_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Techniques
Diorama techniques and related subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Glue for foam ?
trooper82
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 18, 2010 - 01:24 PM UTC
Which glue should I use for sticking plastic card to blue insulation foam ? Need a strong,lasting bond that will stay in place permanently.
Paul
Steve_W
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 44 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 18, 2010 - 04:43 PM UTC
Hi Paul,
You could try any of the following...

PVA (might not adhere to the plastic card very well due to the smooth surface)
Copydex (use it as a contact adhesive)
PU (polyurethane... the stuff that foams/expands)
'Foam Safe' Cyanoacrylate (CA)
2-part Epoxy (preferably proper modelling epoxy, not araldite ;o)
Maybe 'No More Nails' type adhesive but never tried it personally.
Good quality double-sided tape.

Unfortunately you've picked a 'nightmare' combination to glue together... the blue foam will be melted by a lot of the best adhesives used for styrene... and the styrene, having a smooth surface, won't allow most of the above glues to get a grip... you'll need to rough it up with some abrasive paper.

"Need a strong,lasting bond that will stay in place permanently." - can you be a little more specific in the application & sizes involved? It'll give a better idea of exactly what you want to achieve.

HTH,
Steve
(ex. balsa basher & r/c aircraft builder)
voyager
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 65 posts
Armorama: 46 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 18, 2010 - 04:46 PM UTC
If PVA won't do it then I'd use epoxy. Superglue (cyanoacrylate) has a tendency to melt foam.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 - 01:51 AM UTC
PVA or carpenters glue will do it. Scratch the contact side of the plastic card and weigh it down after applying the glue.
A hot glue gun would also work if you apply the glue in just a few spots to avoid heat warping.
trooper82
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 - 09:18 AM UTC
Thanks for the replys, I am using plastic card to face the sides of a vignette that I am doing and wanted a surface that would take a nice even coat of paint,
The double sided tape had not crossed my mind but seems the safest bet at the moment.
Paul
Steve_W
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 44 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 - 12:09 PM UTC
Paul,
If you 'block' sand the edges of the blue foam so that they are flat and then remove/vacuum any dust (important!) you should find that gives the best surface for the double-sided tape to stick to. You can also try gently heating the tape - to help the adhesion - and rub it "into" the foam before removing the protective backing paper and applying the plasticard. Be warned - carpet tape can be very sticky stuff so it's probably a one-shot-deal.
trooper82
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 - 12:19 PM UTC
I'm at an early stage with nothing to loose and have plenty of blue foam. If all goes well I'll post some pictures
Paul
BoogalooJ
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 230 posts
Armorama: 105 posts
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 - 02:25 PM UTC
Since I am currently finishing my basement with the blue/pink foam stuff, I'll chip in here. I'm using a dedicated glue designed for foam called PL-300. It's a construction adhesive so sticks to anything and 100% guaranteed not to mold or degrade your foam. It comes in a tube like caulking and is fairly thick, but can be smoothed down. Not sure if it will smooth down like a white glue, but may be worth a look.

Jamie
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Armorama: 1,498 posts
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 - 02:25 PM UTC
I've used 3M Super 77 with great permanent (ten years now) results.
http://www.vernk.com/images/Starfire/BodyTubes/Super77Spray_LowRes.jpg

There is probably a product equivalent in the UK.

Just spray* evenly on both surfaces, let sit for a few minutes, then mate both surfaces. Once you touch the two together, you'll have no workable movement available.

* mask off and cover any local area that you don't want the sticky mist to get all over...

trooper82
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 12:37 PM UTC
Thanks Guys, I'm trying the tape first but will give these others a try if needed
Paul
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 02:57 PM UTC
I'm a great fan of Gorilla Glue now. It foams up a bit but if you spread it super thin on the foam, not the plastic, it should minimize it. Also, disregard the instructions and do not wet the foam side. Wetting it seems to trigger the foaming action. It will not attack the foam.
DaveInTheHat
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 57 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 05:54 AM UTC
I've had good luck using clear silicone to glue all kinds of stuff to foam. The down side is that it takes a day to dry. I use silicone to glue foam to plywood for dioramas. I also use it to glue plastic trim around the sides.
spoons
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 527 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 06:48 AM UTC
the trick with pva is 50/50 water mix on the foam (so it soaks in)let dry then thick coat on the scratched plastic card,this is normal way i do it,and it hasn't failed yet,the double sided stuff is OK but ive seen it dry out the adhesive then fall of.its OK if you need to stick a master on to some board for casting but it has no lasting strength
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,716 posts
Armorama: 1,638 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 06:26 PM UTC
Hello Paul .. if your useing blue foam and its the same stuff used on movie sets then your in luck ,,No More Nails will glue plastic to foam ( done it myself ) ,,another glue which will work to is one call Ados F2 .. glue both items and let it sit till its tacky ..then stick em together .. result is a very tight fit and it will not came apart ..i've been using F2 for more than 20 yrs and its never let me down , hope this helps you out .
Cheers

Phill
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 11:58 PM UTC
Very interesting thread!!!
A problem that no doubt many are facing at some point!

Thanks for bringing the question up...and thanks to all for the helpful replies!

This is one great reason why forums are so important!

Cheers

Romain
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 12:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am using plastic card to face the sides of a vignette that I am doing and wanted a surface that would take a nice even coat of paint,l

You dont need glue at all. Make a box with your plastic card ... 5 sides, and just set the foam in it to fill up the box. Add your ground work on top as normal.
 _GOTOTOP