_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
Significant News For KV Enthusiasts
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 08:48 PM UTC
Ever since the author, Neil Stokes, tantalized us with advance News of this book, many of us have been waiting in anticipation for details of what should become a MAJOR reference source for the Soviet KV Tank. Here are the details of this New book: KV – Technical History and Variants. Full Details and sample Images of the New book can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 - 04:36 AM UTC
I know the announcement of new books usually gets a big "zzzzzz" from many here, but this looks like the ultimate for Soviet WW II armor fans. I'm very impressed!
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 - 04:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I know the announcement of new books usually gets a big "zzzzzz" from many here,

Sometimes it's positively embarassing. I specifically asked the author (who's active on THIS site) for details of this book and he complied with FULL details and images. Surprise, surprise the reaction is the 'usual'.

'Oh, it's a book, since we can get EVERYTHING on the 'Net who needs books?' (or words to that effect)

In fact, this pretty much makes the previous books on the KV redundant - not to mention some of the material on the 'Web...
spoons
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 527 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 - 05:14 AM UTC
YOU CANT LOOK AT PICTURES OF TANKS ON-LINE WHILEST ON THE....ERM......JOB,SO I FOR ONE WILL BE ORDERING SAID BOOK !
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 - 05:35 AM UTC
I have taken the time to wish Neil all the best for his book in private, but the £85 price tag is not in my ball court for a single purchase at this time.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 - 07:02 AM UTC
Ah finally the tome hits the shelves! Congratulations Neil!
Neil and I are members of Northeast Military Modelers Association (IPMS & AMPS) and we've been friends for ten years. I have seen parts of the book over the years and this is truly the Hunnicutt of KV tanks. In addition to being technically stunning it's rich in history and full of vital information to the modeler.
If you would like to attend a seminar by Neil on KV tanks, come to IPMS AMPSEast in September.
This will definitely be added to my library ASAP and Neil, I expect you to autograph my copy with a heartfelt inscription!

Books are a priceless value. Books are my second hobby after modelling. I'm not one of those end-of-the-world people, but just think - a few huge solar flares could emit a massive electromagnetic pulse, and no more computers, internet, cell phones, or TV. Then it's just you, your models, and your books. Stock up on glue.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 - 07:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Books are a priceless value. Books are my second hobby after modelling. I'm not one of those end-of-the-world people, but just think - a few huge solar flares could emit a massive electromagnetic pulse, and no more computers, internet, cell phones, or TV. Then it's just you, your models, and your books. Stock up on glue.

Another reason for wearing a tinfoil hat?
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 - 07:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Another reason for wearing a tinfoil hat?

Only if you're building an air-o-plane!
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 - 08:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you would like to attend a seminar by Neil on KV tanks, come to IPMS AMPSEast in September.

A good reason to drive up to Darien if I'm not at DineAmerica that weekend. I'm very interested.

Quoted Text

Books are a priceless value.

I'm now acquiring a reference work for any major build I do. I'm no longer satisfied with the scanty (and often incorrect) information available on the 'Net, and feel like someone who's always bumming cigarettes from his friends instead of buying his own if I ask too much here. There are things that it's appropriate to ask, but many questions can be answered by a reference work.

While this one is going to be too expensive for many, if you plan on building more than one KV tank, it's really a great purchase. I am looking to pick up some Trumpeter KVs cheaply, and if I do, I would like to put a few $$$ to this book.
MrNeil
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 266 posts
Armorama: 262 posts
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 - 10:20 AM UTC
Gentlemen, thanks for all the good wishes. Matt, I'm going to hire you as my press agent

Yes, I realize the price tag is high and we did everything we could to keep it from going even higher. When all is said and done, you just can't produce a 560-page book with this much material for peanuts.

My intent was to provide a one-stop reference for all the KV variants that saw production. That's something that's never been done before and certainly not in English. Combined with the web site that lets me update information quickly and easily when new kits or after-market items are released, it should keep the KV-holics happy for some time to come.

Now, back to salivating over the thought of a Trumpeter KV-1S

Neil
Yoni_Lev
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 - 11:30 AM UTC
Finally! Woohoo!!

Pricey? Yes. Am I getting one? HELL YES.

-YL

EDIT: In all my excitement I forgot to say "Congrats, Neil".
panzergrenadier61
Visit this Community
Basel, Switzerland
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 14 posts
Posted: Friday, March 19, 2010 - 09:13 AM UTC
That's great news indeed. I don't think it's pricy for what it contains. I'm looking forward to get it into my hands and to have a look into it. Hopefully I'll get all the answers I was trying to get answered in vain as yet.

Maybe the best way to get to know the whole thing would be to crawl throug the whole interior and to take tank apart as I had the chance to do with a Kingtiger lately, but a well researched book would do nearly the same as well.

Many thanks in advance, Neil for having written the book.

Arun Bauer
Crossedrifles
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 70 posts
Armorama: 65 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 04:32 AM UTC
I'll sure be getting a copy. It will sure take the confusion out of building these beasts.
goldnova72
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 02:01 PM UTC
I'll have to cut back on beer and smokes to get one of these . Now for your next book - Russian SPGs ( SU85-122 ,ISU 122/152) ?
 _GOTOTOP