_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Tamiya T-62
jerry009
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 35 posts
Armorama: 23 posts
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2003 - 11:27 AM UTC
hello all!

just picked up this kit and was wondering if there was any problems with it....i already plan on getting the PE kit and possibly a turned barrel (don't think there is one on the market yet) any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated! thank all!

jerry
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2003 - 12:08 PM UTC
well, there are all the detail issues, but the new Eduard set is pretty comprehensive..

There are problems with the turret being too shallow.. Verlinden's replacement is too..CMD makes a good replacement

Barrel needs work, Modelpoint does one, maybe by now Eduard too.

The AA mg is garbage, but Fruil does a nice one and there is the one in the T55 kit.

Tracks are drek, but Modelkatsten, Fruil and Armor Track replace them fine..

so the real question is how much money do you want to throw at it?

Mike
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2003 - 01:17 PM UTC
I just bought a bunch of aftermarket for my T-62A kit. It is an old, inaccurate kit and I felt like I was throwing good money after bad. Made before Soviet vehicles were readily available for inspection. Even the US acquired ones were kept behind chain link fence. Only T-62 in 1/35 though. Here's the stuff I collected up:

Eduard PE set #35507, really necessary to fix bad detailing and add missing items. It rebuilds the DShK AA machine gun. (about $20+)
Barrel Depot #35006 115mm aluminum barrel ($12)
ModelKasten K-12 T-62/72/55M track links ($23)
MR Modellbau MRA-3583 "Starfish" type T-54/55 road wheels (I wasn't quite satisfied with the kit road wheels) ($15)

This was going to be my Cold War Cook Off entry, but I bit off more than I could chew with all the AM items in one kit with a time limit looming. Had to do some hunting for the tracks and wheels too.
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2003 - 02:27 PM UTC
Didn't Cookie Sewell (sp?) do a article in FSM about fixing this kit? I am pretty sure it was this one. It had to do with moving the the location of some of the parts and some other stuff. I will look through my stacks this weekend and see if I can find it.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2003 - 02:49 PM UTC
Doh! Forgot the biggie from Cookies article..
The cooling fan bulge on the bottom of the rear hull is too small or in the wrong place... it needed major Sewell-esque reworking..

Or you could just buy and build the new Tamiya T55...actually 2 of them from the price you'll pay for a passable T62.

Mike
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2003 - 06:32 PM UTC
Trumpeter or somebody made a series of chinese tanks. Any of those T-62 sisters? And if so, any of those in better shape?
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2003 - 11:32 PM UTC
Nope, as far as I know none of the Trumpeter kits can be made straight into a vanilla T62.
good thought though.

Probably some are close, but would have chinese fender mounted lights and different sights.

Any Chinese armor experten out there?

Mike
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 12:47 AM UTC
Cookies T-62M article is also in the Armor Conversion and Detailing Projects from Fine Scale Modeler and Kalmbach books. It runs about $15 and I recently picked up one at my local Hobbytown USA. ISBN 0-89024-268-2.
jerry009
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 35 posts
Armorama: 23 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 02:08 AM UTC
Geesh.....i seem to pick all the really fun and exciting projects.....well i guess i will have to do some more spending......maybe i will just pick up the new tamiya t-55 and slowly get all the aftermarket pieces for the t-62
anyhow.....thank you all for the advice and help....as always this is the reason that makes this site truly the best modeling site on the web...thanks again all

jerry
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 545 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 03:52 AM UTC
Hey guys,

Have to chime in here as I too have a couple of T-62's sitting int he closet for a build one of these days.

As for the Starfish wheels, a better alternative to MR (my humble opinion) is CMD. These are clean and crisp and about the same price. Easier to obtain too.

Turrets, which one are you doing? Early T-62 or late T-62? Are you making a T-62, or a T-62A, a T-62K, a T-62M1, a T-62K, aT-62D, a T-62MK, or a T-62MV. There are subtile differences in the command, rangfinder, etc. Are you wanting ERA or not? CMD makes both types of turrets and there is a resin company out there (AEF, or JS Models, ?????) that makes the ERA.

Scratch all if you are out after an Iraqi or Taliban T-62 as they both had the surplus Polish and Czech discards and were modified (Iraqi's upgraded, Tali's ........) and some were not. But several shots of T-62's in Afganistan (that I have on the hard drive) have some of the more Polish and Czech style of tool bins than the earlier Russian manufacturing plants.

Of course, all this is just minor details for the most sever AMS sufferer amoungst us.

HTH,
Dave
 _GOTOTOP