_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Early Armor
WWI and other early tanks and armored cars.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Mil-Mod plans for Lancia Armoured Lorry
mecanix
Visit this Community
Kerry, Ireland
KitMaker: 201 posts
Armorama: 189 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 08, 2010 - 11:22 AM UTC

I have taken a yen to build an Armoured Lorry based upon a Lancia chassis as used by the RIC,RUC and the Irish Army during the Anglo-Irish War and the Civil War 1919-1922.

These two, seen helping bombard the Dublin Four Courts in June 1922, are a Lancia IZ type 1912/16 based vehicle on the left and a Triota type 1921 on the right. The were also known as "cage cars"or "chicken coops" because of the anti-grenade screens often fiitted over the open compartment.
The most likely one will be "Handy Andy" an ex RIC machine seen below in Irish Army service loading Vickers ammunition belts.

I belive a set of drawings and two feature articles appeared about this vehicle type in the May/June 1980 UK publication Military Modelling under the title "Armoured Cars in Ireland" written by Peter Leslie.
Because of distant circumstances my collection does'nt now go back that far. So if anybody can help with a copy of at least the drawings I would be very gratefull and of course cover any costs.
Thanks and regards
Paddy
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 08, 2010 - 11:57 AM UTC
Hi Paddy, I can't help with drawing but you might find more help either on the Military Modelling website or over on the missing lynx WW1 forum
I Look forward to seeing your model.
mecanix
Visit this Community
Kerry, Ireland
Posted: Friday, April 09, 2010 - 12:24 AM UTC
Pat,
Thanks or the pointers I will give them a try.

I don't suppose you would like to hazard a guess as to the colour?

RIC/RUC bottle green perhaps.

regards
P

RKinsella
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 603 posts
Armorama: 575 posts
Posted: Friday, April 09, 2010 - 03:20 AM UTC
Excellent choice of build Paddy,I too look forward to seeing this thread develop!

..I'll be back later with suggestive color but grey is the direction your going for an RIC version ( or later Free State version), bottle green for RUC versions

..BTW I got your email, i'll get back to ya later when I get home
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 10:07 AM UTC
"May/June 1980 UK publication Military Modelling under the title "Armoured Cars in Ireland" written by Peter Leslie."

Paddy, it is very likely that I have most or all of 1980's MM stashed in a cupboard at my mother's house and I will be going there at the weekend. That article even rings some distant bell. . .

Do you still need it? If so I will check it out and can then scan it for you.

Let me know.
mecanix
Visit this Community
Kerry, Ireland
Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 11:30 AM UTC
Matthew,

Thank you very much for taking the time and your offer but....

A set of copies of both articles popped through the letter box this morning from

a contact in Scotland. It never rains etc..

Thanks again.

regards

P
 _GOTOTOP