_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
WIP T-72 fender
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2010 - 10:34 AM UTC
Just thought i'd share with you guys some pics of a T-72 fender ive been working on. The plastic kit part doesnt look good to me, to say that T-72 fenders get dented would be an understatement, most ive seen are dented and crumpled. So I made a new one by molding lead foil around the kit part. I used Verlinden lead foil, carefully cut out the plastic fender and molded the foil around the part very carefully, obviously I used a relatively large piece of foil, and cut bits away as I went. Getting some of the folds right is very difficult, and I did end up with a crumpled fold on one corner, however overall I think it looks pretty good and an improvement over the kit part.
(pics are kinda crappy, as I just snapped them real quick!)

Im now contemplating whether to make all the rubber side skirts out of foil as well as their mounts? These will end up on a T-72B in Chechnya...once I find the money for the miniarm conversion.
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,329 posts
Armorama: 2,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 - 10:35 AM UTC
Hi Rob nice work on the Fenders I keep meaning to try this. Where did you get the Verlinden lead foil from?

Jaymes.

wanagun
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 471 posts
Armorama: 383 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 02:16 PM UTC
Another thought may be very very thin metal sheets sold in scrap booking stores and at HobbyLobby. This stuff is paper thin so it can easily be formed but resist heat so you could solder to it if you need to. Just my $0.02 worth
 _GOTOTOP