_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
CHALLY HO! A Challenger 1 WIP
wing_nut
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
Armorama: 674 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 12:13 AM UTC
Thank you Christopher. It is a nice break from the WWII stuff.
Firecap4
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 309 posts
Armorama: 288 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 02:08 AM UTC
VERY nice work, Marc; I swear I never gave much thought to either the Challenger I or II, but by golly after seeing yours and some of the other ones on here darn if I don't want to try my hand at one...
pebblemonkey
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 180 posts
Armorama: 151 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 02:36 AM UTC
Stunning model already.
Disappointed with Tamiya, that you have to put so much work into making a decent job of representing the real vehicle!

Matt
wing_nut
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 12:45 PM UTC
Thanks Chuck. I know what you mean about modern stuff. Still not too sure what made me pick this subject but i am glad I did.

Matt, thank you. I agree with you on Tamiya but fortunately there is good advise and info here to push me to try new stuff.
wing_nut
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 - 11:37 AM UTC
Since there is not way in the world this is ready for Saturday, I am going to push this to the back burner for a short period of time. This way I can spend what precious little bench time I have lately to go over m entries and looks for boo boos Then some time on a commission build that has been too long to start.

But since I actually "strapped for time" I figured what better for the update than... straps. Lead foil threaded though tiny little O-rings.

heliman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 604 posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 - 05:29 PM UTC
any new updates so far? I'm building one right now, and realizing how many detail opportunities I missed. Keep the info coming! The headlights are very well done with the added wiring!

Jeff
wing_nut
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 02:34 AM UTC
Hi Jeff
Sorry for the delay in responding. Been a while since I checked in here. The Chally has been on the back burner since March. Business really picked up alot... a good thing... and I was way behind on a commission project that I had to get done.

But I am just about ready to get her going again.
panzerIV
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 781 posts
Armorama: 676 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 04:38 AM UTC
hey Marc

love the challenger! i have same kit upstairs but its jsut been sitting there waiting to be completed
i love your scratchbuilding its really bringing out lots of detail

keep it up. i look forward to seeing your next update

tony
chrisj
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
KitMaker: 473 posts
Armorama: 467 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 07:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Marc, nice work! I feel your pain on the fuel drum brackets.

Google books has a good chunk of that chapter. Pics might be kind of small to help, but here is the link anyways:

Challenger 1 Mk 3 KFOR

Too many over scaled parts
intake8610
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 05, 2011 - 12:35 AM UTC
Marc,

Fantastic work mate, I spent 2 years as a gunner on one of these beasts in West Germany (clue to age!).
Your job is spot on, I am a modeller myslef but only over the last few years have i dared to enter the field of super detailing! I have a way to go before i even approach your level, but hey, its a fun learning process.
My main interest lies (predictably) in cold war era warsaw pact and British armour.
I am 3/4 of the way through a Mk11 Chieftain (i trained on those, and served my last 2 years on them too) and have just started painting the skif +plus AA T64b. (The Chiefy is AA too)
Your work is fantastic, I'm enjoying seeing so many of the details jumping out, and actually smiling thinking "bloody hell, i remember always tripping over that bleedin thing putting up the cam nets in a troop hide!"
I'm just getting me head round what a brilliant resource this site is, keep the pics coming!
John
wing_nut
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2011 - 01:33 AM UTC
John

Can't thank you enough for posting and the comments made. High praise indeed to have a 2 year vet on one of the these say "spot on". I have not touched this build since March last year. It is the only shelf queen I have, or have ever had. I have been looking at it of late thinking it needs soem attention. Your comments may have just pushed back to the front of the line... or pretty darn close to it
 _GOTOTOP