Hosted by Darren Baker
Another Landy Image from Hobby Boss
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Friday, April 09, 2010 - 11:25 PM UTC
Only one image this time but shows the fenders and cargo bed off well...

The rest of the images can be seen:

http://armorama.com/news/6494

and:

http://armorama.com/news/6530
Sudzonic
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,096 posts
Armorama: 1,983 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 10, 2010 - 12:16 AM UTC
RSOV??
USAFSPOOK
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 116 posts
Armorama: 109 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 07:03 AM UTC
Indeed, it is a RSOV! Never thought I would see one in injected plastic since the Land Rover is not that popular here in the states (just don't know what's good, do we?), but it really is a significant vehicle in the evolution and history of the military Land Rover. I just wish there was more information available on the actual vehicle and its' service history with the U.S. Army Rangers. Was it ever used in any actual combat situations? About the only ones who know are currently serving or former Rangers, and security reasons may keep them from going into too much detail. It is still great to see this version and the others Hobby Boss will be releasing soon. Having a diorama with a RSOV coming out the back of a 1/35 CHINOOK would look impressive--finally have something to fill that empty cargo hold. Thanks to all who have spoken up to give the Land Rover the attention it rightly deserves!
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 11:23 AM UTC
Significant? Whilst from a sales point of view the Ranger variant may indeed be significant but i fail to see how the limited number of Actual vehicles used by one formation of the US Military is significant in the development of the military rover. The Original SAS and SASR LR, WMIK, LRPVs and RFSV variants are significant in the development but the RSOV just mimicks these developments.
I am open to to contrary views though.
Cheers
Al
RKinsella
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 603 posts
Armorama: 575 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 12:06 PM UTC
From a "purpose built" production point of view, which came first guys, the RSOV or the more common British variants like the WMIK??
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 12:38 PM UTC
The Ranger SOV is no longer used by the Rangers since the GMV Humvee replaced it. The Land Rover SOV was purchased after the 1991 Gulf War and not used in 1993 Somalia as far as I know. It's a transport vehicle with guns, never intended as an assault vehicle.
USAFSPOOK
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 116 posts
Armorama: 109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 10:41 AM UTC
I guess what I was referring to mostly by "significant" was that when an elite organization in the U.S. military such as the Rangers chooses a foreign made vehicle, it says something about the item in question. I am sure Land Rover liked to brag about this contract when making sales pitches to other countries. It is very rare when the U.S. government awards contracts to foreign countries for important weapons systems, especially for their special forces. Now I know that the U.S. does buy some foreign systems, and I do not want to get into an argument over that, but not often something as important as this is (or was?) to the Rangers and how they accomplish certain missions. I do not believe any of these vehicles were license- built here in the U.S., either. Maybe some of the final detailing--I do not know. I also am aware that the USMC purchased a Mercedes G-Wagon type vehicle when they purchased their Interim Fast Attack Vehicles (IFAV) some years ago (one of the contenders being a WMIK type vehicle tendered by Land Rover), but I do not know much about its operational history, either. I also believe at least some of it was license-built in the U.S. since the company that received the contract was Advanced Vehicle Systems of Washington D.C.. How many planes, tanks, helos, vehicles, etc. does the U.S. military have in its inventory that come from foreign countries? I guess that was my point.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 08:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It's a transport vehicle with guns, never intended as an assault vehicle.

The LR with the WMIK kit was never designed as an assault vehicle - it's role has always been that of recce,
dropshot
Visit this Community
Provincia de Pontevedra, Spain / España
KitMaker: 300 posts
Armorama: 214 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 11:59 PM UTC
In the magazine Land Rover World of January 2003 there was a 12 page specia feature published about 6 restored Land Rovers of the collector Barry Pocock ,One of which was an SOV 110. It states in the article that trials first took place at Eastnor Castle in ´91 & pleased with the results ,the Americans placed an order for a batch of some 150 vehicles plus. Objectively they were developed for quick extraction missions ,therefore air-portability,short-range & extensive firepower being the key. Fuel capacity was limited to the one tank holding only 45/50 litres because it wasn´t expected to see no more than 4 or 5 hours of action. First deployed at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics to counter any terrorist threat. The article says that these vehicles were never used in any war situation. In the restoration process of the vehicle in question, Arabic writing was uncovered on the bulkhead ,sparking of theories that this particular prototype may have been used American vehicle trials in Oman or possibly used in training with the Oman Special Forces ,who had strong links with the SAS. Loads,armament & accessories are always subject to varying specifications with vehicles of this type. So when the kit comes out you can all "go to town on it " I´ve seen some photos on the net but not very much details so we can all keep within the realms of probabilities & possibillities without counting rivets & come up with some nice models.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 02:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

How many planes, tanks, helos, vehicles, etc. does the U.S. military have in its inventory that come from foreign countries? I guess that was my point.

Well, uh, let's see...of the top of my head...

* Army M252 mortar = British design
* Army M119 105mm howitzer = Brit
* Army M777 155mm howitzer = Brit
* USMC Harrier = Brit
* USMC LAVs = Swiss Mowag design
* Army Pandur 6X6 Armored Car for Special Forces = Austria
* Army MRAPs = South African designs
* Army Buffalo = South African designs
* Army M2 Bradleys, M113, HiMARs, FMTV = BAE (Brit) bought United Defense
* Army C-23 Sherpa = Brit
* Army UAVs = various
* Navy HSV-1 = Australia
callmehobbes
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 07:18 AM UTC
Any more news/updates?
m75
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 661 posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2010 - 03:42 PM UTC
Sorry, I missed the common thread for this post, the one that discusses the upcoming Rover release as a plastic model. Seems to have fallen away from the desire to "be the most right". Can we remain focused and "on-target" here? There are pleanty of other forums that can support the verbage being exchanged here.
 _GOTOTOP