_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Wanted : Reference material HQ at Hartenstein
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 08:07 AM UTC
Friends,

During the september days in 1944 operation Market Garden took place. During the battle for Arnhem the British General Urquhart had his HQ in the Hotel Hartenstein in Oosterbeek

I'm planning a shadowbox diorama that deals with that HQ in Hartenstein Hotel. Has anybody got pictures, or other reference material that deals with that HQ in the Hotel ?

Where was the HQ exactly located, was it in the cellars, or on the first floor like in the (not so accurate) film A Bridge Too Far ? Anybody got a floorplan of the hotel perhaps ? Pics ? All those things will be very welcome !!

At this moment the Hartenstein Hotel is a war museum that is about the operation Market Garden. In the cellars they have life size dioramas. One of those is the HQ dio I'm going to do in a shadow-box. I have the postcard with the pic of that dio, but like I said all ref. material is welcome.

Please make my day and provide me with the first Historical based dio I'm attempting. This dio has got to be 100% accurate so anything helps.

Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
Armorama: 377 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 02:05 PM UTC
I found several things on this site Eagle. Pictures of the officers at the hotel and some other stuff.

http://www.extraplan.demon.co.uk/frames.htm
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 06:33 PM UTC
Zach,

that is quite a good site you gave me. Thanks mate !!

I also contacted the Airborne Museum and asked where the Div. HQ was located. I learned that Urquhart had several HQ locations in Hotel Hartenstein. The final HQ is located in the same room that holds the current 1:1 scale dio.

Since reference is very limited, I'll have to go to the museum myself. I'll be taking the cameras with me (sorry, but inside photography and filming is NOT allowed), so if someone needs some reference shots from the outside or the peremiter, just let me know.
 _GOTOTOP