_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
how do i make sand
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,088 posts
Armorama: 1,257 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 - 04:49 PM UTC
hi
has anyone got any good ways of making sand
thanks andy007
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 - 05:13 PM UTC
Other than the normal sands that are available at places like Home Depot or Lowes...no.
"Play" sand is pretty good for scale. Another type is the silica sands used for sand-blasting, they come in varying grades or grits.

BTW, welcome aboard!!!
panzerman
Visit this Community
Poland
KitMaker: 37 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 - 05:41 PM UTC
Hi,
Try to find an amount of normal sand elsewhere. Some kinds of sand used especially in engineering and building works ( e. g. when there is need to make a high quality concrete) have grains which are very small in diameter.
I have also seen that kind of sand on some beaches too. It's sometimes close to white or beige in colour.

Good luck,
Peter
TJ
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 - 06:19 PM UTC
Woodland Scenics has available some very fine grained sand...at hobby shops or model railroad shops. Or you can sift your own driveway sand through a screen. Mix it with Elmer's plus water and it's damn near as hard as cement.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 10:50 AM UTC
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 10:55 AM UTC
Companies like Scorched Earth have different kinds of sand available to purchase. The cost is a little high...did I say a little?

The best and fastest method is to visit your local RR hobby store. They have an incredible source of diorama products available. I am very, very lucky here in Denver to have Caboose Hobbies here in town. They are one of the top five RR hooby stores in the country, and are an absolute wonder to walk thru!
Check your local store out!

Tread.
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 11:31 AM UTC
The best way to model sand is to use.... "SAND"....! It's pretty good looking for almost any scale!
Tiger1
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 171 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2002 - 01:25 AM UTC
I agree with KFMagee, when I am doing a diorama requiring sand, I use just that - real sand. I use pottery sand sold at any arts and crafts store (I buy mine at Michael's).
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 793 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2002 - 03:30 AM UTC
Big Jack the Maniac offers a few possibilities:

1. Rob the sand pile of the local kindergarten
2. Bash two stones together, and place into your wifes soup blender

IF the first two don't work.......
3. Most hardware and DIY type shops, offer various types of builders sand. This is pretty nifty. I generally proceed as follows:

A little Pollyfilla, wall spackling compound, wood putty etc, add water til slightly moist, add a squirt of two of earth colour such as Vallejo burnt umber acrylic. Then chuck in a fistfull of sand stir well and spread on your base as if on a sandwich. Do not eat, I repeat do not eat this. This mix is then sprinkled over with more sand that has passed through a strainer. A push in tiny stones, and pre-planned vegetaion in the appropriate locations, and there you have one ground work rearing to go. I'm sure you will get lots of good advice from the crew here. They know their stuff.

Capn' Jack at your service
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 595 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2002 - 11:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

hi
has anyone got any good ways of making sand
thanks andy007

Hi Andy. You can use Woodland Scenics "fine sand " or "ballast ".
But what I used for my Diorama below was, "kitty litter ". I crushed it
down in a plastic bag, then put it through a strainer. I liked the final results.
Also you can drybrush it like I did, or you can also leave it natural, which also
looks very good.
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/screamingeagle07/vwp?.dir=/Mail+Attachments/Ralph%27s+Gallery&.src=ph&.dnm=1-35+My+Diorama+1.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/screamingeagle07/lst%3f%26.dir=/Mail%2bAttachments/Ralph%2527s%2bGallery%26.src=ph%26.view=t

- ralph
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2002 - 09:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Companies like Scorched Earth have different kinds of sand available to purchase. The cost is a little high...did I say a little?

The best and fastest method is to visit your local RR hobby store. They have an incredible source of diorama products available. I am very, very lucky here in Denver to have Caboose Hobbies here in town. They are one of the top five RR hooby stores in the country, and are an absolute wonder to walk thru!
Check your local store out!

Tread.

That Caboose hobbies is one heck of a store been their back in the 80s. Is it bigger now?

also might try a river, the river by me is all sand what you need to do is get bucket small one boy that sand is heavy especially when wet. lay it out on newspaper to dry get one of those strainers real fine one and sift it through you will get perfect sand. also do it outside cause of the silica is not good to inhale. With all the great responces you should have her wipped.
Viking
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 112 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 06:31 PM UTC
at the embankment of the streets one will find very fine sand. but use protective gloves!
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Armorama: 256 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 04:18 AM UTC
try some of the model railroad suppy houses.they have small bags of scale stuff like dirt ,coal and sand
Spike9077
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 179 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 09:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

GO AVS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GO ROY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WIN GAME SEVEN!!!!
...just like you did before...hehe

I'm sorry did you say the Avs are gonna win? No, of course not. You meant the RED WINGS are gonna win the series AND THE CUP!
...just like they won game one today...hehe

As for the sand i would just use natural sand, which you can find almost anywhere. I mean, it is the cheapest. :-) But it kinda depends on what you are using it for. Like, I would use finer sand for around cities and such, and thicker sand for a great outdoors scene.

Mark
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2002 - 02:38 AM UTC
Hi,

What I do is to take the finest sand that I can find and then sift it thru an old nylon stocking.

HTH
Thanks,
Kevin Keefe
http://www.mortarsinminiature.com
 _GOTOTOP