_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Question About This Tree Pic From Doc Dio's
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
Armorama: 727 posts
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2003 - 05:13 PM UTC
I was looking on Doc Dios, and found a step by step deal on how to make trees from spices. It said the trees were made out of "sea foam" a plant that you can get at a model RR shop. What is "sea foam" called here in the US?

Here is the pic,

What is that made out of!

~Chip
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2003 - 06:48 PM UTC
It mght be Caspia. Years ago I read an article in FSM on how to make trees using tiny twigs and glueing strands of caspia to them. So into the fron yars got a pile of twigs and tiney branches, then down to the hobby lobby and bought some caspia and a can of a dark green spray paint. Superglued strands of the caspia to the twigs and by George it looked as good as the pictuers in the article made a couple of trees and some hedgerow style bushes. broke off a few strand of caspia and layed them over my Tiger tank....bingo diorama. Pulled up a woody weed chopped off upper portion and after cleaning dirt off it sprayed the root stem with glue and coated that with a bunch of green herb spices like parsley and oregano flakes..... tree (smells delightful to)
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 12:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What is "sea foam" called here in the US?

It is called the same thing but as far as I know you cannot get in the US. Blaster's idea about using caspia is pretty good. I have done it myslef.
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,318 posts
Armorama: 837 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 03:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Years ago I read an article in FSM on how to make trees using tiny twigs and glueing strands of caspia to them.

Don't forget the candy tuft. That is a great article. I read it again just the other day. Between caspia and candy tuft, you can make any type tree you like.

Patrick
DougMauserFa
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 02:37 PM UTC
Try looking at craft stores, that's where I get it from. People use it got dried flower arrangements.
laurie
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 217 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 07:05 AM UTC
You can find a lot of woodland materials in a garden centre, just take a look in the store, you can find nice things there!

Laurie :-) :-) :-)
 _GOTOTOP