Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - 10:51 PM UTC
Hello

This is the Attack 1/72nd kit.

It was quite easy to assemble, though the small brass etch pieces were a little fiddly to fit in the right places.

Its built out of the box, only adjustments were to

* thin the sides of the open compartment as they appeared too thick

* made a new folded down canvas cover as I didnt like the one supplied with the kit

* added a driver (Preiser)

* sanded off the grab handle along the back of the front seat as it was moulded flush, and made one out of thin wire.

* made attachment points for the pick out of spare brass etch

I did try adding interior details to the four doors but after two different attempts and several hours could not get a neat enough job, so left as is.

The kit is generally a very good fit.

If anyone can see any glaring errors please let me know

Its 99% finished, and I have a small construction review that I'll post a link to when its done

cheers
Korpse

Panther64
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 395 posts
Armorama: 365 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 12:28 PM UTC
Hey Korpse-

Nice looking KW. You don't see too many and your looks great. Is there a vignette or dio in the future for it?
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 08:32 PM UTC
Hi Kerry

thanks for the comment.

Its not a perfect build or finish, the pictures with the macro lens usually expose an imperfection or two that my eyes can't see even though I build and paint under a magnifying lamp

The pictures were taken on an unfinished large diorama just for convenience. The model won't appear on that diorama as the diorama will feature late war vehicles and the Kubel has an early war paint job. I'd like to have painted it in late war colours, and included it in the diorama, but I doubt any of these Kubels were still in service late in the war, given these were produced 1934-35.

All my completed models are in plastic boxes to protect them from damage and dust, but I intend to start putting all my new builds on dioramas or small vignettes, as they look so much better in a "scene".

I have started a small base to put it on. I'm not sure if the vehicle is a bit too large for the base ? I'm also unsure whether to attach the base onto a piece of stained wood with routed edging ?

cheers
Neil

Panther64
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 395 posts
Armorama: 365 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 10:22 PM UTC
Ya, it's funny how photos can find those "buggers" we just don't see. The base is a good compliment too. I usually put my tanks on small bases to keep the focus on the subject, and keep me away from dios, mine usually turn out bad and take away from the model.
Anyway, looks great! Can't wait to see it on the cobblestone.
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 06:46 AM UTC
Korpse, thanks for sharing a very unusual and interesting vehicle build. The weathering is very pleasingly done and I just love the original setting dio pictures. Builds like this are a nice motivator to get one to try to achieve similar results. Can't wait to see more of your future endeavors.

Cheers,
tread_geek
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 07:25 PM UTC
thanks for the kind comments, Kerry & Jan

the base is made out of bits and pieces in my 'scenery' spares box. I have bought and collected bits and pieces for many years that are good for scenes and dioramas but have yet to complete a single diorama, and have only ever made one small scene to date.

the areas between the "cobblestones" are actually a bit too deep, so I mixed some diluted white glue and poured it over to raise the height so there is not such a difference in height between the cobblestones and the surface. In reality the space between the cobblestones would fill with dust, dirt, etc I would think. This was originally a quarry rock wall, only now its horizontal instead of vertical. Given its early war it will be set in Poland 1939 or France 1940 I guess.

I know what you mean about large dioramas, the diorama can take the focus off the models, and the diorama needs a lot of work to look realistic as well, I hope I can manage to do that with the large diorama, the small scene shouldn't be too hard

Nothing special with the painting or weathering of the vehicle, its painted grey from an ancient 1970s or 1980s tin of Humbrol Authentic Colour, HF4 Gris Bleu Clair (Light Blue Gray), that I still have.

Later I applied some diluted oil paint around some of the small detail, a little dry brushing with a lighter gray paint, and a very light over spray with diluted brown paint, a bit of scartching and chipping with the point of a knife blade, then with a HB pencil, then a bit of pastel chalk dusted with a dry brush mainly on the flat surfaces. I masked off the windscreen before overspraying with light brown so that the areas the window wipers dont cover were dirty. I kept it all fairly subtle.

When I get it done I'll paste some more pictures.

cheers
Neil
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 10:24 PM UTC
Korpse,

Super job on that early war Kubelwagen. I like the setting that you photographed the vehicle in, it looks right at home.

The small base that you started looks fine to me and your idea of placing it on a piece of stained wood with the routed edging is a good one. Nice job on the figure too!

-Eddy
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 07:15 PM UTC
Hi Eddie

thanks ! appreciate your taking the time to comment. The background I photographed it on is a largish (1 metre long) unfinished diorama that will have a late war scene, so the little Kubel is no good for that one. I've been working on that large diorama for a long time, still working at getting the buildings and groundwork looking right

I have finished the vignette (or little diorama ?) with the Kuble on it, and have just now pasted some pics of it and what I did to it, in the "Diorama" forum seeking some feedback from the diorama gurus

cheers
Neil

_GOTOTOP