Tristar Airborne Welbikes
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2010 - 08:37 AM UTC
Hi folks,

I though it was time to have a go at the New Tristar kit of the Airborne Welbikes.

I reviewed this set a while back. Link below:

http://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/4620

Maybe get a start tomorrow evening.

Cheers

Al
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2010 - 07:38 PM UTC
Looking forward to this one Al, it'll be interesting to compare it to the Dargon offering. Maybe I should build mine parallel? (not that I have any spare modeling time apart from current projects... )

Cheers
Stefan
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 03:51 AM UTC
Hi Stefan,

I think the difference in the Welbikes is that the Tristar set fold down into the container if you want and the DML Set doesn't.

For a third alternative there is the Spearhead Minitures set that includes the Tristar Welbikes but with alternative figures

I've built the DLM SAS chaps, they are OK useable, and I like the poses, but I still feel they missed the boat with a rushed release.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 03:25 AM UTC
Hi folks,

Well the buidl is underway. The first thing to say is that these are very, very small parts . I put a 1p coin in the pics to give you an idea.

Part 1 of the build is the engine, made up of 8 parts!!

This went together fairly easily although I did cut off the end nodule on part 40 but part 26 still fitted OK so no major cock up there.

Next came the wheels. You get a nice little jig to shapr the PE spokes. First time I've tried something like this, reasonable result the next one will be better I hope. Use parts 36 and 35 respectively to press the PE down into the jig and then add the wheel, reverse the process this time fixing parts 36 and 35 respectively inside the spokes.

Next I added the petrol tanks to the frame, best leave the pedels off at this point as you need to press the frame together when you have added the 'inside bits'. I needed to drill out the small end of the PE chain, do this before you remove it from the PE fret to avoid breakage as happened on my first effort.

Study the plans carefully and build the interior from both sides as appropriate, then lock the two frames together.

The container is straightforward with some PE to be added, just follow the plans.

Only part I had trouble with was part 29. I think it needs trimmed down a bot more to fit properly but hopefully I can add it before I move on.

The handlebars and seat need added next along with the exhaust and final fittings. This isn't a hard build just very trickey because of the tiny size of the parts.

I'll build one bike erected and one closed and see how they turn out.

Al
JakreiPete
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 04:40 AM UTC
Hi Al
I had to build one of these to sculpt the Spearhead figure that is 'messing' about with the bike-I didn't find it particulary difficult but the end result was good-very fragile and something akin to handling a live butterfly!!!
I haven't seen the Dragon offering so couldn't say which is better but this Tristar kit is really cool!!! The containers open up all sorts of dio possibilities but I just don't have the time for it anymore!!!!
Cheers
Pete
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 06:12 AM UTC
YouŽre off to a good start Alan. Never heard of Spearhead before ... are they British?
Have always been a fan of Tristar, and will probably pick these up sometime soon ... if only to complete the collection! Will be watching.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 07:09 AM UTC
Hi Pete,

I picked up a set of the Spearhead Paras and bikes as I liked the look of them.

Handling a butterfly is about right on the Welbikes , some very small parts . From what I've seen the DML kit doesn't offer as many possibilities and marrying it up with some old figures, that don't really suit was a mistake.

I had a lot of fun with the Resicast containers and I think there are great possibilities with the Tristar set and the Bikes.

Hi Frank,

Spearhead are a new British Manufacturer, Pete has been doing some grand figures for them and I've reviewed some of them here on site:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showmaker&makerid=802

Cheers guys.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 - 10:07 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

A bit more progress:

Some paint on the bike. I had to shorten the handlebar straight as it extended beyond the edge of the frame. Whether this was a build error by me or the part is too long when folded I don't know. Anyway the 1st bike is pretty much done I just need to add some cabeling.

The next effort will be with the handlebars up and I have the figures/containers to build too.

Al
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 - 10:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Frank,
Spearhead are a new British Manufacturer, Pete has been doing some grand figures for them and I've reviewed some of them here on site:
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showmaker&makerid=802

Thanks Alan. They look great. I really like the bust.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 - 10:42 PM UTC
Hi Frank,

There is an article in Military Modelling of 5th Feb 2010 by Mark Simons, of the 1:9 Desert Rat Pete Sculpted for Spearhead., if you are thinking BIG.

Al
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 - 10:46 PM UTC
Also

Thanks again Alan. I donŽt buy every issue anymore ... but IŽll check around ... maybe some one local has picked it up.
martyncrowther
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,548 posts
Armorama: 1,407 posts
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 - 11:32 PM UTC
Hi Alan, nice work! Do you know much about the bikes themselves? Did they serve in every combat mission that the paras did? WHat happeed to them after Arhnem, did the Germans use them?
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 01:25 AM UTC
Hi Martin,

They were used by both the Paras and the Commandos during D Day, but the time Arnhem came along they were mostly repleced by larger bikes, BSA and Triumph but a couple at least were used at Arnhem and I believe the Polish Paras had them as well. Can't say about the Rhine Crossing as I haven't moved that far ahead yet still fighting on the Normandy Beaches lol, lol.

Here is a good link that answers most of your questions.

http://home.earthlink.net/~flyboyken/id15.html

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 07:02 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Unfortunately I got diverted in the middle of these chaps and building the bikes, but I think I better get a move on them. I did get as far as assembling the upper and lower body parts but..... As I'm waiting on the Sherman Campaign to begin and I have the bulk of the Churchill interior built, time to try and squeeze these into the Paint Your Troops Campaign which has been a lot of fun.

Should have some updates over the next few days.

Anyone else completed the set yet? Pop in a picture if you have.

Al
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 09:55 AM UTC
Looks good, Al. Keep up the work. Are you planning a dio?
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 02:58 AM UTC
Hi bill,

I might incorporate these in the airborne dio, I've been building stuff for.

I've opted for the standing figure and kneeling figure. The Tristar Paras are pretty good. The faces come in 2 halfs, first time I've encountered this so I'll use those heads and see how they turn out. Bit of filling and sanding needed, then get some base paint on.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2011 - 12:08 AM UTC
Hi folks,

This is one of those builds that go left behind as my mind switched to other things, but it's been sitting on the workbence looking at me to get on and get it finished. One I relocate the safe palce I put the figuers in I hope to get on with things.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2012 - 01:43 AM UTC
Hi folks,

Well I got way diverted from working on these, as you do , but thought I'd try and get a move on and get them built before I loose the parts.

The only real problem with the kit is the rear mudguard. This is easily broken when removing it from the tree. Anyway got started yesterday and hope to get a fair bit done this weekend.

The parts in this kit are obviously very tiny so the carpet momster is at work but I should get 3 bikes complete at least. Two of the containers I'll do as closed as at some point in the future there may be a home for them on the wings of a plane!!

Cheers

Al
bigmal
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 211 posts
Armorama: 176 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2012 - 04:33 AM UTC
I`d like to do some Welbikes but don`t know if i could deal with such small parts, especially the PE.
Having said that i am doing the AFV Club EOD Robot and that is quite small too.

Malcolm
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2012 - 05:19 AM UTC
Hi Malcolm,

If you have a good magnifier and take time you'll be OK. The Bikes are very detailed, not easy but a challenge.

Have fun with the EOD Robot. Just adding some cables at the moment

Cheers

Al
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2012 - 08:50 AM UTC
Nice work as always, Al. Cheers!
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2012 - 10:46 AM UTC
Hi Bill,

Thanks, got some cable, the break handle fitted to one. Some paint added so they are moving along.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 21, 2012 - 10:08 PM UTC
Hi folks,

a bit more work.

Al

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 - 03:15 AM UTC
Well that about bring this one to a close less a little dust on the boots!

A very nice kit, I switched the rifles as the bolts on the kit parts are on the wrong side, but they could be used with a cover over the breech block.

Cheers

Al
 _GOTOTOP