_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
WIP: Zvezda BTR-80A
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,526 posts
Armorama: 1,294 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 03:38 PM UTC
Here is what I have been working on for the past few weeks here and there. Zvezda 3560 BTR-80A kit. Work in progress and there is a lot to correct.. I've decided to challenge myself by not using any aftermarket products and scratch-build all corrections using Evergreen styrene..

Started with improving the kit wheels. Sanded off the edges to make them more round. Also glued small tread patterns in the middle made out of styrene strips. Doing so for 8 wheels took forever!

Comparison with the original wheel in the center- difference is visible

Moving onto the hull from the wheels

Evergreen strips here and there. More scratch-building:

Realized that kit part on the hood (what do you call that cover?) is too small in width and too big in length so I scratch-built another with better dimensions. Comparison:

More images on the way. Thanks for looking.
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 03:31 AM UTC
James, good job on the detailing so far.
Don't forget to remove the molded on vision ports glasses. In reality, they are under their cover and not jutting out like DML/Zvezda depict them. Get rid of any moveable hinge for the hatches but I think you've already started to do so for the driver compartment.

Good luck for your project !
Olivier
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 04:06 AM UTC
Thanks Olivier. Those vision ports are gonna be a pain to rework..
More work done with turret, etc.

with a scratch-built IR sensor (?)

Finally looking like a BTR-80A

TonyDz
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 420 posts
Armorama: 419 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 05:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

with a scratch-built IR sensor (?)

It's a search light. It can be IR or white light. Also there is no firing port on the right front.

tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 05:36 AM UTC
Your build is coming along very nicely, James. After building the smaller scale cousin of this beast I've really taken a shine to them. Will watch your build with interest and thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Jan
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 06:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Also there is no firing port on the right front.

Tony, thanks for pointing that out. Not sure if I'll change the port though. Looks like a few older models have it carried over from BTR-80 design. Like this Iraqi one (photo from wikimedia.org for discussion purposes only)
JimboHUN
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 461 posts
Armorama: 443 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 08:30 AM UTC
Dear James,

The Iraqi photo you've just attached, is not a BTR-80A. It seems to be another, maybe an experimental turret. Tha smoke grenade launchers are not positioned as on the A variant, and the gun is also different.

And please note that the A version has bigger wheels.

Maybe this helps:

Cheers,
Adam
TonyDz
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 09:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tony, thanks for pointing that out. Not sure if I'll change the port though. Looks like a few older models have it carried over from BTR-80 design. Like this Iraqi one

As Adam pointed out, that's not a BTR-80A. It's a BTR-94. Different vehicle. Production BTR-80As don't have that firing port. Remove it or not, that's up to you, it's your model.
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 09:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dear James,
The Iraqi photo you've just attached, is not a BTR-80A. It seems to be another, maybe an experimental turret. Tha smoke grenade launchers are not positioned as on the A variant, and the gun is also different.

And please note that the A version has bigger wheels.
Maybe this helps:
Cheers,
Adam

Adam, thanks for the note. On the second look, the vehicle in the photo may be BTR-94. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BTR-94
I got the other photo from http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:BTR-80A.JPEG I guess the caption is wrong. As for the wheels, they are older type tires (like ones in BTR-80) with the shields attached- just like the kit supplied wheels. I agree that I have not seen them in photos of BTR-80A. As far as I know, there is no after-market wheels like the current ones.
TonyDz
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 09:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

On the second look, the vehicle in the photo may be BTR-94. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BTR-94
I got the other photo from http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:BTR-80A.JPEG I guess the caption is wrong. As for the wheels, they are just older type tires with the shields attached- just like the kit supplied wheels. Those wheels are not as common in more recent photos of BTR-80A.

Wiki wrong, who would of thought it. No may be about it, it is a BTR-94. The Iraqis received no BTR-80As from Jordan. Only BTR-94s. I didn't want to bring up the tires since you put so much work into them, but since Adam brought it up....They are not bigger, but wider. Production BTR-80As use the wider tire with an open hub wheel, not with the wheel cover.
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 09:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wiki wrong, who would of thought it. No may be about it, it is a BTR-94. The Iraqis received no BTR-80As from Jordan. Only BTR-94s. I didn't want to bring up the tires since you put so much work into them, but since Adam brought it up....They are not bigger, but wider. Production BTR-80As use the wider tire with an open hub wheel, not with the wheel cover.

Yup, I found out just now. No BTR-80A with the older wheels.. Any aftermarket ideas? Probably gonna cost me an arm and a leg? Ha ha
TonyDz
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 10:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yup, I found out just now. No BTR-80A with the older wheels.. Any aftermarket ideas? Probably gonna cost me an arm and a leg? Ha ha

No it's not going to cost you anything, the shame of it is, is that no one makes the wider tires. I'd suggest you just use some open hub wheels and not worry about the tire width.
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 10:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No it's not going to cost you anything, the shame of it is, is that no one makes the wider tires. I'd suggest you just use some open hub wheels and not worry about the tire width.

Thanks Tony for all the updates. It is sad that no one makes the correct wheels. This Zvezda kit is more inaccurate than I expected.
Gorizont
Visit this Community
Sachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Armorama: 1,289 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 10:59 AM UTC
Thanks for showing the images of your progress with its pro´s and con´s!
I also had plans to build this kit.
The scratched parts/ details looking good!

greetings...
Soeren
JimboHUN
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 11:03 AM UTC
Dont worry, you can buy it Hungary as always, "rules" the world with its inventions
I will ask that guy, or tell him to have a look at this forum. He has the correct ones, with or without the plates. Maybe it has small differences compared to the russian one (I don't know, I never compared them), but it's much better then the one with the kit

You can try this mail: [email protected]

It was around 20 euros, but I am not sure.

I have no photos now but it looks great IMHO.

And don't get a heart attack, the anti-slip strips seen on my photo are on modernised hungarian ones, which is called BTR-80AM.

Cheers, Adam
dtsolo
Visit this Community
Shanghai, China / 简体
KitMaker: 18 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 12:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks Tony for all the updates. It is sad that no one makes the correct wheels. This Zvezda kit is more inaccurate than I expected.

Hi James
I had to say the Zvezda kits is much more inaccurate than this, I am working on a BTR80, The down hull is total wrong. The rear hull is same.

To much pain to build the BTR,

Solo
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 01:55 PM UTC
Just so you all know, there is only ONE BTR-80 kit out there...the original DML kit that has been repackaged for years...Zvezda is the DML kit. Zvezda DID do the new turret in the BTR-80A kit, but they did not revise anything on the hulls. They did redo the tires in plastic instead of the rubber DML used in the past.

As for wheels, ex-Capitan wheels have been released under the new lable of Planet Model, but I have only heard of them being available in Moscow. In person.

Trumpeter, via Mr. Gauyou, has shown pictures of their up-coming BTR-80 that will have newer, wider wheels. I cannot say if they are correct, but they do look different from the DML ones.
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 03:22 PM UTC
Just an fyi, there's a few good pics about 1/2 way down in this thread on MilPhotos.net:
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?99988-Russian-Photos-%28updated-on-regular-basis%29/page664 . Might be worth going through the many pages to find more.

Jim
TonyDz
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 03:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I had to say the Zvezda kits is much more inaccurate than this,

As pointed out, the Zvezda and DML are the same kit. So there is no way for the Zvezda one to be more inaccurate.

Quoted Text

They did redo the tires in plastic instead of the rubber DML used in the past..

They are not plastic. They are some kind of viynal that's even worse than the DML. They will melt the styrene if left in contact.
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 - 04:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As for wheels, ex-Capitan wheels have been released under the new lable of Planet Model, but I have only heard of them being available in Moscow. In person.

Trumpeter, via Mr. Gauyou, has shown pictures of their up-coming BTR-80 that will have newer, wider wheels. I cannot say if they are correct, but they do look different from the DML ones.

I guess I'll just have to wait on the wheels until Trumpeter comes through maybe in 2011 or 2012.. Or hopefully soon. Thank y'all for your comments. I'll work on the rest of the model except the wheels then put it in the storage. ha ha
JimboHUN
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 - 08:33 PM UTC
Dear James, as I've said, you can order it from Hungary. Maybe you have to wait a little, but I think it's worth.
Send your inquiry to: [email protected]

If it fails or you get no response, send me a PM.

Cheers,
Adam
dtsolo
Visit this Community
Shanghai, China / 简体
KitMaker: 18 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 01:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I guess I'll just have to wait on the wheels until Trumpeter comes through maybe in 2011 or 2012.. Or hopefully soon. Thank y'all for your comments. I'll work on the rest of the model except the wheels then put it in the storage. ha ha

Hi, James

And I think the Trumpeter will have their BTR-80A too, hope it will better than old Zvezda/DML.

What camo will you use on this BTR? I like KFOR.

Solo
Removed by original poster on 03/07/10 - 02:14:48 (GMT).
iamsu7
Vendor
TRUMPETER
Visit this Community
Anhui, China / 简体
KitMaker: 354 posts
Armorama: 339 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 02:18 PM UTC
Trumpeter BTR-80A 3D picture
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 03:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dear James, as I've said, you can order it from Hungary. Maybe you have to wait a little, but I think it's worth.
Send your inquiry to: [email protected]

If it fails or you get no response, send me a PM.

Cheers,
Adam

Thanks Adam for the suggestion and contact info. I don't know if I want to spend 20 euros + shipping when I can wait for a whole new kit for less than that. We'll see what Trumpeter has for us.

Gaoyue, that's one great looking BTR-80A there! Thank you so much for posting!
 _GOTOTOP