_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Canadian 40mm Bofors
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 683 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 12:55 PM UTC
What exactly is the difference between a Canadian and an American 40mm Bofors? I am looking at the Bronco model, but would like to build it as an American Gun. My Dad's original Battalion was the 557 AAA(AW), he served in combat in another battalion but he always felt that the 557th was his "home" and we attended many reunion of the outfit together, so I would like to honor them. I know that Italeri has a 40mm, but if the Bronco is better I would like to make it. It appears that the Canadian has a gun shield, can it be left off?

John
retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 02:53 PM UTC
Hey I have the Bronco Bofors in my stash and wondering the same thing. Anyone know wazzup wid da Bofors ? Is the difference only slight or very different ? .......... Al
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 791 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 02:56 PM UTC
The Canadian Bofors had the Stiffkey gunsight. I believe the Americans preferred the web Otherwise pretty much the same. Both British and Canadian models had gunshields, the British a single plate and the Canadians two spaced plates. Gunshields were removeable and can be left off of all models.
jowady
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 11:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Canadian Bofors had the Stiffkey gunsight. I believe the Americans preferred the web Otherwise pretty much the same. Both British and Canadian models had gunshields, the British a single plate and the Canadians two spaced plates. Gunshields were removeable and can be left off of all models.

Thanks for the info, I can scratch the sight!

John
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Friday, March 19, 2010 - 12:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

John

You will need to do a lot more, the Bronco Bofors is a British pattern and has a significantly different trail to the US M1 pattern one. A lot of the US ones used in the pacific were to the same pattern as the Bronco one as they were supplied from Australian Manufacture.
The Italeri One is the US pattern Trail and Gun. A mix between the two may be the best way to go until the US pattern gun is released by either Bronco or AFV club - my guess is a Bronco tooled AFV release.
Al
jowady
Posted: Friday, March 19, 2010 - 03:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

John

You will need to do a lot more, the Bronco Bofors is a British pattern and has a significantly different trail to the US M1 pattern one. A lot of the US ones used in the pacific were to the same pattern as the Bronco one as they were supplied from Australian Manufacture.
The Italeri One is the US pattern Trail and Gun. A mix between the two may be the best way to go until the US pattern gun is released by either Bronco or AFV club - my guess is a Bronco tooled AFV release.
Al

Thanks for this info. Unfortunately, I can wait. My dad passed away last July (at least I did an M4HST for his later battalion that I could show him before he went) and most of the men of the 557th are gone now. The last reunion that we went to was in 2000, there were four vets at our table (including my Dad), by the next reunion he was the only one still alive. So now I'll just make this for me and my memories.

John
retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Friday, March 19, 2010 - 03:48 AM UTC
I can appreciate the heart behind your build for your father. I have been of a mind to build a dio of the 50 th Field Hospital US Army in memory of my dads war experience. He left lots of pictures and there is also a history on the internet . As for the bofors I will hope to see the US version .......Al
jowady
Posted: Friday, March 19, 2010 - 03:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I can appreciate the heart behind your build for your father. I have been of a mind to build a dio of the 50 th Field Hospital US Army in memory of my dads war experience. He left lots of pictures and there is also a history on the internet . As for the bofors I will hope to see the US version .......Al

My advice? Do it, it can bring a connection that you cannot describe. you have to experience. What these men and women did is simply beyond description. I don't want to make it sound like I think that my dad won the war single handed, he didn't. He was just a junior officer, in a small unit, in a very big Army.

John
 _GOTOTOP