_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Accurate Armour M51 update set
Alanroy
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 65 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 05:57 AM UTC
Gentlemen,
I have acquired the DML M51, Premium Edition, as recommended by Tom Gannon. I am also ready to place an order with Accurate Armour for their update set for the kit. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions regarding the update set? Never having worked with an Accurate Armour set, and very little resin of any other kind, I would like to know just what would be involved. The instruction sheets would be a big help in seeing what gets cut, replaced, altered, etc. Some other manufacturers put PDF files of the instruction sheets on their site, and I’m going to ask AA if they could provide one, but thought I’d throw the idea out here also, along with a couple of other groups.
Thank you for any guidance you can give.
Regards,
Alan
[email protected]
stephane
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 432 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 07:10 AM UTC
Hi
Just from memory since i don't had a look on the set since years:
It's an excellent update (done by Mark Hazard i thinks), you have an accurate muzzle brake, some engine deck for backdating the kit for 1973 and plenty of better detailling parts.

In my opinion a great set.
Stéphane
Alanroy
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 07:14 AM UTC
Thank you, I'll probably get the set, along with their AMX-13 replacement tracks.
Regards,
Alan
Captin_Caveman_III
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,069 posts
Armorama: 1,062 posts
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2010 - 09:52 AM UTC
I can't wate to see your starting work.
tgannon
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 60 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2010 - 11:57 AM UTC
Definitely worth it. The engine deck, if I recall, allows you to flip it for '67 or '73, as the Dragon kit is post-1975. The muzzle brake alone is worth the price of the set. Mark is an excellent modeler, and it shows in the set.

Highly recommended!

Tom Gannon
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 876 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2010 - 03:53 PM UTC
I'll second Toms advice on the M51 kit. As to the AMX13 tracks I would say you may be better off geting some hetzer tracks. while not a "perfect match" they will be far sight easier to use. I If the tracks you are talkining about are the one piece resin ones I bought years ago you will need to be very good at heating and bending resin. I've built alot of great AA stuff but I really recommend against the amx tracks if they are the ones I mentioned.
Alanroy
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2010 - 09:39 PM UTC
Thank you, one and all. It's 5:30 Tuesday morning here at the office, and as soon as I hit the "post" button I'm switching sites to place the order. I had heard that the AMX tracks were a bit of a pain, and will probably go the Friulmodel late Hetzer route.
Love your Israeli Sherman book, Tom. I picked it up at AMPS in Havre de Grace last year, and was hanging around to meet you and maybe get you to sign it, but time ran out, and I had to leave.
Thanks again!
Regards,
Alan
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 08, 2010 - 02:57 PM UTC
Bringing this back to the top....

PMMS's review states that the "premium" Dragon kit fixes the muzzle brake issue of the old kit. Besides being a post '75 vehicle, are there addition accuracy issues?
 _GOTOTOP