Hosted by Darren Baker
Building a series of Worlds Main Battle Tanks
Cookie
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 588 posts
Armorama: 490 posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 02:42 AM UTC
I have been considering building a series of 1/35 scale modern main battle tanks from around the world. I have in my stash an M1A1 Dragon Abram’s –USA and a Tamiya Russian T72. I would like to Add the French Leclerc , Italian Ariete, British Challenger, Israeli Merkava as well as Japananies ,Korean and as they are now available Chinese MBT’s. I know that the Tamiya German Leopard is the best of this kit. I was wondering how the Revell and HobbyBoss Kits measured up to the Tamiya model.

PS. Have i left any out.

Cooke
Dodger013
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 410 posts
Armorama: 83 posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 03:12 AM UTC
Had begun a similar series of builds, got the M1A2 SEP, M1A1 AIM, Leclerc, Challenger 2, Leopard 2A6 and Ariete so far. For Russia I was thinking to get the Miniarm T-90 conversion parts so I would have one of them but a T-72 I would think, would overall still work though after the Gulf War they pushed for the T-90 with mods to the T-72 to distance it from the poor performance against western tanks.

As for other world MBT's I guess it would be more versions of the Leopard 2A5/6 with Spain, Sweden, Greece (I think), Denmark, and the Netherlands.

Check for some Aussie specs on the M1A1 for their Abrams tanks. Hobbyfan has the TAM coming out which is Argentina's current MBT. Most middle east countries use a updated T-55/62 variant or Chinese variant of the same tank modded to their liking.

Japan has the Type 90. Korea the K1A1, not sure if the K2 has actually replaced it yet or if that is even easy to build or convert. China the Type 99A1 and A2 as far as the newest types but I bet the 98 and early 99 tanks would work out good too since they would be more numerous and plus now available that is a good thing.

There are quite alot overall but depends on how far you want to expand and what is available on the market I spose. Lot of possibilities though.

Good luck!

sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Armorama: 2,475 posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 03:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

PS. Have i left any out.

Cooke

How about the Leopard 2A6m CDN?

And the Leopard C2 MEXAS?

cheers

pigsty
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
Armorama: 451 posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 04:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hobbyfan has the TAM coming out which is Argentina's current MBT.

What? Yippee! One of my three missing L7-armed tanks! (Please don't tell me it has only the modern 120mm gun, though.)

In that vein, a lot of countries are still using old M60s, M48s, AMX-30s, Leopards 1s, and even Centurions as their front-line armour, so I guess it depends what you mean by "modern". Assuming it's "in production", one that's missing is the Arjun from India. Another is the Al-Khalid from Pakistan (another T-72 derivative). Doubt we'll ever see either - but then, I said that about the TAM, and Trumpeter gave us the Osorio a few years back,so who knows what might happen?

The Revell Leopard 2 range is actually the Italeri range. It's good, but not quite as good as Tamiya's, especially the tracks. On the other hand, it's a lot cheaper. Hobby Boss's are crude in places (eg the anti-slip coating) and have an odd feature whereby the turret sits too low at the rear, but their mould quality is good and their tracks nearly as good as Tamiya's. Apparently almost every one that they offer has slight errors. Armorama has a wealth of threads about them. However, Tamiya offers only the 2A5 and 2A6, so if you want one with a flat-fronted turret - and there's a lot still around - you need one of the others. If you're feeling flush, you could drop a Revell turret onto a Tamiya hull.
Dodger013
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 410 posts
Armorama: 83 posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 04:25 AM UTC
Oi...my apologies I botched that one up big time...>.>

The TAM isn't coming out I got confused with another from Hobby Fan the IKV 91. I was talking to a friend in Argentina and I guess it carried on my thoughts here with remembering the IKV the profile reminded of the TAM but is not at all! Sorry bout that...
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 791 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010 - 10:52 AM UTC
Don't forget South Africa, Argentina, Brazil, Australia....
metooshelah
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
KitMaker: 1,507 posts
Armorama: 1,304 posts
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010 - 11:28 AM UTC
Can't really recommend the revell leopard 2a6. You are better off with tamita or HB offering.
 _GOTOTOP