_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Water?
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Armorama: 2,283 posts
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2003 - 11:43 PM UTC
I am about to make a dio with water. The water will be a deep one but it cannot be seen. What I mean is, it is a flat one. Like the ones in the ocean, they're all blue in color. The technique I will use is to spray silver then spray clear blue. Any other suggestions?
laurie
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 217 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 10:27 PM UTC
Hi,
I don't understand what you mean???
Please explain more

Laurie
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 10:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,
I don't understand what you mean???
Please explain more

Laurie

Ok, (how will I explain this?) Check the photo at www.shonen-red.150m.com/unbuilt_models.htm Check the water pic there. You'll see what I mean. The side view is only a thin piece of wood while the top view shows the deepness of water like a mirage (blue center)
laurie
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 11:09 PM UTC
hi, now I get it. You mean that you want it to look like it's deep but in fact it is just a thin piece of wood. Ok, you paint the wood the color of the water you want, then you put a thin piece layer of transparent silicone kit on it, If you want a fig in it just cut the body of and put the head in the kit, after a day it is transparent and it looks like real water.

Good luck Laurie
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 01:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hi, now I get it. You mean that you want it to look like it's deep but in fact it is just a thin piece of wood. Ok, you paint the wood the color of the water you want, then you put a thin piece layer of transparent silicone kit on it, If you want a fig in it just cut the body of and put the head in the kit, after a day it is transparent and it looks like real water.

Good luck Laurie

Uhhhhh.... any alternative for that silicon? I don't think we have that here.
laurie
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 01:58 AM UTC
hi, to bad, uhhh I don't have any other techniques, try to send a pm to Kencelot, I'm sure he knows anothother technique

Laurie
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 03:56 PM UTC
Okay - to mimic deep water on a very flat surface, try this concept...

1) sand and prime the base - clean off dust with a tack cloth or strong air hose.
2) paint the deepest areas in a very dark blue - spray paint will do...
3) Put a sheet of CLEAR plastruct styrene in place, glueing with white glue to hold in place.
4) Airbrush streaks of chrome mixed with light grey on the sheet
5) Pour over a thin layer of Envirotex Pour-It over all of this... adding in some acrylic dye
6) Airbrush additional layered streaks of lighter blues mixes with shades of green and grey
7) Coat the final surface with an airbrushed layer of FUTURE acrylic floor wax.

To get an idea of the final result, go to the GALLERY->DIORAMAS->SLASH! and take a look at my flat water diorama called "skinny dipping"
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 11:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Okay - to mimic deep water on a very flat surface, try this concept...

1) sand and prime the base - clean off dust with a tack cloth or strong air hose.
2) paint the deepest areas in a very dark blue - spray paint will do...
3) Put a sheet of CLEAR plastruct styrene in place, glueing with white glue to hold in place.
4) Airbrush streaks of chrome mixed with light grey on the sheet
5) Pour over a thin layer of Envirotex Pour-It over all of this... adding in some acrylic dye
6) Airbrush additional layered streaks of lighter blues mixes with shades of green and grey
7) Coat the final surface with an airbrushed layer of FUTURE acrylic floor wax.

To get an idea of the final result, go to the GALLERY->DIORAMAS->SLASH! and take a look at my flat water diorama called "skinny dipping"

Wow! Thanks!
 _GOTOTOP