_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Help! - ID Jamming Device used in N.Ireland?
RKinsella
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 603 posts
Armorama: 575 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 10:48 AM UTC
Hi Guys

I'm currently working on a new project to be posted as a build blog soon but I'm having some desperate trouble Identifing a peice of equipment and I really need some help!

The peice of equipment is an ECM or Frequency Jammer used by the British Army against radio signal activiated IED's in Northern Ireland during the latter part of the 1980's and early 1990's.

The photos below are of the jammer's roof mounted ariels (just behind of the spare wheel in the first photo)
And in the second picture is the craddle for the Jamming device itself (highlighted in red).

The vehicle here is a Landrover Piglet;

..now I know there were personel ECM devices carried by one individual for each "brick" on Foot Patrols too like White Sifter and Brown Sifter etc, along with the Antler System but I have little knowledge of what these look like and I wonder were these the same devices mounted inside the vehciles too??

I really need some drawings, photos, links or even some general knowledge from anyone who knows anything about these, any help is much appreciated please!!
spike_7451
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 11:24 PM UTC
I doubt you'll find anything as these are classified bit's of kit still in use in Afghanistan,Northern Ireland ect,any information about them will be,at least,classified 'Restricted' due to the information being of use to terrorists.
That also extends to what was used where & when.

They have been improved on since then but are basically the same as I've used them on EOD duties when I was in the RAF as an Armourer (1984-1996)

Not only that,but the provider of said information,risks prosecution under the OSA.

Sorry.
RKinsella
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 - 05:21 AM UTC
Hi Mervyn

I understand your comments completely & I had a feeling this might come up..

I'm all too aware of OPSEC and I wouldn't ask anyone to breach any laws or policies in regard to the modern ECM's operational requirements, limitations or the training required to operate it.
Infact I'm aware of the more modern peice of equipment used in Afghanistan and it is very much different in its appearance considering anyone that has used it might agree that it looks similiar to a not so uncommon electrical tool..

I imagine the equipment has come along way since the late 1980's and I'm not looking for the modern versions. The British Army seems quite happy to sell they're ex-service vehicles to private buyers with the ECM Antenna's, mounts and wiring still attached and functional so I'm sure there are some "safe" information on the older ECM equipment out there that can be posted..

Anyway I should really clarify that I'm only looking for the basics here, ie the appearance of the "box" itself so I can try model it. There are numerous accounts and photos of soldiers wearing these units in the public arena and there has been information published in books and magazines going as far as hinting on how the system operated. For example one account I read rencently in Operation Banner (I think) was when the device sounded (when it detected something near-by) the foot patrol would take cover, all except the ECM operator who had to stay in place and sometimes couldnt even take cover (brave lad)

All story telling aside, Im just looking to try find out what the late 80's "box" looked like underneath the webbing and I also wondered was this the same ECM used in the vehicles too.

trackpads
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 330 posts
Armorama: 284 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 - 05:53 AM UTC
I carried a bit about the size of a old tape recorder in a harness, which sat between my shoulder blades,nothing spec to it just a little box with a 2/3 foot arial, a on off switch and a one ear head set.
the corners on the bottom of the battery rubbed though my smock all the time i looked like a right tramp,but hell i loved those old smocks.
Hope that helps with out saying to much.They have changed quit a bit and i dont even know if it is still used today.
RKinsella
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 - 06:15 AM UTC
Great start Andy, thanks a million!! ..the devil is in the detail and from what you have said they're really wasnt much with the device you had except the on/off button etc. so yes this is a great help ..cheers mate
spike_7451
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 - 07:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Mervyn

I understand your comments completely & I had a feeling this might come up..

I'm all too aware of OPSEC and I wouldn't ask anyone to breach any laws or policies in regard to the modern ECM's operational requirements, limitations or the training required to operate it.
Infact I'm aware of the more modern peice of equipment used in Afghanistan and it is very much different in its appearance considering anyone that has used it might agree that it looks similiar to a not so uncommon electrical tool..

I imagine the equipment has come along way since the late 1980's and I'm not looking for the modern versions. The British Army seems quite happy to sell they're ex-service vehicles to private buyers with the ECM Antenna's, mounts and wiring still attached and functional so I'm sure there are some "safe" information on the older ECM equipment out there that can be posted..

Anyway I should really clarify that I'm only looking for the basics here, ie the appearance of the "box" itself so I can try model it. There are numerous accounts and photos of soldiers wearing these units in the public arena and there has been information published in books and magazines going as far as hinting on how the system operated. For example one account I read rencently in Operation Banner (I think) was when the device sounded (when it detected something near-by) the foot patrol would take cover, all except the ECM operator who had to stay in place and sometimes couldnt even take cover (brave lad)

All story telling aside, Im just looking to try find out what the late 80's "box" looked like underneath the webbing and I also wondered was this the same ECM used in the vehicles too.

I'll ask a friend of mine who's currentl mine clearing down the Falklands &,ih he has anything I'll pm you.

Merv
RKinsella
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 - 07:18 AM UTC
Any help would be a great help Merv, thanks again mate
 _GOTOTOP