Hosted by Darren Baker
M1A2 Abrams question
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Armorama: 1,370 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 10:37 AM UTC
Does or has the M1A2 or M1A2 SEP Abrams had the TUSK (not the newer TUSK) added on along with the mine plow. I've been gathering up sets to build an Abrams, I'd like to do the A2 / SEP with TUSK and plow, I have not able to find such pics. Thanks!!!

Happy Modeling,
Joe
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 11:15 AM UTC
I found two models that were built using the plow on the SEP / A2 so I assume that's right...so my next question is...can the TUSK be added on to the Abrams with the plow. Thanks!!

Happy Modeling,
Joe
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 11:33 AM UTC
They could theoretically, but remember, the plow is a minefield breaching device used for clearing suspected enemy minefields. These normally occur in areas where the enemy attempts to limit your maneuver area and channel you into a kill zone. Minefields give you protection in open areas.

The TUSK, on the other hand, is designed to protect the tank from attack coming from various angles that are blind spots to the crewmen inside. These occur in urban areas, hence the name Tank Urban Survivability Kit.
The3rdPlacer
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 430 posts
Armorama: 407 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 12:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I found two models that were built using the plow on the SEP / A2 so I assume that's right...so my next question is...can the TUSK be added on to the Abrams with the plow. Thanks!!

Happy Modeling,
Joe

Hi Joe, I've seen pics of a "a1" with the plow attached and with the TUSK 1 kit applied. The a2 SEP as far as I know also has a different APU than a non SEP "a2" Abrams. I built this model for a upcoming book on US ARMY AFV's in OIF.

Mine is a non-SEP TUSK 1 "a2" thus the box like APU, I believe the SEP Abrams had a "trapazoid" shaped smaller APU. I wrestled with building it with the box style APU until I finally found a shot that confirmed that some "a2's" were equiped with this style of unit. I'm sure others can pile on and help out with this info as well.

I say build it, it would look cool!

Ryan
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 01:24 PM UTC
The 'trapezoid APU' on SEP's you refer to is actually an environmental unit aka air conditioner I believe. Might be an important difference if you mention it in the book.

Jim
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 01:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The 'trapezoid APU' on SEP's you refer to is actually an environmental unit aka air conditioner I believe. Might be an important difference if you mention it in the book.

Jim

Yup, its actually called a VCSU, Vapor Compression Systems Unit, like the A/C compressor that is outside your house.
The3rdPlacer
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 430 posts
Armorama: 407 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 02:07 PM UTC
Thanks guys, My mistake...

Ryan
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 02:36 PM UTC
Joe,
Each Tank Company has three plows as part of its equipment. An M1A2SEP with TUSK 1/ 2 could feasibly mount a plow. but you will probably not see one in a picture for the reasons that Rob mentioned as well as most tanks are/were used for mounted patrols or fixed site security. Having a plow mounted adds 3-4 tons to the front of the vehicle, increasing track and suspension wear.

Saying that doesn't limit you from doing a "WOTIF" to put it in Canadianese. There are pics of M1A1s with TUSK sporting a plow during clearing operations so take it and run. After seeing some of your other work, this should be a walk in the park for you. Why not throw some slat on it also...

Good Luck

John
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 03:33 PM UTC
Thanks Guys!
John thanks for the info, and if I'm reading this right I can add the TUSK and plow to the A2 Abrams?. I really don't like what-if's I just want to keep it real. The slat, your talking about the rear engine vents, yes I plan on doing that slat section.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 03:46 PM UTC
John's response ties in neatly with an Article in Defence Weekly just last February:

However, there are clearly limits to the amount of armour that can be fitted to a vehicle without affecting its mobility and tactical deployment as well as having an adverse effect on the suspension and driveline.

The BUSK weighs three tons. God only knows what the TUSK weighs. That along with a plow, while it may handle it, certainly is beyond what it was designed for. Still, it'd be different and I'd love to see it.
Am digging thorugh my new TUSK II set at the moment..
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 10:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Saying that doesn't limit you from doing a "WOTIF" to put it in Canadianese.

John, what're you talkin' aboot? Lar'd tunderin' jaysus! Don't forget the abbreviation of WOTIF is WIF, Eh! Time to run, have to go get a Tim Horton's coffee and Roll up the Rim! Have fun at AMPS.

Jim♦
TonyDz
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 420 posts
Armorama: 419 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 11:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

if I'm reading this right I can add the TUSK and plow to the A2 Abrams?. I really don't like what-if's

No, what he's saying is you wouldn't see the plow on a M1A2 with TUSK. By the time M1A2s had TUSK added, they weren't doing breaching operations, so no plow. Your doing a what-if if your adding the slat to the rear, so I guess you might as well add the plow.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 01:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Guys!
John thanks for the info, and if I'm reading this right I can add the TUSK and plow to the A2 Abrams?. I really don't like what-if's I just want to keep it real. The slat, your talking about the rear engine vents, yes I plan on doing that slat section.

Happy Modeling,
Joe

Actually, if you read what Robert says, the weight of the TUSK combined with the mine plow would greatly hamper the manuever ability of the tank and the suspension probably would not be able to handle the weight.

What we are saying is that it is theoretically possible to mount both items; the mounting of one system will not hamper the ability to mount the other. But the tank would probably not be able to handle the extra weight.
Citizinsane
KitMaker: 463 posts
Armorama: 450 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 01:41 AM UTC
Hey Joe,
how about just using the TUSK mounting hardware on the side skirts and turret sides together with the turret roof armor plates in combination with the plow?
concerning the overall weight I guess that it'll work out just fine...

Cheers Max
Citizinsane
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 01:57 AM UTC
P.S.
as an alternative you could use the mine roller instead. I've seen some nice pics of A1 versions equipped with both, the TUSK and the roller.

Cheers
sarge18
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 272 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 12:00 PM UTC
Even if you mounted a roller, you'd still run into a weight problem. Highly unlikely you'd see a TUSK with either a plow or a roller. With the roller, even though the individual arms are supported somewhat by their "wheels", you still have a large amount of weight buckled to the front of the tank. This causes difficulties in maneuvering the tank - wider turns, no pivots, things like that. And in an urban environment, that lack of maneuverability could be suicidal.

Jed
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 03:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Your doing a what-if if your adding the slat to the rear

The slat I'm talking about is the "rear protecting unit slat armor" on the TUSK.

Well it looks like the SEP with TUSK and the second with plow. Thanks guys.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
sopmod6
Visit this Community
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
KitMaker: 761 posts
Armorama: 455 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 03:18 PM UTC
Let me know if you need that slat set for the rear. I've got several sets.
TonyDz
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 03:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Your doing a what-if if your adding the slat to the rear

The slat I'm talking about is the "rear protecting unit slat armor" on the TUSK.

Well it looks like the SEP with TUSK and the second with plow. Thanks guys.

Happy Modeling,
Joe

Very few of the slat sets were fielded or used. They made maintenance a problem and were dropped from use before the TUSK mods were fielded.
Citizinsane
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 10:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Highly unlikely you'd see a TUSK with either a plow or a roller.

Don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but it's quite possible. (whether practical or not remains to be seen)
Here's the pic I was talking about:

cheers
TonyDz
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010 - 07:38 AM UTC
That's a M1A1, not a M1A2. Also it's a roller, not a plow. The roller supports itself somewhat, the plow is just dead weight.
chnoone
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Armorama: 1,033 posts
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010 - 11:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That's a M1A1, not a M1A2. Also it's a roller, not a plow. The roller supports itself somewhat, the plow is just dead weight.

But there are some pics of M1A2 SEPs with the mineroller-"base-plate" and on the front hull but no rollers connected, and fielding TUSK 1 as well.
Thats one of my projects right now, got the idea from Prime Portal if I am correct, need it as a "coverup" for the warped plastic I had to cut out and replace on my Dragon kit hull.
But keep in mind that even without the extra TUSK-weight, handling the mine-plow attached to the tank is always a pain, generally I would not worry about not combining both as you originally stated, if needed on a mission they would use it. While operating the mineplow the tanks speed is restricted anyway so extra protection would be of advantage for the crew crawling down range.

Cheers
Christopher
 _GOTOTOP