_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
NEWS
Masterbox WiP: DAK Mortar Crew
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 - 05:16 AM UTC
Another in our continuing series showing WiPs from Masterbox Ltd with NEW images of a NEW set. This time, 3587 - German Mortar Crew, DAK. The Photo-Report can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 - 05:28 AM UTC
This bodes well for the future, nice looking set, could that all elusive British 3" mortar be one step closer??

Useful looking set, looks like a large tank approaching or a moment before panic sets in from a spotted air strike? Maybe it's just those bayonet glistening in the sun!!

Al
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Armorama: 713 posts
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 - 05:29 AM UTC
Nice teaser, Jim...I like the details, lots of action going on in the set.
Bravo, Masterbox, keep them coming!!
tutdiesel
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 251 posts
Armorama: 187 posts
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 - 07:11 AM UTC
I love the variety that Masterbox has. It seems like few of their sets are predictable. This is the third proposed North Africa set maybe we'll even get some GI's at Kasserine Pass!
Microsculpt
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 - 06:32 PM UTC
Since this is a WIP, I'll comment — I hope Masterbox is listening.

I like the subject matter and the animation of the mortar team. It is good to see some more DAK figure sets.

Like the British Desert Rat set, the clothing looks a bit too form fitting. The pants are not baggy enough and the helmets also sit a bit too high. These should be fairly easy modifications.

The officer looks a bit stiff and awkward. Especially his left leg and foot. The pose does not look natural or convincing. I'm not sure why he is looking up. A change of uniform might be nice. Perhaps the tall desert boot?

The best figure in the set is the fellow bringing up the boxes. Good animation, and really looks like he is carrying a difficult load.

I hope this is a helpful critique.

Tom
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 - 06:50 PM UTC
Nice to see a mortar crew for the African theatre. I have both DML mortar sets, the Zvezda one, and the Tamiya one - but this is the first DAK set I've seen...definitely a must buy!
gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 795 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 - 06:58 PM UTC
Overall I like these. My only real critique would be the Tamiya-like technique of moulding on the helmet straps and gasmask container straps. I know these are probably helpful for a lot of people but I prefer to add my own where they shouldn't be figure hugging so it requires a little more work to remove the moulded on ones.

But that said I realise you can't please all of the people all of the time.
Monsoon
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 81 posts
Armorama: 69 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 10:02 AM UTC
They look good, but did anyone notice that Binocular Dude has his MP-40 pouches on upside down??
 _GOTOTOP