Hosted by Darren Baker
Guntruck site
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 03:57 PM UTC
I just got this lilnk from a friend from Bay Colony Historical Modelers/IPMS: [url] http://personal2.iddeo.es/cmt/quad/quad_e41_03.html [/url}
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
Armorama: 377 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 06:51 PM UTC
Haha I love the rebel flag one. Thats really something you dont see every day lol. Im more than sure Gunnie will appreciate this site.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 08:02 PM UTC
I've seen the AFV kit and it is quite colorful, now you ccan do different paint schemes for variety I never realized how many of them were out there
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 08:51 PM UTC
Just keep in mind that the guntrucks that are presented are based on the M 54 truck not the M 35 truck as the AFV Club guntruck. I am still waiting for a plastic M 54 (the Real Model M 54 conversion set is rather expensive )

Frenchy
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2003 - 02:09 AM UTC
There are over 500 known different Gun Trucks. In James Lyles book the Hard ride he has photos of a quite a few of them. The second volume will be coming out soon and will have even more. There will be photos of the 3/4 ton Gun Trucks along with some photos of the little Gun Jeeps and some V-100's. There are a lot of 2 1/2 ton gun trucks that you can model. So if you can't get or modify a M-54 truck you can still build a lot of 2 1/2 tons. Gunies sopwith Camel is one example. The Duce is Wild, Kings of the Road, the Good Bad and Ugly, Warloard, and of course the Nancy are a few as an example.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2003 - 02:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I just got this lilnk from a friend from Bay Colony Historical Modelers/IPMS: [url] http://personal2.iddeo.es/cmt/quad/quad_e41_03.html [/url}

Heh heh - seen it - already had pics - and began modeling it awhile ago... Gun Trucks are so cool!

Gunnie
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2003 - 02:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There are over 500 known different Gun Trucks. In James Lyles book the Hard ride he has photos of a quite a few of them. The second volume will be coming out soon and will have even more. There will be photos of the 3/4 ton Gun Trucks along with some photos of the little Gun Jeeps and some V-100's. There are a lot of 2 1/2 ton gun trucks that you can model. So if you can't get or modify a M-54 truck you can still build a lot of 2 1/2 tons. Gunies sopwith Camel is one example. The Duce is Wild, Kings of the Road, the Good Bad and Ugly, Warloard, and of course the Nancy are a few as an example.

Absolutely! Don't fall into the myth that gun trucks were only built on 5-tons like some underinformed armchair model historians out there espouse from time to time. There are plenty of Deuces, M37's, a few V-100's, and plenty of gun jeeps to model. The Deuces are just as charming and interesting as their big brothers.

That's my mission in modeling them - to show the variety and ingenuity of the Truckers and what those guys did with what they had back then.

Gunnie
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2003 - 03:33 AM UTC
I didn't fall into this myth. In fact I have half a dozen AFV Club M 35 kits waiting to be built as guntrucks... But most of the reference pics I have gathered show M 54-based guntrucks
The first M 35 I have planned to build is "The Gamblers" but I am still looking for reference pics other than the one that can found in TJ Kutta's book. I know that Hobby Fan has issued a conversion set for it but I'd prefer to scratchbuild it for "budgetary reasons"
Maybe I should finally buy "The Hard Ride"
PS : Keep up the good work Gunnie !

Frenchy
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Armorama: 1,245 posts
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2003 - 03:44 AM UTC
I had NO idea there were so many of these. I just assumed this was a semi-offical field mod that was somewhat popular. See what you get for assuming?
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2003 - 03:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I didn't fall into this myth. In fact I have half a dozen AFV Club M 35 kits waiting to be built as guntrucks... But most of the reference pics I have gathered show M 54-based guntrucks
The first M 35 I have planned to build is "The Gamblers" but I am still looking for reference pics other than the one that can found in TJ Kutta's book. I know that Hobby Fan has issued a conversion set for it but I'd prefer to scratchbuild it for "budgetary reasons"
Maybe I should finally buy "The Hard Ride"
PS : Keep up the good work Gunnie !

Frenchy

Yes Frenchy - get James Lyles' book "The Hard Ride". My website's homepage has a link for ordering information - and ask him to sign it for you when you do order it. Just click on my banner link below in this post. The Squadron Signal book is nice - but - when you see this one, you won't want to put it down. Volume I has so much eye candy it's hard to figure out where to start. Volume II, I bet, will be even better.

The official photo of "The Gamblers" is repeated in "The Hard Ride". I think it the only photo of this gun truck. I was delaying building my version too in hopes of turning up another one...

Gunnie
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2003 - 04:19 AM UTC
Here are some links that ypu can go to to see and read about our Gun Trucks. [
http://academic.uofs.edu/faculty/gramborw/atav/gunstory.htm
http://groups.msn.com/VietnamGuntrucks/_homepage.msnw
http://134.198.33.115/atav/default.html
http://www.eustis.army.mil/DPTMSEC/museum.htm
 _GOTOTOP