_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
(Theoretically) - a New Universal Carrier
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 10:04 AM UTC
Hi Roger,

Tamiya didn't update their Matilda they designed a new one.

Why, build a new vehicle of one that exists on the market already, ie: a Tamiya Mk II carrier?

If they choose to build a new vehicle and they chooses a Mk I carrier, the vehicle was used throughout the war, (twice as many Mk Is were produced as Mk IIs), all subseuqent versions are easily do-able, including the Mk II.

I don't think many people would be happy with a re-run of the Tamiya sage, here's a new set fo decals and figures, we'll call this one a recce vehicle and sell you the same old tat at twice the price, which is exactely what Tamiya have been doing for years.

Sorry but I think you missed the point here, modellers don't want what you suggest, at least I don't.

Al

jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 11:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't think many people would be happy with a re-run of the Tamiya sage, here's a new set fo decals and figures, we'll call this one a recce vehicle and sell you the same old tat at twice the price, which is exactely what Tamiya have been doing for years.

Ditto. Oh and the Matilda looks seriously like an opportunity lost as well.
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 01:30 PM UTC
Logically as oppossed to "Theoretically" ; I'd bow to the fact that the Mk I would be the obvious start point then offer a range based on that of COMMON variants with little updating of the original. I'd love to see a Lloyd Carrier or an Oxford etc but I believe these would have limited broad commercial appeal compared to the ubiqitous Bren/Universal carrier. Having said that a Lloyd with a 6 pdr and crew would be a walk up start for my wallet.
Regardless I'd be happy with a NEW carrier kit and I'd hope that if they do the running gear and tracks properly that they would be released as a seperate set.
This is a great building block subject for a manufacturer offering a large variety of parts reuse to offer many diuffering vehicles such as the Lt Tank Mk VI etc. It's also a great sedgeway to a nice new 6 pdr which would have a great appeal in its various guises. Of course that would be better with a dedicated crew set such as those dedicated crew sets from a certain Eastern European Manufacturer.
"Theoretically" a great an popular subject
Al
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 09:13 PM UTC
Although there's nothing definite in any of this, going back to Al's comments, i'd like to expand further on them.

If, theoretically, Tamiya decided to re-re-re-re-release their Universal carrier, this, in my opinion would deal a body blow to any possibilitly of getting a NEW Carrier. Unfortunately, it works a bit like this:

1) Tamiya announces a re-pop and immediately, it gets posted across all the Forums.

2) A few voices get raised against it pointing out what it is (or, more likely how OLD it is..) Generally they get ignored.

3) Bearing in mind that Tamiya more or less sells itself and the other manufacturers know this, any plans THEY had for a new tooling get put on hold.

I've repeatedly defended the NEW toolings from Tamiya (Matilda with reservations) but items such as the Tilly, the Japanese bulldozer etc. are, IMO, excellent releases. However, the Axis modelrs would get pretty hacked-off if Tamiya re-released one of their original Tigers

So, why should Allied modelers be satisfied with anything less than NEW toolings? it might be an entertaining process re-working their M5, personally i'd go for AFV Club and do a few minor tweaks rather than a re-build. Academy's Grant may have problems, but it's easier to fix than Tamiya's. Same goes with their Universal Carrier. It's possible to build an accurate model with the superb range of updates from Resicast - not everyone is going to want to invest that kind of money though.

Rant over...
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 10:19 PM UTC
For me I see this as a cracking opportunity for any manufacturer. You could liken it to the opportunity taken bt AFV Club and their decision to make the Mk III Churchill, rather then a Mk IV as per the old Tamiya kit.

They invested in a completely new build of an unmade Mk which has given them the right chassis for what at least 7 gun tanks, and numerous AVRE Funnies. They produced a highly accurate model that will continue to sell and sell and they can at any time with minimal cost release a 'New Mk' to draw in more pennies. Becasue of the good research and the quality of the kit they are onto an all time winner. They get what they want (money) and we get what we as modellers want a cracking kit in a variety of Mks at a reasonable price and becasue it is in plastic almost anyone will have a go at the kit.

I have had the pleasure of building a number of the Resicast Conversions for the current old Mk II Carrier. I personally think they are absolutely cracking conversion sets, well researched and highly accurate but not everyone can afford them nor does everyone like the resin medium to work in.

Jim has a very valid point about a re-re-re-re issue of the old kit, it could kill this opportuity dead as not all manufacturers will take a chance on a new build. SKP have recently indicated that they may not produce theri excellent looking Bedford QLD becasue IBG have stepped into the market with the 'promise' of several allied trucks and becasue of their experience with the Humber Scout Car and the Tamiya release of the Austin Tilly. Personally I think that was a mistake becasue they were clearly ahead in the game and their Bedford looked great, but that will be/is their decision. Just like the Churchill and the possible new carrier whoever does a good Bedford or 15cwt chassis and cab will have great opportunity and potential for all the other vairents to follow.

Both Tamiya and Italeri have had 30 years to develop the kits being talked about hear and did nothing much to talk about to maxamise their potential.

Lets hope we see a new carrier, welll researched and engineered by a company who in time will deliver many of the possibilities that modellers would like to build at an affordable price that everyone can enjoy.

On the Loyd, apart from a personal liking for this important but ignored vehicle I would say that until one gets released in plastic can we really say it won't sell? What doesn't sell is what doesn't get produced, everything else finds it own level in the market, it is just that the investment return time may vary otherwise why would we get regular re-releases of the LDRG Chevy, Bedford 6pdr Portee, 15cwt Chevy and still find 30 year old kits like the Tammi Mk II Carrier sitting on the shelves?

Al

RedwingNev
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 911 posts
Armorama: 348 posts
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 01:35 AM UTC
I have no preferance on variant - just the "theory" that a manufacturer is looking at a new tool carrier is exciting
NickSheridan
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 01:44 PM UTC
Must say, a new tool carrier would be great - but a bit like peanuts - one would not be enough by far.

On the tracks - if link and length, how would a fulled loaded carrier sit - that characteristic squat is essential. One for the after-market?

On a Tamiya re-issue - wouldn't touch one.

cheers
Nick
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 03:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Must say, a new tool carrier would be great - but a bit like peanuts - one would not be enough by far.

On the tracks - if link and length, how would a fulled loaded carrier sit - that characteristic squat is essential. One for the after-market?

cheers
Nick

Maybe offer alternate Link and Length. We aren't talking about an excessive amount of tooling. DS lenths may be the way to go as well as rigid ones

New tool over a half hearted Tamiya remake anyday
Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 04:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

cheers
Nick

Hi Nick, agree there, one version wouldn't be enoough.

On the tracks Resicast already do a neat set of replacement ones, fairly cheaply (9 euro) and also the replacement rear boggie for the nose up effect. You can also achieve this by simply altering the rear boggie on the existing Tamiya kit, by removing the 2nd small pin and gluing the boggie unit with the desired depth of pressure.

Al
 _GOTOTOP