_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
German Werwolf Dio Questions
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
Armorama: 727 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 05:16 PM UTC
I think it would be intersting to do a diorama about the Werwolves. The guerilla fighters in Germany when the war was over. I am not sure on what they did though. I mean did they blow up trees and block roads or attack the Americans.

Questions:

1. What would a good scene be?

2. I am not sure if they wore uniforms or not, so I might need some guys in civies. How?

~Chip :-)
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 12:02 AM UTC
Depends on if you want to do Werewolves as advertised or as reality...

Since it was supposed to be a vast, underground organization, heavily armed, striking high value targets and wreaking havoc on the occupiers.. but as far as I know it was , in reality, never that big, well-organized, well-armed, or effective

I'm not really sure what they actually accomplished, convoy ambush, dropping trees, blowing up supplies, attacking 'colaborators'.. all of these might be hard to model.

What about them gearing up for the operation?

Option 1 has lots of semi-uniformed - I'm thinking cammo smocks over civilian trousers- who are well-armed maybe with mp-44's w IR scopes and Panzerfausts. They'd all be adult guys getting into a cache of weapons.

Option 2 would have older and younger folks in civilian clothes -armbands?- with fewer rag-tag weapons and maybe an instructor type showing them the ropes?

For myself, I like the idea of digging a cache of weapons out of a grave in a makeshift cemetary. There is always the sewer tunnel idea as well.

hth
Mike
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
Armorama: 727 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 06:00 AM UTC
The cemetary idea is really a good one. See the problem isn't with the scene. I can do that, but with the figures. I mean DML doesn't produce "Werwolf" figures.

I might and probably will have to convert and add on to existing figures. Something that I don't really want to do, but will probably have to.
Unless anyone else has ideas.

~Chip
sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 379 posts
Armorama: 150 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 06:07 AM UTC
I like the cemetary idea- but make it a box diorama with a blue light to simulate moonlight-
Werewolves digging up graves under the light of a full moon

Peter
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 06:08 AM UTC
Too funny. That is probably the only german figures DML hasn't released yet. Probably just around the corner. They do (did) make a set of Volksstrum, that might work for you, an old guy, a kid, etc.

Shaun
bennie
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 436 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 06:24 AM UTC
werwolves? is this some kind of myth? becease i live in Holland near the German border and never heard of it and seen it never on t.v. or in a musuem
so could somebody tell me what thit is???? please???

bennie
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 07:15 AM UTC
From what I understand there was supposed to be a Nazi-underground resistance after the allied occupation, but like the Bavarian Redoubt -sp?- it was more hot air than reality.
There are a couple of books out there about might have beens...

Sort of a French resistance, but with die-hard Nazi's against the occupying allies.

Mike
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 07:37 AM UTC
Well, first you find a source for 54 mm wolves and place their heads on German figures... #:-)
Noodles
Visit this Community
Cork, Ireland
KitMaker: 75 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 07:37 AM UTC
There was anarticle about the werewolves in military history some =time last year.It said that they were to live in underground shelters and to attack form there and then return once the attack was complete.They were to perform pretty much the same task that a detachment of britisyh soldiers were meant to do if Germany invaded England.in fact,the underground bunkers can still be seen today(There was a prog about this on BBC2 as well.i think that a diorama with them emerging from an underground bunker would be a nice Idea.another thing to note,is that as far as i can remember they were mostly going to be younger soldiers,mostly drawn from the hitlerjugend.the was a picture in the article of US troops leading away two boys.They US actually shot one of the werewolves and were gfoing to shoot more until higher authorities intervened.
Hope some of his is useful,and that i can remember the facts correctly.Look forward to seeing the diorama.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Armorama: 1,209 posts
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2003 - 08:50 AM UTC
i think I read somewere that they were quite active in austria for a couple of years against the soviets but think it lasted about 2 years you could always use 1/35 scale civi figures i'm sure there are resin farmer figs ect that are sculped digging
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2003 - 07:09 PM UTC
I'm sure some company made some Partisan figures that you could use, or just take some standard german figures and paint the clothing different and sand off the belts and put caps on the heads instead of helmets
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Armorama: 1,209 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 08:03 PM UTC
if your looking for a book on the werewolfs by charles Whiting who has done alot of books on the campaign in western europe in 44-45 it's in paperback and has a few pictures in it
looks like the age-group was from teenage to middle age you should be able to find it by searching for the authors name :-)
laurie
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 217 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 11:23 PM UTC
hi,
great idea, I think nobody ever done such a dio before. I think they had normal civil clothes but with arm straps and caps or helmets, and of course they German guns

succes with building, Laurie
 _GOTOTOP