_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
What is the little "M" Bar/Campaign Ribbon?
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 793 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 - 10:37 PM UTC
I've noticed a little Bar with attributes next to certain names. What is the use of this??
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 - 10:42 PM UTC
It means that the person serves as a Moderator in that Forum Topic. Moderators help the Site Master in managing discussions going on there - easy here at ArmoramA as the members are very well-behaved...

Gunnie
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 - 10:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It means that the person serves as a Moderator in that Forum Topic. Moderators help the Site Master in managing discussions going on there - easy here at ArmoramA as the members are very well-behaved...

Hee hee......

YodaMan
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 - 10:49 PM UTC
Seriously though, (heh heh) how does one become a moderator? I'd assume knowledge of the topic would be required. In that case, I'd semi-qualify for the spaceship forum. (and NHL playoffs forums - just ban everyone who isn't a Red Wings fan... just kidding! )

YodaMan
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 - 11:09 PM UTC
Tak, Danke, Merci, Thanks, Dank Uw, Arigato, Toda Rabbah, Merci Vill Mols, Grazie, Gracias, Epharisto Poli, etc, etc, so on and so forth.

CJ
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 - 11:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Tak, Danke, Merci, Thanks, Dank Uw, Arigato, Toda Rabbah, Merci Vill Mols, Grazie, Gracias, Epharisto Poli, etc, etc, so on and so forth.

Hvala... in my language

Mario M.

GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 - 11:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Seriously though, (heh heh) how does one become a moderator? I'd assume knowledge of the topic would be required. In that case, I'd semi-qualify for the spaceship forum. (and NHL playoffs forums - just ban everyone who isn't a Red Wings fan... just kidding! )

YodaMan

Actually, Jim appoints those so fortunate as to be deemed Moderator Material. Send him a PM about a forum you're interested in - and he'll take it from there!

Sensei Gunnie
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 - 11:20 PM UTC
Hvala, that's cool! I don't think I could stand the stress associated with the selection process! Makes me think of Miss America, or Mr. Muscle contests!

Cheers

Jack, just for the fun of it all!
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 - 11:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hee hee......

Now, where did I leave my Ysalimari...

Gunnie
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 12:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gunnie

Hope you left him on his tree branch. Otherwise.... well, the poor guy....

YodaMan
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 12:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Gunnie

Hope you left him on his tree branch. Otherwise.... well, the poor guy....

YodaMan

DOH!!!

Gunnie
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 12:31 AM UTC
One of the "duties" of a moderator is to help steer topics back on track. Other sites delete off-topic posts or send little nasty-grams to the poster. As Gunnie pointed out, we have a well-behaved clientele, but that doesn't mean we don't have to guide threads back on-topic or inform folks that the new discussion would best be served under a new heading.
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 12:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

DOH!!!

Much to learn, have you... :-)
How many moderators are on the site, anyway? It's hard to keep track since the 'M' banners don't stay with the avatars in every topic. I think I'll put in the 'formal' request to Jim tomorrow.

YodaMan
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 12:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

DOH!!!

How many moderators are on the site, anyway? It's hard to keep track since the 'M' banners don't stay with the avatars in every topic. I think I'll put in the 'formal' request to Jim tomorrow.

YodaMan

Does that request need to be done in triplicate? :-) :-)
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 12:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

DOH!!!

YodaMan

We probably don't have enough Moderators - actually :-) so send in your request. I'm all for more Moderators - as long as it does not become the Forum Police Squad. Sure, the topics wander a bit, and do come back to the thread at hand or generate another thread. However, I am dead-set against promoting what goes on elsewhere - and the experienced forum travellers out there know what I mean. ArmoramA has a good balance between staying on topic, and a little banter, right now - I'd like to see it stay that way...

Gunnie
Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 12:45 AM UTC
Many of us volunteered when Jim first started the site. I don't have a moderator badge here since I am not a moderator of this forum. FYI, at the top of the forum page, it says Moderators: then it lists the moderators with their name underlined. I think I moderate Armor, Junk Drawer and Aircraft. Maybe some others, but we all tend to watch over the whole herd so to speak.
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 12:49 AM UTC
The forum police? EEK! Scary! I think that the sometimes off-topic banter is one of the things that makes this site so much fun! People start talking about a model, go off topic for about 10 posts, then they're right back to the topic! For the most part, it seems like everyone gets back on topic eventually. (not that a few comments about a yslarimi are a bad thing )

YodaMan
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 01:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think that the sometimes off-topic banter is one of the things that makes this site so much fun! People start talking about a model, go off topic for about 10 posts, then they're right back to the topic!

Quite right... We can all engage in a conversation about a totally non-modeling thing, laugh a bit and eventualy come back to the topic and learn new things in modeling. That is what makes this site so special. I feel like we are not only exchanging modeling tips, but also getting to know one another on a more personal basis. I like that very much...

Mario M.

Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 02:52 AM UTC
That's right, it's another reason why this site is more user-friendly, we don't pull people's post for the slightest infraction (except for a certain troll we had). We tend to let folks ramble on and on...
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 02:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That's right, it's another reason why this site is more user-friendly, we don't pull people's post for the slightest infraction (except for a certain troll we had). We tend to let folks ramble on and on...

Absolutely! This is the best bunch around anywhere! Quite frankly - Trolls bite!!!

Now - can anyone tell me what the heck this avatar means???

Gunnie
Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 03:04 AM UTC
That's the "alien", I think it signifies that what is being said is wierd or off-beat.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 03:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That's the "alien", I think it signifies that what is being said is wierd or off-beat.

Aaaah, thank you there Sabot. Me thinks should be used more often here...

Gunnie
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 03:14 AM UTC
Like Rob said, i think we only had one incedent where we had to send out the Forum Police. Other then that, at least for me, I havnt had to pull the billy stick out on any body. Every body here shows a lot of proffesionalism with a bit of humor and fun.
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 03:27 AM UTC
pssst, i cant type too loud. i think theres a few of the 'men in black' at my front door... i must've found a bootleg copy of the new movie.... uh oh, they're coming in. help meeeee

One of the things I like best about the site is the fact that most everybody has a mutual respect for each other. I've never seen any put-downs, insults or anything like that. I think that's great!

YodaMan
M.I.B. agent 'Y'
 _GOTOTOP