_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Pacific Shermans
Bombshell
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 293 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2002 - 07:55 AM UTC
I have the Italeri kit and my hope is to start building it when classes end. My question is in regards of the woodden planks.
In the kit Italeri instruct us to paint them with the overall color of the tank. I don't have any references on this, but I think it would look very cool if the planks were left unpainted. Is that a possibility?

Also, does anyone have any pictures of Pacific M4A3s? I find the markings included in the kit quite boring. I've tried finding pictures on the internet, but all I could find were Shermans on the ETO.

Thanks,

~CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2002 - 08:39 AM UTC
I have so little info on Pacific Shermans that it's sad.
I was able to locate some reviews for you on the Italeri kit. If you did'nt find em already yourself...

http://pmms.webace.com.au/reviews/vehicles/it6389.htm

http://www.missing-lynx.com/reviews/usa/ital6389.htm

http://www.internetmodeler.com/2002/march/first-looks/Italeri_M4.htm

I'll see if I can find some pic...
TheGame
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 98 posts
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2002 - 09:21 AM UTC
Don't forget to put a couple 1/35 coconuts on the Sherman :-)
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2002 - 09:31 AM UTC
Here's an example of a model with the wooden applique armor unpainted:

One thought you could do is paint the wood weathered, ie. the OD chipping or fading off it.
Bombshell
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2002 - 10:33 AM UTC
Thanks for the links and pics. The coconut idea is very interesting also. Maybe put the tank under some palm trees. What is best to simulate sand?

Cheers,

~CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC

Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2002 - 07:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the links and pics. The coconut idea is very interesting also. Maybe put the tank under some palm trees. What is best to simulate sand?

Sand, specifically the sandbox type, also labeled as pool filter sand. A 50 lb bag is $2 at Wal-Mart, but I bet if you ask, they'd let you take a zip-lock bag of the spilled stuff that is constantly on the floor of their garden section. Model rail road shops also have sand type material, but at a premium.
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2002 - 09:48 PM UTC
What are those vertical, uh, things on the back of that Sherman???

YodaMan
Go Red Wings
Aww, how sad. Avs lose game 3...
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2002 - 10:12 PM UTC
Ahhh, those are the intakes for the rocket propulsion systems.

Really now, they are what's called "wading trunks". Used for when the tank goes for a little swim. Keeps it's air intake and exhuast above water.
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 455 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2002 - 10:14 PM UTC
The vertical things are the deep wading trunks, used to get the thing to the beach when unloading offshore from an LST. Unlike European beaches, the extensive coral reefs often meant that landing craft couldn't get in close and had to drop vehicles a few hundred yards out in three to five feet of surf.

I too have little on Pacific Shermans, but the Osprey modeling manual on the type (decent Brit reference) has an article with three different USMC Shermans. All have various field armor and really pretty camouflage jobs. In all cases, the wooden planks were painted with the rest of the vehicle--at least with these models. The photos I have in Hunnicutt's book and a few others seem to suppor t the contention that the planks were painted, not left in their natural state. One unfortuanate aspect of the Italeri kit is that it is another rendition of their M4A3, not an M4A2 which was more common in Marine service. STILL...nobody makes an M4A2; you have to kitbash.
Greg
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2002 - 10:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

One thought you could do is paint the wood weathered, ie. the OD chipping or fading off it.

19K---Lord that is a nicely done kit. The contrast between the paint of the tank and the wood is amazing. Nice job!
DJ
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2002 - 10:47 PM UTC
Did MP Models (the guys who made the Easy 8 suspension, and a few conversion sets in plastic) ever do an M4A2 conversion hull? I know they did do several conversions back when the original Tamiya M4A3 and Italeri M4A1 were the only real kits out there. I've got the Easy 8 suspension and I know it had a listing of their product line, I just can't remember what other conversions they did.
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 - 12:35 AM UTC
Good question, Rob. I don't know what all MP did; I do know that they are out of business. I understand that hteir stuff ws good, and in plastic, too. I don't mind resin myself, but I know some fellows prefer styrene. I think that the only way to go right now is an upper hull from Tank Workshop. I have their Firefly turret--pretty good, but CMD's is better.
Greg
Bombshell
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 - 12:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I too have little on Pacific Shermans, but the Osprey modeling manual on the type (decent Brit reference) has an article with three different USMC Shermans. All have various field armor and really pretty camouflage jobs. In all cases, the wooden planks were painted with the rest of the vehicle--at least with these models. The photos I have in Hunnicutt's book and a few others seem to suppor t the contention that the planks were painted, not left in their natural state.
Greg

Would you care to elaborate on the really pretty camouflage jobs (colors, patterns, pictures)? :-) :-) :-)
Thanks,

~CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 - 02:58 AM UTC
Reimund--there is a great book by Osprey on Shermans. It displays several examples of Marine Corps assault Shermans. Very nicely done. I will scan the shots tonight and ask Jim to assist in posting. I think you will find them of value.
DJ
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 - 03:07 AM UTC
DJ, sounds like we're talking the same book here. If you can get the images scanned for everybody, that would be great. I don't have the equipment and am too stupid to get it right besides.
Bombshell, the colors were all over the map: OD of course, but some repainted entirely in a sand/earth brown wavy pattern. Some included a reddish clay color, too. It appears that within each Marine Tank Brigade there WAS some uniformity of color and to a lesser extent pattern. But each brigade was different from each other, in colors and in materials selected for additional armor protection. One of them even welded six-inch nails around the hatches, pointy side up, to discourage Japanese form getting on top and opening the hatch to drop grenades! HTH,
Greg
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 - 07:24 AM UTC
If y'all are looking for resin M4A2 conversions try Tank Workshop VLS sells them There are 2 types they have early and late They are designed for the Tamiya shermans I don't know if they'll fit on the Italeri hulls Try this link www.modelmecca.com That's VLS
Chad
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 - 07:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

DJ, sounds like we're talking the same book here. If you can get the images scanned for everybody, that would be great. I don't have the equipment and am too stupid to get it right besides.
Bombshell, the colors were all over the map: OD of course, but some repainted entirely in a sand/earth brown wavy pattern. Some included a reddish clay color, too. It appears that within each Marine Tank Brigade there WAS some uniformity of color and to a lesser extent pattern. But each brigade was different from each other, in colors and in materials selected for additional armor protection. One of them even welded six-inch nails around the hatches, pointy side up, to discourage Japanese form getting on top and opening the hatch to drop grenades! HTH,
Greg

Sir--I shall get it done shortly.
DJ :-)
Michel
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 95 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 02:37 AM UTC
MP Models did an early M4 hull and a complete US M4A4/ Brit' Firefly.....Pretty crude short run injection plastic kits ! That ' s History...No more !
And although I ' ve a lot of doc and pics about POA Sherman, I never saw an unpainted wood armor...So it should exist ! :-)
' ve a nice day...!
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 330 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 02:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

19K---Lord that is a nicely done kit. The contrast between the paint of the tank and the wood is amazing. Nice job!
DJ

Now were these Shermans tanks M4A3 Woody's?
 _GOTOTOP