_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Desert Rats - tea time
jacob33
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Friday, April 02, 2010 - 05:15 AM UTC
between dioramas, I make my father a kit around his birthday. Initially, a 1/48 Stug ausf. B. Now, 3 years in, a more relevant kit, academy's M3 Grant. I figured it would be centered around some ANZACs / desert rats under a scrub tree stopping for tea time before advancing upon the Merith Line.

Its to somewhat, pay homage to his citizenship in Australia when he was my age.

Anyway, this was a fun build, especially given that the lee/grant was such an ungainly monster; there are so many dimensions to work on.

Kits Used:
# Academy - M3 Grant
# Czech Master Kit - Desert Rats
# Alpine - British Tankers
#Custom Dioramaics - utensils and pots, etc.
# Eduard - M3 Grant Exterior Detail Set

This has to be by far the fastest build, given the deadline of two weeks. I was unable to finish the Alpine figures in time. However, one great surprise was CMK, who really nail a less-than-represented subject: ANZAC infantry.

Initially I was going to do a diorama for this one; and not
even a real dio, so i feel pretty bad for not getting that far. I was trying to locate a Banzai Tree/Buddist rock garden to convey a desert oasis. The Aussies sipping tea under the shade of a Poplar tree, etc. Alas, I was not able to find one in time for Christmas.

The Grant was built, then I painted it, then got the photo etched detail set in the mail, so i put them on, then i
gave it another base-coat in staggered shades of light browns; then i glued on salt. After which I painted it again in extremely light shades of Afrika Khakibrun and camoflauge blobs of 2:1 Hellblau/Faded Olive Drab. Then i chipped off the salt, producing scrapes and paint-chips (the first time EVER). The general oil burnt umber wash and dry-brushing followed.

Figures were done with a method I stole from calvin tan's camo technique. That is, drybrush/wash BEFORE the base-coat. Infact, you never technically add a base-coat; you actually weather the colors on. You can see in some photos of one of the alpine tankers in the first stage(in which he's black and (dry-brushed) white).

I'm increasingly painting faces with acrylics instead of oils. These guys were painted w/o any oils. Only the stock of the Bren gun was oiled (fake wood grain).

more info @ here
jacob33
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Friday, April 02, 2010 - 05:19 AM UTC
its worth mentioning that i'm visiting my parents this weekend, so i'm basically grooming this to take more photos of the build
Dutchy3RTR
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 337 posts
Posted: Friday, April 02, 2010 - 06:27 AM UTC
What a great idea. Dad gives you a kit for Xmas, you give it back come Birthday time.

Nice painting BTW.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Friday, April 02, 2010 - 10:38 PM UTC
Looking good so far, like you figs.

Al
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Friday, April 02, 2010 - 11:45 PM UTC
Nice work.
Can I ask where you got the CMK figs? I've been looking for them for a while.
 _GOTOTOP