_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Use of Future
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 - 11:54 PM UTC
I would like to get some thoughts from you all about the use of this product. I've read that a lot of people are using this and thought that I would give it a try. I've just finished applying the base coat for my model and was wondering about when I should use Future and how. Should I use Future before or after applying the decals and should it be thinned with anything? Also, how is is applied? Via airbrush I assume, but you know what they say about assuming things.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 12:52 AM UTC
For what it's worth Adam, when I use Future - I do it before laying down decals and after the decals have setup to mask over the thickness of the decal film. This is before general weathering of the model - to weather the decals along with the rest of the model. As I do not employ the "wash" technique in finishing models, I'm not concerned with Future reacting with anything else I put over it.

Gunnie
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 12:59 AM UTC
Gunnie,

Does this sound like a good order?

Apply base coat (acrylic paints)
Apply Future
Apply Decals
Apply Future
Apply Dull Cote
Apply Wash
DryBrush
Pastels

Do you use an airbrush to apply the Future? Is the Dull Cote necessary when using Future? Do you know if Turpenoid will react with the Future (I know you don't do the wash but you may know anyway)? Should I stop asking questions?

Thanks

GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 01:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gunnie,

Does this sound like a good order?

Apply base coat (acrylic paints)
Apply Future
Apply Decals
Apply Future
Apply Dull Cote
Apply Wash
DryBrush
Pastels

Do you use an airbrush to apply the Future? Is the Dull Cote necessary when using Future? Do you know if Turpenoid will react with the Future (I know you don't do the wash but you may know anyway)? Should I stop asking questions?

Thanks

Yes - I shoot Future with my airbrush - 100% and not cut with anything else. I follow up with either water or lacquer thinner. Lacquer Thinner seems to clean up almost anything.

The sequence is not quite right Sir! If you apply a Dull Cote before employing the wash - you'll wind up with an overall darkening of the finish and a general mess (not to be confused with General Failure ). After the Future has setup - at least a day - then you can go with a light wash - and then Dull Cote. Turpenoid (I use it alot in replicating wood finishes with oils) won't affect it if the Future has had time to cure properly. The Dull Cote is really necessary if you use Future because of the shiny slickness of the acrylic coat. However, there is a trick to this:

If you want to replicate the shinier US finishes from the 1950's - apply the Dull Cote from the spray can. You'll get a Satin finish.

If you want a "dead" finish, apply the Dull Cote with your airbrush - cut with around 40% lacquer thinner.

Other than that - your sequence sounds great!

NO - you should never stop asking questions. Spend some more time here and you'll notice the same questions being asked again, and again, and again - we love it!!!

Gunnie
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,454 posts
Armorama: 330 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 01:54 AM UTC
daft question!......what is future?
Arthur
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 01:59 AM UTC
Future is an acrylic floor wax sold here in the US. I think that it is made by SC Johnson. I am pretty sure that you can get it in the UK because I know a modeler in the UK who uses it.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 02:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

daft question!......what is future?
Arthur

Hee hee hee - couldn't resist

Future is the brandname of an acrylic based floor finish sold here in the US. The stuff is great for modeling too - as a protective coat on models or for dipping aircraft model canopies in to increase the level of shine. I actually took a Revell MASH Helicopter bubble, and sanded it with a fine shanding stick to smooth out the finish. Then I dipped it into the Future to restore the shine. It came out so good you could see a rainbow effect when the light hit it just right. Must have caught the judges eyes too - as the little thing was awarded a Second Place at my first US National Convention in 1994. I've been sold ever since.

Not only does it protect the model and improve a clear part's appearance, but you can use it as glue in limited applications. I will protect a windshield on a softskin with Future, and when dry, tack it into place with a 0000 brush dipped into a little bit of Future before masking and airbrushing wiper marks after it sets.

As Homer Simpson might say - what can't Future do?!?

Gunnie
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 02:04 AM UTC
Gunnie,

Quoted Text

I follow up with either water or lacquer thinner. Lacquer Thinner seems to clean up almost anything.

Do you do this to clean the airbrush or do you mean spray it onto the model. I'm guessing the you mean to clean the airbrush, but I would like to be certain.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 02:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gunnie,

Quoted Text

I follow up with either water or lacquer thinner. Lacquer Thinner seems to clean up almost anything.

Do you do this to clean the airbrush or do you mean spray it onto the model. I'm guessing the you mean to clean the airbrush, but I would like to be certain.

VBG! :-) - most certainly to shoot through the airbrush to clean it!

Now - you could shoot the lacquer thinner onto the model to kill an overapplication of Dull Cote (that dreaded "frosted-flakes" look) - but that's a different story...

Gunnie
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 02:09 AM UTC
Thanks! What does "VBG!" mean?

BTW, I was just over at your website and I must say that I am really impressed with your modeling skills. I especially liked your M-41 and your "Nancy" Gun Truck.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 03:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks! What does "VBG!" mean?

BTW, I was just over at your website and I must say that I am really impressed with your modeling skills. I especially liked your M-41 and your "Nancy" Gun Truck.

Many thanks for the compliment!

VBG means "Very Big Grin" in Internet-Geek Speak

Gunnie
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 03:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

VBG means "Very Big Grin" in Internet-Geek Speak

You'd think that I'd know that being a Software Engineer and all.
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 455 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 05:18 AM UTC
One of our Commonwealth fellows (Lt. Arthur) asked "what is Future?" We gave an answer, but to amplify that the product is available in Great Britain under the brand name Johnson's Kleer. A lot of Brit modelers use the stuff. Now then....

Allow me to throw a cautionary wet blanket on this. I used the stuff for a while on aircraft, convinced by others that it would not yellow over time as some claimed that Testor's Glosscote would do. I stopped using Future when it began to turn white and wash off during the process of gently washing the model clean of decal adhesive and setting solutions. The model is nearly done, and this stuff starts to decompose! I freaked out, naturally. Same thing happened to a buddy recently on his Tamiya Mosquito. Aplying more Future can fix the model, but after my experience I went back to Testor's Glosscote. And I have models on the shelf nearing twenty years old; and I can't see that the clear coat (gloss or flat) has yellowed on any of them. Just my two cent's worth...
Greg
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 05:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

One of our Commonwealth fellows (Lt. Arthur) asked "what is Future?" We gave an answer, but to amplify that the product is available in Great Britain under the brand name Johnson's Kleer. A lot of Brit modelers use the stuff. Now then....

Allow me to throw a cautionary wet blanket on this. I used the stuff for a while on aircraft, convinced by others that it would not yellow over time as some claimed that Testor's Glosscote would do. I stopped using Future when it began to turn white and wash off during the process of gently washing the model clean of decal adhesive and setting solutions. The model is nearly done, and this stuff starts to decompose! I freaked out, naturally. Same thing happened to a buddy recently on his Tamiya Mosquito. Aplying more Future can fix the model, but after my experience I went back to Testor's Glosscote. And I have models on the shelf nearing twenty years old; and I can't see that the clear coat (gloss or flat) has yellowed on any of them. Just my two cent's worth...
Greg

Excellent advice Greg! I admit I have had none of these problems with Future - but I also stated that I don't use the aggressive solvents and solutions others do on their models. Could be blissful ignorance there . I have never had a yellowing problem with Gloss Cote either - though I heard about those problems from other modelers.

I know local guys have switched to a product called Varethane for protecting their aircraft models. I have never tried, or seen, the stuff in action but they say it cures tough-as-nails. I think that's a bit over-the-top for armor modeling purposes, but maybe some A/C modelers here have used Varethane with success...

Gunnie
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 455 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 06:03 AM UTC
VARATHANE!?!? Yikes! I use that stuff on my windowsills! Yeah, it's great for woodwork but I would be real cautious about using it on a model. I wonder what one would thin it with for airbrush use? I'll stick to the tried-and-true Testor's products, thanks...call me a Luddite, I guess! :-)
Greg
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 06:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

VARATHANE!?!? Yikes! I use that stuff on my windowsills! Yeah, it's great for woodwork but I would be real cautious about using it on a model. I wonder what one would thin it with for airbrush use? I'll stick to the tried-and-true Testor's products, thanks...call me a Luddite, I guess! :-)
Greg

Man - I KNOW! It shocked me too. I'll rut through the local newsletters to see if I can find any description of its use to add to this thread...

Gunnie
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 08:38 AM UTC
Here's the website

http://www.varathane.com/

Matt
 _GOTOTOP