_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Barrel Droop - Too many rounds?
BomberGunner
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 90 posts
Armorama: 67 posts
Posted: Friday, March 19, 2010 - 05:58 PM UTC
Hi All,
Being only three kits back into the hobby after decades off, I was wondering what others do to solve the problem of barrel droop. (I even had this problem in my teens)

Most kits come with the ability to articulate the barrel, but I find after a few side and up and down movements (to get the paint in those crannies), my barrel becomes rather limp. I've tried bracing across the supports inside with masking tape, but this only lasted temporarily and will not be appropriate if I want to display the interior.

I'd be grateful for any tips or tricks (other than a blue pill or a vacuum pump) to increase my weapons' staying power.

Regards, Lucien
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 894 posts
Armorama: 643 posts
Posted: Friday, March 19, 2010 - 08:54 PM UTC
you could try to balance out the weight, glue something heavy on the backside of the gun (the breech block or something like that) If your kit comes without these parts, glue something like a short piece of rod to the backside of the gun to create an lever. You basically want to create a seesaw which is balanced enough so the limited friction in the pivot point keeps the barrel stable.

cheers,

Matthijs
Dutchy3RTR
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 337 posts
Posted: Friday, March 19, 2010 - 10:25 PM UTC
It's what comes with age I'm afraid...

On the other hand, I've found a strip or two of evergreen styrene glued across the back of the mounting and secured to the turret interior holds it in the position I want. Same result as your masking tape but more permanent.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 03:22 AM UTC
Bearing grease.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 04:12 AM UTC
...and here I thought I'd strayed into a Carry On film forum!

Seriously, I add some Evergreen plastic strips to each side of the gun at the pivots until it is very tight against the mountings. Add the same amount each side so it stays centred...

Tom
muchachos
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 439 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 04:32 AM UTC
I just glue it in place. However, before I started doing this, I tried stuffing the inside of the breech with plasticine. It didn't work.
Floyd_Walker
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 52 posts
Armorama: 35 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 02:08 AM UTC
If you can somehow access the pivot points, you can use thick CA...
Just put a very small drop connecting the pin and bearing surface, then keep working the gun through its range of motion until the CA is dry. This should retighten the movement without freezing the gun in place.
BomberGunner
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 90 posts
Armorama: 67 posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 - 12:53 PM UTC
Thank you all for the suggestions. I'll try a few of them and post my results.

Pardon the multiple double entendres in the original query. I posted it after doing a night shift and my wife reckons I turn into Benny Hill when I'm sleep deprived.

Lucien
 _GOTOTOP