_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Horse
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 04:10 AM UTC
Doing a German Kavalier Set from DML now, a little fun projects on the side, as well as some practice on figures. The horse is finished construction

WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Armorama: 1,905 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 04:43 AM UTC
Dave:

Something a little different from you,---- and the first time I can recall seeing a non metal type item on the Rivet Review Board! :-) :-) Kind of reminds me of the old Mister Ed tv show. #:-) #:-) Just kidding Dave.

It will be interesting to see how your attention to detail, and painting skills, are tested with this subject.

Looking forward to seeing the entire project completed.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 04:53 AM UTC
Aren't horses a neat distraction? I have three on the bench right now, an Indian Pinto, a Union Cavalry Chestnut and a Frazetta based fantasy draft ( Death Dealer ).

Couple points you may be about to address. There appears to be a seam on the nose, but that could be the lighting showing your fillier material. The reins should begin their droop right from the bit. The front harness...either it needs more clean up to go away or needs strapping material to make it more distinct.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 06:33 AM UTC
I generally like DML's horses, but they do have one noticable problem: the belly band is molded going under the blanket. It should be over the blanket, but under the saddle.

It's not hard to fix with a bit of whittling before the saddle is glued on, but it might be tricky to do after.
Dmd
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 430 posts
Armorama: 210 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 06:39 AM UTC
davidus tongus

that's a nice horse you've got there, but i wondered, is the horse in the box not originally a female one ??
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 10:13 AM UTC
Dave, I have never seen a horse model done from start to finish so now I will expect pics of every stage. What I see so far is ,to my eye, good and I have taken note of the comments about the reins etc. Who knows one day I may do a self portrate model of me sitting on a horse in droving gear or as a WW1 Australian light horse man #:-) :-)
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 11:06 AM UTC
Did you ever find the three-part Schiffer series on German Horses of WWII?... they had special ones you know.
Good to see you're trying figures, and horses. I have yet to build my first horse.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 11:33 AM UTC
I've an horse on my bench as well. Is a 120mm resin one and it seems they cast the resin with a seltz machine. It has got billion of bubbles, you just look at it and more bubbles are coming out. It's the horse from my Barbarossa entry but if it continues like that I'll throw it out of the window. I hope your horse will give you more satisfaction than mine...
Ciao
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 11:53 AM UTC
Dave your horse is looking good. The reins are a nice touch but the droop at the bit is needed, and the strap for the saddle needs to be fixed. The seem at the neck can be hidden by adding a harness. Simply attach it to the saddle under the leg flaps, and run a third strap between the front legs to the girth. Also a bit of lead foil would work fine between the stirup and saddle as DML seems to forget to complete their straps on all their figs and horses!!! It looks great so far kepp it up STUG
Selrach
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 466 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 01:12 PM UTC
Wonderful work, SS... But I think you misplaced the cigar #:-)
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 01:29 PM UTC
Interesting addition to Armorama.
Have you named the horse?
Could you do a fantasy of it,with a unicorn horn,and Adolph holding it by the reins?
SOW1
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 04:39 PM UTC
Looking good... Can't wait to see the finished product
(++)
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Armorama: 3,679 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 08:58 PM UTC
Nice horse Dave. Second what AJLaFleche says about the 'seam' on the nose. INterested to see how this one turns out.....keep us up to date eh?

Vinnie
octupus
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 411 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 02:06 AM UTC
Buddy,

Nice build for the horse, is it 1/35? What color are you gonna spray on?

GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 02:34 AM UTC
No criticism Dave about the Horse - just a question...

How do you think the mane and tail will come out in the end, painting-wise? Does it look good in the bare plastic now, or does it require some additional scribing?

Gunnie
turrettoad13
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 490 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 05:16 AM UTC
looks good dave , i have this kit also . good idea on the reins ,now i have to go back and re-do mine
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 02:16 PM UTC
Hi all!
I got a set of Airfix Polish Lancer, and I tought your model very inspirational, I´ll have to make mine now!
Good luck! And keep us update!
Cheers
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 02:24 PM UTC
Thank you guys for your kind word, and more so, the suggestions. I took your advice and redo the reins. I will post some pics later. This first figure attempt for me is fun, so fun, I had put the KV II and T50 on hold. geez.

Gunnie, I still need to think of a way to do the mane and tail, maybe I will airbrush the hair color then give it a couple washes. Let's see how it turned out.

Thank you guys.

AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 04:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I still need to think of a way to do the mane and tail, maybe I will airbrush the hair color then give it a couple washes. Let's see how it turned out.

I've had success doing the mane and tail as I would hair on a human figure. Paint (AB works for these large areas) the base color. Use a complimentary wash then drybrush lightened shades of the base color. Check your references for the appropriate color for the mane and tail. These vary among breeds and even within breed types. One of my figure mentors suggested thet hair should be treated much the same way as fabric.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 04:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I still need to think of a way to do the mane and tail, maybe I will airbrush the hair color then give it a couple washes. Let's see how it turned out.

I've had success doing the mane and tail as I would hair on a human figure. Paint (AB works for these large areas) the base color. Use a complimentary wash then drybrush lightened shades of the base color. Check your references for the appropriate color for the mane and tail. These vary among breeds and even within breed types. One of my figure mentors suggested thet hair should be treated much the same way as fabric.

Cool Al, thanks a lot for the help! I will definitely try that. As you might know, I never do figures seriously. So I like to use this chance to try out new technics. Will look forward to your comment and advice during the making of the Kavalier. Thanks a lot buddy.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2003 - 12:22 AM UTC
Here's a nice link on painting horses: http://andrea-miniatures.com/eng/workshop/articles/works01a.htm
 _GOTOTOP