_GOTOBOTTOM
WarWheels Forum
This forum can be used for all topics and discussions on WarWheels!
BTR-70 with turret cupola?
awrc
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 281 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 10:15 AM UTC
Hi,

I recently picked up the Bison "Soviet Tanks In Afghanistan" decal sheet, and one of the subjects is an alleged BTR-70 "Command Version" that appears to have a standard small BTR-70 turret, fitted with an extra cupola that looks rather along the lines of the small turret on the MT-LB.

You can see the decal artwork here.

Thing is, although I've been all over the web, I can't find a photo of a vehicle with this modification. I'm guessing it's maybe a field modification. Does anybody have a link, or know the source of an image of the vehicle depicted in the decals? The markings seem to be quite detailed, which suggest that the photo source included several images.

Any help would be very welcome.

Cheers,

Al
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 08:05 PM UTC
Hello Al,
I think the best is to contact either Bison decals ([email protected]) themselves or J.Lexell who posted the pictures at picasa.

I too haven't seen any thing like this myself.
Another thing looks weird to me: when you look at the side views, it appears there is a small light along the MG barrel but the front view doesn't show it anymore!
awrc
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 10:04 AM UTC
I've contacted Johan (who is the guy behind Bison Decals) and he's going to send me the photos tomorrow if he gets a chance. Hopefully I'll be able to post a link.

Al
Gundam-Mecha
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,019 posts
Armorama: 933 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 11:20 PM UTC
Thanks for pursuing this Al. I have a BTR-70 on the shelf that I plan to build in the future and I also have that Bison decal sheet. I too was interested in that particular variant so any photos you find or any further info would be great!
awrc
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010 - 04:13 AM UTC
I managed to get copies of the images that Johan at Bison based the decals on from him. The original source is unknown - he found them on the Internet. I've also let Jacques Duquette from the Russo-Soviet AFV forum have a wee keek at them, and he's provided an annotation of one image with a rough interpretation of the layout of the cupola/sub-turret on the main turret - the original image is pretty hard on the eyes, and it's difficult to figure out just what's where from it.

I've given all of the images to Pat K, as well as Jacques notes on his annotated image, and they should appear on the WarWheels web site at some time in the near future.

Olivier will be glad to hear that one of the images provides a very clear view of the extra searchlight he spotted in the decal instructions side view.

Al
 _GOTOTOP