_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
How Do You Paint Styrofoam?
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
Armorama: 727 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 07:31 PM UTC
I scored some styrofoam from a dumpster at school. The design on it looks like stones, so I figured that I could use it for cobblestone roads,and other stuff. How do you paint it though? Or should I forget it and go with my friends idea and mix it with gas to create a cheap napalm. I guess it works to. Thats what I hear though, I am a goodboy.

Thanks!

~Chip :-)
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 08:51 PM UTC
In short ... cheap acrylics! Black preferably!
Styrofoam is great as its easy to scribe ... with a pen or pencil! But thinners will burn/melt the foam so there needs to be a good layer of acrlics added first. No point using expensive modelling paints ... any cheap hobby acrylic will do. Then you can paint or spray over this when dry with whatever mediums you want. Some even paint on a mixture of white glue and water to strengthen it first. Make sure it is well covered as its very porous. It may need a second coat!
Also for making buildings .... normal glues will melt it. The best ways to glue it are white glue and fixed in place or my favourite ... medium temp. hot glue gun.... works quicker!
laurie
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 217 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 10:15 PM UTC
hi, I paint Styrofoam first with a paint that is based on water, then I spray it with flat black. After you do that you can highlite or drybrush it.

Laurie
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 01:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Or should I forget it and go with my friends idea and mix it with gas to create a cheap napalm.

Just don't stand too close to it when you light it. Oh, and PlasticBattle said it all. Use cheap acrylics.
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 595 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 02:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

In short ... cheap acrylics! Black preferably!
Styrofoam is great as its easy to scribe ... with a pen or pencil! But thinners will burn/melt the foam so there needs to be a good layer of acrlics added first. No point using expensive modelling paints ... any cheap hobby acrylic will do. Then you can paint or spray over this when dry with whatever mediums you want. Some even paint on a mixture of white glue and water to strengthen it first. Make sure it is well covered as its very porous. It may need a second coat!
Also for making buildings .... normal glues will melt it. The best ways to glue it are white glue and fixed in place or my favourite ... medium temp. hot glue gun.... works quicker!

Hi Plasticbattle, those are some very useful tip's. They will certainly come in handy on my diorama base for AMPS East in September.

- ralph
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 03:37 PM UTC
I use styofoam frequently, and will add only one or two comments to what has been added already.

First, enamel spray points will eat right through it. I also find that acrylics work fine, but NORMALLY, I don't like the finish look unless I smooth over a thin layer of watered-down spackle (I buy mine in small tubs at Home Depot). By doing this, the colors will be more uniform, and it also adds a little bit of texture to the otherwise "too perfect" flat surface of most sheets of styrofoam.

If you like the texture (and price) however let me suggest you try some of the new insulation sheets of pink or blue foam sold in 4'x8' sections at your local hardware store... very inexpensive, a much MUCH finer texture, and cuts either smooth or ragged, base on how you use your xacto knife.
 _GOTOTOP