_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
REVIEW
Warpaint - British Vehicle Colours
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 08:57 AM UTC
Alan McNeilly takes a look at Warpaint - Colours and Markings of British Army Vehicles 1903 – 2003 Volume 1, written by Dick Taylor, the first in a four volume set.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 11:04 AM UTC
Ssd you say Alan it'sd a complex and confusing area and Dick Taylor does much in this book to dispel the confusion. Thanks for the review.
Dutchy3RTR
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 337 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 11:33 AM UTC
Can I just add I've bought this and Vol 2 and although I may be slightly biased, I find them both indispensible reference works. (Vol 2 has paint and cam '39 to '45 together with vehicle markings WW1 to 2003.)
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 11:25 PM UTC
Hi James,

Thanks for getting that up, boy that was quick .

Hi Pat,

It's one of the reasons I like British Vehicles so much, they reflect the national character rather well and this shows through in the Painting Schemes and Registaration Schemes.

Hi Ken,

I'm bias towards all things British and make no apologies for it. I have Vol 2 also but I would go further through as I believe Dick has produced and is producing what I believe to be a highly important and valuable resource for military modellers, historians and vehicle restorers.

I'd agree, Vol 1 and Vol 2 are both essential reading, for WW I and WW II. Although I have not developed a leaning towards the more modern vehciles yet, when I do these will also be of so much help.

Thanks for the comments folks, this is the first comprehensive attempt to pull all the data, theory and oddities together that I have seen.

Both Volumes were a good investment.

Al
Dutchy3RTR
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 05:21 AM UTC
Although I too model British kit (exclusively), my bias is a little more personal than that.
I served with Dick for quite a few years - in the same troop for a couple of years too.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 07:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Although I too model British kit (exclusively), my bias is a little more personal than that.
I served with Dick for quite a few years - in the same troop for a couple of years too.

Hi Ken,

Sounds to me like a book in the making

Al
Dutchy3RTR
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 11:53 PM UTC
A mate of ours has already written it.

http://www.malcyart.co.uk/shop/page/4
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 04:50 AM UTC

Looks like an interesting read,

Cheers

Al
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,019 posts
Armorama: 657 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 08:44 AM UTC
MMP has a US distributor here: http://www.casematepublishers.com/ It's a pretty cool site with lots of military books from all eras, arenas, and subjects.

I found the most direct way to find the book was to click on the Publishers List on the left panel and then click the MMP button from the page that opens.

They didn't list Volume I but had Volume 2 (1939 - 1945) in stock. That was my primary area of interest since I currently have several British vehicle and equipment builds on hold because I'm stuck on the painting scheme and colors. Having found conflicting and contradictory information and questionable colors of paint sold as being the correct shades I look forward to clarifying the issue.

I am anxiously awaiting its arrival!
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 09:17 AM UTC
Hi Jim,

Volume 2 is a meatier edition 176 pages, I'm reading my way through it slowly.

Enjoy.

Al
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 01:20 PM UTC
Alan, thank you! I have been trying to sort out British camo patterns and colors for years. I wound up using law enforcement canvassing methods to make deductions from many conflicting sources. After reading your review I purchased both volumes and it is a joy to read and a treasure to own. I'm now looking forward to doing my first pink Sherman II; my wife has thought for years I was kidding her about it!

If you build any British armor, anytime in your modeling career, you HAVE to buy these books!
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,019 posts
Armorama: 657 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 02:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jim,

Volume 2 is a meatier edition 176 pages, I'm reading my way through it slowly.

Enjoy.

Al

It sounds like I made a good buy! I do have some WWI armor kits so I will try and track down Volume 1 as well. I have some modern armor kits I bought just to show the progression of armor post WWII to to the current day with the Leopard, Leclerc, and Abrams, but I think most of the later stuff will get the NATO 3 color treatment.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 08:05 AM UTC
Hi Mattthew,

Glad you enjoyed them, they are really useful references, well written and researched, a valuable addition to ay Library. The 4 volumes when complete will be very comprehensive.

Hi Jim,

Enjoy

Al
 _GOTOTOP