_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Ft Knox
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 574 posts
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2002 - 12:06 PM UTC
guys,

Just found the pictures I took last september at the Patton museum. I was only able to do the outside. I tried to do the USAFM and Ft. Knox. I didn't make it.

http://www.salt6.addr.com/ft__knox.htm

Also got some pictures of the M198 howitzer. The marines had one out while my battalion was doing the APFT. so I was able to take some pictures. Never leave home without a camera.

http://www.salt6.addr.com/m198.htm

Later,
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2002 - 10:18 PM UTC
Steve--Well done! Brings back some wonderful memories of Knox.
thanks
DJ
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 - 12:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Brings back some wonderful memories of Knox.

I get the feeling you're not talking about that James Bond movie...
Great pics, Steve! Those site will be going into my 'favorite links' folder. Thanks!

YodaMan
Bombshell
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 293 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 - 12:50 AM UTC
Awesome pictures Steve!

I am going down to Fort Knox this summer for LTC (Leadership Tarining Course). I will bring my digital camera to take pictures on Sundays when we are free.

Cheers,

~CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 - 02:51 AM UTC
Reimund---I'd appreciate it if you took some shots of the exhibits located on the far side of the museum. This area use to contain the Shermans and a few German vehicles. I recall that the Museum back hauled several of the German vehicle back to their country of origin to get them in tip top shape. Be interesting to see if the returned. Inside the museum, they have one of the few 105 Shermans still around. The baby was in mint condition. Regardless, it is a great place to visit and I trust it will become your future spawning ground as an Armor Officer.
Do well!
DJ
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 - 02:56 AM UTC
Salt6, I was there about the same time you were. About the 8th or so.
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 455 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 - 03:19 AM UTC
Great pics; reminds me of my ROTC basic there twenty years ago. Sorry, guys, I didn't get a commission. Something about a pretty girl getting in the way...

I thought I saw one of those behemoth M103 heavy tanks amongst those pictures. Has anybody ever made a kit of that beast, other than the little Roco Minitanks one? Or a really good set of plans? That beastie has always fascinated me....
Greg
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 574 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 - 03:32 AM UTC
No M103's something called a T29.

Oh btw if you look at the front slope of the M1 the top and bottom plate is cracked open.

I was there late in the month after two weeks at Ft. Lee.

Bombshell
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 293 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 - 04:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Reimund---I'd appreciate it if you took some shots of the exhibits located on the far side of the museum. This area use to contain the Shermans and a few German vehicles. I recall that the Museum back hauled several of the German vehicle back to their country of origin to get them in tip top shape. Be interesting to see if the returned. Inside the museum, they have one of the few 105 Shermans still around. The baby was in mint condition. Regardless, it is a great place to visit and I trust it will become your future spawning ground as an Armor Officer.
Do well!
DJ

HOOAH SIR!
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 - 04:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No M103's something called a T29.

The M103 is in downtown Radcliff (or what passes for downtown) right off of 31W (aka Dixie Highway), just before the Lincoln Trail Blvd intersection. Yes, someone does do an M103 conversion...or is it a full kit? Commander does the M103 though, I believe it is a full kit.

For those of you who do not know what an M103 is, it is a very heavy US tank, came out around the time the M48 did and closely resembles an M48 on a serious case of steroids. It was armed with a 120mm main gun and the turret was huge. We pawned them off on the Marines and most eventually ended up as hard targets on various ranges in the US.
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 455 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 - 04:54 AM UTC
For those of you who do not know what an M103 is, it is a very heavy US tank, came out around the time the M48 did and closely resembles an M48 on a serious case of steroids. It was armed with a 120mm main gun and the turret was huge. We pawned them off on the Marines and most eventually ended up as hard targets on various ranges in the US.[/quote]

Just what the Marines ALWAYS need, a monster tank for amphibious landings! I'm sure by now most of them are absolutely shot to hell...too bad. One of those babies would make a really cool restoration project and I for one would love to tool around in the thing!
Greg :-)
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 - 07:48 AM UTC
If you get into Skidgel Hall, we put the 120mm casing from that system in a glass case. I could not believe their height and weight. Massive system. Now, we also had the tank out Skidgel. Take a close look at her. It is a very cramped turret arrangement. I bet she only carried twenty rounds for the main gun. Impressive.
DJ
 _GOTOTOP