MAC Mercedes L701 Truck with Holzengas
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 - 09:56 PM UTC
Hello

I finished this one a few weeks ago, I've just painted a couple of figures & some small bits and it will now probably be added to a diorama.

The MAC 1/72nd kit is called German 3t Vehicle with Wood Gas Generator

I believe its the Opel Blitz built under licence by Merecedes after the Opel plant was bombed out of production in 1944, known as the Mercedes L701

It has the late war non metal cab, and the Wood Gas Generator fited to save using petrol.

There are a few pictures in existence of these trucks in use with troops late in the war.

I placed the figures to look like they are loading up with bags of wood chips (in place of jerry cans)

the diorama I have photographed it on is where it will live, though maybe not in the exact spot I photographed it in.

cheers
Neil

PanzerAlexander
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 625 posts
Armorama: 608 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 02:13 AM UTC
That's a nice dio you setting up buddy.

Any chance you show us the whole scene as well?

So these cars used steam to move if I understand well?

What kind of figures are you using? From my research I have not found 1/72 figures of soldiers carrying stuff.

Just a quick note. You can add realism on your models by drilling the inside of the headlamps, then paint the inside with silver and finally fill the lamp again with 2 part epoxy glue.

Thanks, Alexander
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 02:41 PM UTC
Hi Alexander

thanks for your comment

the wood gas generator burnt wood or coal in the big black container behind the cab, then filtered and cooled the resulting gases that were released (through the apparatus on the front of the truck), then fed that gas to the carburettor.

the figures are a Pegasus mortar crew man with a Preiser head, and an old Esci figure. Rifles and helmet were Preiser. Bags of fuel made out of blu-tack, tissue and white glue.

thanks for the tip on the headlights, I will try it next kit. I usually paint blackout covers on lights but didnt do that properly this time, and one of the Mac headlights was a bit poorly cast.

the diorama is below - still needs lots of work on the buildings, two are scratchbuilt from balsa and card, two are kits

cheers
Neil

PanzerAlexander
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 625 posts
Armorama: 608 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 11:10 AM UTC
Big dio it's gonna take lots of kits to fill it.

I suppose the two white buildings are the ones you scratched?

Who is the manufacturer of the other two?
 _GOTOTOP