_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
WW 2 civilian cars in France?
caanbash
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,093 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 08:44 PM UTC
I will build a civilian car in France, 1944, on which a stone block of a building has fallen down. I do not know which cars and what models were used in France at that period. If anybody's got any information about that, and where to find some 3 view drawings, could he share?
Thanks.
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 09:14 PM UTC
Why don't you look at this site?

Here you can find old-timers from the war and not only cars but also trucks and busses

France: Renault and Citroen, there will be more that drove there then only those 2 but these are French made and I am totally ignorant if it com's to cars (it has a engine 4 wheels a steering wheel and it cost a lot)

http://www.autogallery.org.ru/gal.htm

Have fun
caanbash
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 10:43 PM UTC
Thank you, nice site to have information from. I still need some sources for drawings, though. I know, I am looking for something hard to find
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 10:55 PM UTC
More likely you will get drawings on sites more related to automobiles. They may be in 1:43 or 1:24 scale but there are scale calculators available to convert to 1:35.
I realise you must be planning a major scratch build here, but there are some 1:35 cars available of german subjects ... if you wished. A few companies have volkswagon beetles and other staff cars used by higher ranking staff.
caanbash
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 11:07 PM UTC
I looked at many shops, but here in Turkey, it is almost impossible to find hobby materials. I found lots of military vehicles, but not a single civilian one before 1980s. I am quite sure that I will have to go to the depth of scratchbuilding here. Maybe I should post this to scratchbuilders forum, too.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2003 - 12:07 AM UTC

Yow, Ronnie. I got quite a nasty surprise when I went to that link and saw the anti-American introduction to the page.

To Walter: Matchbox and Lindberg both made 1/32nd scale car kits from the 1930s. You might be able to find them for sale on eBay or car model sites. I have an old Matchbox Citreon LeGere I'm using in a dio right now -- same idea as your's with a building fallen on it. By the way, 1/32nd civilian vehicles don't look noticably out of scale next to 1/35th military vehicles. I believe there are also some 1/35th civilian vehicles made in resin by aftermarket companies, but they are rather expensive to bury in rubble in a dio.
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2003 - 12:19 AM UTC
Bob,

I just went back to that site and I have to admit that I did not notice the anti-american text.
I found the site through Google (1940 car renault) and simply copied the URL.

It was not my intend to stirr up some emotions, sorry
caanbash
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2003 - 01:03 AM UTC
I realized the content of that page, too. I do not criticise the things said there being either right or wrong, but my surprise is about why someone should place such a propaganda on a web site which is meant to be related to cars and trucks? Nonsense... Tasteless... Useless...
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2003 - 07:47 AM UTC
No problem, Ronnie. It was just a surprise on an otherwise useful site.

Walter, you might want to check your library for auto manuals and books on old cars. Sometimes older books have nice line drawings that can be scaled if you know the size of the tires, or the overall length of a vehicle. It takes a little math skill, but it's not impossible. Then figure the percentage to enlarge or reduce and have it done on a copier to make 1/35th scale plans.

Because you are planning to do a wrecked or partially wrecked vehicle, you have some room for error without it being noticable.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2003 - 05:55 PM UTC
Just out of curiousity, where is this site coming out of? He wants to boycott products coming out of the most of the civilized world. I guess he uses a tincan and string for a phone, walks everywhere he goes, and uses an outhouse. Anyway, I sure would like to know whre one can find one of those big Mercedes cars that the Uppity-ups of the 3rd Reich drove around in, one of those double axles. Anybody ever see a kit?
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2003 - 09:01 PM UTC
Well - if this guy truly BOYCOTTS products made in the US, I wonder what BROWSER he uses, what Operating System he has, and where the CPU in his computer came from? Surely not products from that capitalisic country that is home to Netscape, Microsoft, and Intel, eh?

Strange how one can determine his/her level of revolt based on what is convenient!
 _GOTOTOP