Hosted by Darren Baker
Slovenian M-55 - AEF Designs
pigsty
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
Armorama: 451 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 04:46 AM UTC
I've just discovered that AEF do a conversion to make the Tamiya T-55 into the Slovenian M-55 version (with the big gun and all the mad armour). Does anyone have any experience of it? Is it worth $47.50 plus shipping?
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 04:51 AM UTC
Do a search on the site of 'AEF Design's' read some of the comments on various postings then make up your own mind. Most people will tell you to not waste your money on their crap.
pigsty
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 09:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Do a search on the site of 'AEF Design's' read some of the comments on various postings then make up your own mind. Most people will tell you to not waste your money on their crap.

Yes, I knew about their reputation, but the made-up kit I saw in FSM looked OK, so I was wondering if perhaps they'd improved.
kurassier
Visit this Community
Gibraltar
KitMaker: 62 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2010 - 12:04 AM UTC
The conversion is not too bad, you still have to improve it a bit, adding some rivets and bolts here and there..., and the turret additional armor lacks one armor plate, but it is easily added with styrene
The original kit was developed for ancient Esci kits, I don't know if it was modified to fit Tamiya's, so I cannot tell you how the side skirts would fit to it.
Also, if you want to display the latest version of the tank, you'll have to modify the turret basket, since its different to AEF version
Not the worst conversion from AEF, but as always, it needs some work
For that price, may be you can think on converting the original kit by yourself...
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2010 - 06:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Yes, I knew about their reputation, but the made-up kit I saw in FSM looked OK, so I was wondering if perhaps they'd improved.

No, he hasn't improved. He still sells useless garbage. Of course, the kits he sends to magazines for review he carefully casts and packs, to get a good review. Customer kits get no such special treatment. Every AEF kit comes with miscast and/or missing parts and he never answers emails or phone calls.
Since he sells on the internet, takes credit cards, and ships through the USPS, I'm very surprised that this guy hasn't been brought up on Federal fraud charges yet. Really.
glock17c
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
KitMaker: 133 posts
Armorama: 130 posts
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2010 - 08:17 AM UTC
If you want to do the M55S1, it is the only kit availabl, AFAIK. Compared to a massive scratchbuild, it worth the dealing with it. I had the chance to work on the real 1/1 M55S1, and the kit is pretty accurate..
The casting quality of AEF is well known.
Conclusion, go ahead, it will come up to a nice model after all.

best regards
Michael
pigsty
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2010 - 11:11 PM UTC
A mixed picture, then! Thanks all - will dither for a bit longer.
goodhunting
Visit this Community
Slovenia
KitMaker: 74 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 07:29 AM UTC
Well if you are going for a recent stuff and accuaracy of events...
you would have to model it in a storage... so "minor issues" like these would not matter...

GH
MerkavaMkIII
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 07:36 PM UTC
ONLY if TONY at AEF cared about his castings as much as he cares about the masters he makes..
you are better off doing a scratch build!
 _GOTOTOP