_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Chally 2 Op Telic Deployment help
csmanning
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 333 posts
Armorama: 321 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 07:25 AM UTC
Hey Everyone

I'm looking to make contact with someone who can help/assist me with questions I have regarding the following subjects:

Is there someone out there that has a very good understanding of the British Armoured units that have participated in all of Op Telic Roulements? Most specifically from the last 2-3 years? Deployment dates? Deployment areas? Which units specifically? Good resources? etc?

I'm also looking for someone who can help me out with Chally 2 markings during that time frame as well. I don't have a good grasp on the Chally 2 markings with the new 2008 & 2009 uparmoured versions as seen in Iraq (Telic) and Afghanistan (Herrick).

I have a lot of questions so I want to leave it open incase it is a topic better suited to discuss over email with one or two individuals versus here on the open forum.

If there's anyone out there that can help me out with my questions please post or drop me a PM. Thanks in advance!!

Carmen
DA5705
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 27 posts
Armorama: 24 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 10:07 AM UTC
You can find the list of who was on which roulemont here.

From memory, Op Telic XIII was the final full deployment before the withdrawal and began in November 2009. Our tours in Iraq were generally April/May to October/November for the Summer tour and the mirror for the Winter tour.

By 2008/09, I think all British units based in Iraq would have been in Basra, either at the airport or the Palace. Not certain on whether Shaiba Log Base was kept open until the end.
PiperDan
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 180 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 - 04:11 PM UTC
First, you will need to lay hands on these two books:

British Next Generation Armour

British Armour Evolution

Second, you need to understand that the Challenger 2 has not [yet] been deployed to Afghanistan (Op Herrick).

Third, what are you going to do about the tracks? The Chally 2 has been fitted with new tracks as of 2007 or so; any of the available tracks represent the old double-pin tracks.

Fourth, contact me off-line as I may have some reference material for you ... once you've promised to buy those books (if you haven't already).

Cheers - Dan
 _GOTOTOP