_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Techniques
Diorama techniques and related subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
What is this structure ?
ElectricFactory
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 90 posts
Armorama: 71 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 - 05:29 AM UTC
Guys, what does this structure look like or suggest to you ? Stable ? Something else ? Figure included in picture for scale only.

Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 - 05:49 AM UTC
Field-made checkpoint cabin ?

Frenchy
allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 942 posts
Armorama: 571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 - 05:50 AM UTC
Jon,
You could use it as a vehicle checkpoint shelter, something along those lines. I personally would think not for a stable (the open areas would let too many elements in).
Just a thought but you might want to try making the outer planks narrower. They look to be about 14-16 odd inches wide. just think how often you see planking that wide (I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just not very common)
Hope to have helped
TTFN
Tom
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 - 06:02 AM UTC
Elevate it and it could be an observation post.
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 408 posts
Armorama: 215 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 - 06:07 AM UTC
If you added a couple of layers of sandbags around the exterior and a layer on the roof, it could pass as one of the bunkers we used ot build on our berms in Vietnam. Generally, these bunkers had 6x6 uprights and 2x12 boards on the sides. Overhead planking was also 2x12's. The overheads generally had a layer of tarp (to keep the rain away) and then a layer of sandbags (to keep the steel rain away).

Two or three layers around the outside of the walls would stop most direct fire weapons. We liked to add a layer of sandbags on the inside as well to stop any wood splinters kicked up by any round that penetrated the wood. These bunkers were generally manned by two Marines from sunset to dawn. Each Marine would have an M-16, plus grenades. The bunker would also have an M-60 machine gun and usually an M-79 40mm grenade launcher (blooper).

Having said all that, your figure looks like you are contemplating a WWII dio. If that is the case, you would could use the same concept for a fixed German or Allied position in the ETO. I don't think this would be a good based for a Japansese or allied position in the PTO. Japansese positions were usually hand carved from the coral rock of the islands or made with concrete or palm logs.

Semper Fi,
Dave
Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,160 posts
Armorama: 1,906 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 - 06:27 AM UTC
My first impression was a roadside fruit & vegetable stand. I think that it could fit in to some sort of improvised building in the Pacific Theater, Korea, and Vietnam. As someone stated, the wall planking is too wide. Maybe split them up at various widths to make it look improvised and constructed of found materials. There's alot of options as to what you want to make it into, either civilian or military.
ElectricFactory
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 - 06:27 AM UTC
Tom,
Excellent suggestion, please post a pic if you have one of a vehichle checkpoint shelter in a WWII context.

Jesse,
Were the Germans the only ones using such an observation post in WWII ? Or maybe a prison camp ?

Dave,
Your idea has an appeal to me, I can definitely see a Vietnam war setting but I wonder if there are pics of such a position in a WWII context ?

The heavy planking may take it out of the realm of common structures- tool sheds, maintanance sheds etc. Too, I could always plank up the open areas...
Removed by original poster on 02/02/10 - 18:29:48 (GMT).
ElectricFactory
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 - 06:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My first impression was a roadside fruit & vegetable stand. I think that it could fit in to some sort of improvised building in the Pacific Theater, Korea, and Vietnam. As someone stated, the wall planking is too wide. Maybe split them up at various widths to make it look improvised and constructed of found materials.

Gab, do you mean split the planks in halves, maybe even in thirds ?
I was thinking about adding a rusty tin roof as well. But maybe that would take it out if a WWII context as well.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 - 06:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tom,
Jesse,
Were the Germans the only ones using such an observation post in WWII ? Or maybe a prison camp ?

I would imagine any base of operations had something at least kinda equivalent. This is just shooting from the hip, no direct experience or resource.
Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 - 07:18 AM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

My first impression was a roadside fruit & vegetable stand. I think that it could fit in to some sort of improvised building in the Pacific Theater, Korea, and Vietnam. As someone stated, the wall planking is too wide. Maybe split them up at various widths to make it look improvised and constructed of found materials.

Gab, do you mean split the planks in halves, maybe even in thirds ?
I was thinking about adding a rusty tin roof as well. But maybe that would take it out if a WWII context as well.[/quote

Split them lengthwise...halves and thirds...go for a mix of 1x8s, 1x10s, and 1x12s. I hate to really suggest too much without knowing what you plan to use it. However, you do have alot of options with this building.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 - 08:15 AM UTC
Its a potting shed minus the shelves.
retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 - 12:46 PM UTC
Put a floor on it and raise it off the ground a few scale feet , kind of like an adobo. It can serve as a small radio shack either Japanese or American in a Pacific dio. Or how bout Brittish in Burma..........Al
Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 - 05:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Put a floor on it and raise it off the ground a few scale feet , kind of like an adobo. It can serve as a small radio shack either Japanese or American in a Pacific dio. Or how bout Brittish in Burma..........Al

I like this idea. Maybe fashion up some netting for the window areas.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 09:57 AM UTC
Ya got it wrong Darren. That's my duck blind for this year . It could be used for any of the above mentioned Jon. As a stable, it seems a bit small for working horses. Check point seems best.
ElectricFactory
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 12:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ya got it wrong Darren. That's my duck blind for this year . It could be used for any of the above mentioned Jon. As a stable, it seems a bit small for working horses. Check point seems best.

Egads man, that's it- a duck blind !!

Wait.. a duck blind ?? Does this mean I have to model... ducks ?
Oh, the humanity....
retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 12:28 PM UTC
Coulda been worse...If you enclosed the whole thing in chicken wire ,you"d have to fill it with a bunch of chickens. Then do a dio on "Chicken Run" or maybe something with those pesky cows trying to get us to eat more chicken.......
 _GOTOTOP