saudia (9 months) and as in Ft. Irwin (4 rotations), Tracks in high usage condition should be very shiny. Rubber parts should be "Mauled". Rust should be a thin wash of really dark reddish brown and then just in crevasses (?)A Crusader and M113 are similiar in some respects ( size/ weight/speed) for this to be valid
 _GOTOTOP