Hosted by Darren Baker
Land Rover - Some Questions
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 01:22 AM UTC
Not being terribly 'current' on the LR Wolf series, and bearing in mind that HB are doing the WMIK, what OTHER conversion/update sets would be desirable?

Obviously, there will be a need for appropriate figures, so, where would one start if, oh, for the sake of argument , one was advising a manufacturer?
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 01:29 AM UTC
Well, I personally think a good place to start would be an SAS set of crew figures. Obviously it depends which variant they are intended to go with, but two seated figures and one manning the rear machine gun would be ideal. They could be either kitted out for op's back home in DPM's with comms gear etc, or there could be a possibility for depicting them in Iraq.

Why SAS? Well it seems like a pretty logical set to go for if they want to sell lots. Everyone knows about the SAS, no doubt many young lads have books on the SAS or have seen tv shows or documentaries about them. Im pretty sure a set of SAS figures would sell very well indeed.
callmehobbes
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 01:45 AM UTC
Do we know what the standard kit will include?Will it have both .50 cal(with susat & other optics) and Mk 19,?
Ultimately I'd like a vehicle used by the RM Brigade Patrol Troop, I don't know what that would entail but plenty of stowage would be nice.
I am guessing but conversions to various nationalities would be very welcome esp. the US Ranger version and the Aussie versions amongst others.
DA5705
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 27 posts
Armorama: 24 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 03:36 AM UTC
A bog standard Wolf (90 and 110, soft and hard top) would be nice too. Together with accessories for making it an FFR (Fitted For Radio) if possible?

Other accessories could include the GS Trailer, maybe a 9x9 tent, GS table, camp chairs etc (that kind of thing might already be available, I'm only just getting back into modelling?)

Figures for the sets could include the obvious crewmen for the WMIK, a two man det crew for the FFR and maybe an Iraq soft top patrol crew (soft top removed, two men in the front as usual, two men stood on the load bed as 'top cover').
Sudzonic
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,096 posts
Armorama: 1,983 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 03:46 AM UTC
I think??? the WMIK is fitted with a Heckler and Koch grenade launcher so that would be nice as well as the water/cold weather kit with the snorkel and radiator cover. and of course stowage and crew.
spike_7451
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 06:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think??? the WMIK is fitted with a Heckler and Koch grenade launcher so that would be nice as well as the water/cold weather kit with the snorkel and radiator cover. and of course stowage and crew.

WMIK can be fitted with any combo of .5,Gimpy or 40mm launcher.Not much point of them all being equiped with the same mix,especially as some crew may be qual'd on,say .5 but not the grenade launcher.

As for the previous point of the vehicles carrying tables,chairs ect. that's excess weight that is'nt needed.You'd find US issue camp beds,bergens,extra water & ammo & rations. depending on how long they are going out for.
IE,not much point taking full bergen & loads of rations when going out on a 12 hour patrol.
Remember,the terrain they are driving over in Afghan is mostly compacted sand so they'd like to deep the weight to a minumum.

RAF Regiment WMIK.

Normally on the elastic loops on the Osprey you'd find a speedloader for the L85A2,bayonet,infra red cylumm sticks,field dressing & a pen,
DA5705
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 27 posts
Armorama: 24 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 07:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As for the previous point of the vehicles carrying tables,chairs ect. that's excess weight that is'nt needed.

I was talking about an FFR version, not the WMIK
spike_7451
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 07:26 AM UTC
Still would'nt be carried,that's what the tailboard's used for....
With jerrycans as seats!
 _GOTOTOP