_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
MiniArt's Harley WLA
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 - 08:09 AM UTC
In the past, MiniArt models were like a box of chocolates - you never knew what you were going to get! Although detail was either heavy and clumpy, or just non-existant. Something happened in the last few years at MiniArt. Their figures, sculpted by the same artist who does TAHK (TANK) Miniatures, also does the masters for MiniArt, and they compare favorably with Dragon. Their new vehicle kits are no exception.
I just completed MiniArt's Harley-Davidson WLA - a real gem, (sorry no pictures) and gives Dragon kits and Lion Roar's BMW a run for their money. The model is molded in grey soft styrene. There are 74 plastic parts on one sprue, 3 clear parts, and some 25 PE parts making a grand total of 100+ pieces for a model about 3 inches long! The plastic parts are finely detailed, well molded, and well engineered, with no gaps to be filled. Mold seams are also very fine requiring very little clean up. Some of the pieces are very tiny, and the carpet monster is just waiting for them. The tires come in 3 pieces each for good tread detail and have PE spokes. Jigs are provided for bending the spokes and various brackets to the proper shapes. There is a clear sprue for the windshield, headlight lens, and speedometer. Decals are provided which may be the only real weak spot of this kit. I might mention that although the PE fret is up to standards, the brass is of a thin gauge and the pieces are too easily accidently bent, and make for a very fragile model when being handled during construction. The only modification I did was to do some undercutting on the saddlebag straps and rounding off the back edge of the bags, but that's just me.
No figures come with this initial Harley model, but it will be released in the future with 2 MP figures and 2 cycles in one set, and 3 mechanic figures with a further 2 cycles in a 3rd release.
To be consistant with the rating system, I would give this kit a 90 - 95 for the plastic parts, and an 80 for the PE - owing to the fact that it is thin and easily damaged during handling.
If this is any indication of MiniArt's future, then Dragon, Lion Roar, and Tristar better move over, or at least sit up and take notice!
 _GOTOTOP