Hosted by Darren Baker
Airfix 1:76 Matilda "Hedgehog"
sabredog
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 10, 2010 - 03:38 PM UTC
Finally got this little kit finished and most impressed with it as well! A build review on Military Modelling by Robin Buckland motivated me to put this little gem put to the top of the build pile!

I was a little concerned about finished colour and the reported lack of forward fenders over the track runs. However a picture found in one of my references of Hedgehog "Bull Pup" in Queensland did not have these fenders so all was well.

The colour of the preserved example at Puckapunyal did not sit right with me either so I went for a darker more appropriate colour.

For a rep-pop kit, it was a simple build with the additional Hedgehog launcher needing to have some minor surgery to allow for correct fit. Without corrective surgery the launcher would have sat too far back on the upper rear deck.

Painted using Vallejo, followed by oils washes and filtering. MIG pigments finished off the weathering.

Not bad for AU$6.95 ( in my case a raffle prize!)

Cheers

Mike
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 979 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 10, 2010 - 04:30 PM UTC
Michael,

That's a right nice looking little Matilda!

The base looks very good, too.

A few things I noticed that might help you...

It's hard to tell, but are there any track marks in the ground behind the Matilda? It looks like it might have airdropped into place. But like I said, it's hard to tell in the pictures.

Did Matildas have antennas? If they did, you could add one to what looks like the base on the turret rear.

Please don't take this wrong, because I really like the fern plant! But the fern leaves look a little too flat, to me, from side to side, not along their length. But this could be the picture view. Or maybe a little random up and down of each point along the leaf...
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 10, 2010 - 04:45 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments.

The Matilda is indeed embedded into the base with distinct deep track marks to the rear.

This pic might show that more clearly...

I did not include this one as a bit of fluff was on the launcher cover. I removed it and retook several images.

I like the idea about the fern and will do some tweezer work

Cheers

Mike
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 11, 2010 - 08:28 AM UTC
Very fascinating subject and nice work on the kit and base. It's always enjoyable to see what a bit of effort can do to an old kit. In fact I never knew Airfix had a Matilda in their stable.

Cheers,
Jan
pasdj002
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 113 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 11, 2010 - 08:43 AM UTC
Nice work, i have this one in my stash.

How did you find the overall fit?

Damian
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 08:10 PM UTC
Excellent in fact, apart from a smidgin of filler needed at the front.
 _GOTOTOP