Hosted by Darren Baker
M7 Priest Kitbash/scratchbuild
Capt_Concussion
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 39 posts
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 - 12:16 PM UTC
Like many I'm frustrated by the lack of Allied vehicles in 1/72.

Having recently built (but not finished ) the Revell re-release of the M7 Priest (1/76) and seeing the up-coming release of the Italeri fast build of the same I thought a kitbash was in order.

However no sign of the Italeri release so I thought I might try my hand at scratchbuilding

I have used the Mirage M3 for the chassis (I can't scratch build bogies!) and scratchbuilt the hull. This is my first attempt at any sort of scratchbuilding

Here:

Still plenty to do, not least the gun and the pulpit!. I will probably use the Matchbox kit I have for the gun and parts of the interior - so unfortunately I won't be completing the M7 in the Matchbox campaign. Though I do have a Matchbox Cromwell which I could perhaps hurry up!

Would be interersted to hear your comments on the Priest so far, and espiecally get any scratchbuild advice. I'm please with it so far
Capt_Concussion
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 - 12:24 PM UTC
Of course, Murphy's law means that the Italeri kit will now become easily available!
PanzerAlexander
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 625 posts
Armorama: 608 posts
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 - 08:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Of course, Murphy's law means that the Italeri kit will now become easily available!

...and will be available at stores the day you finish the one you have been scratchbuilding

fsrpcunha
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 39 posts
Armorama: 35 posts
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 - 08:43 PM UTC
That's a great scratch build. Don't forget the bolts between the tranny cover and the front plate.

And if you want to know more about the Italeri Priest:

http://www.onthewaymodels.com/reviews/Italeri/LDuarte_Italeri_Priest_Kangaroo_7513_preview.htm

You see your scratch build (early model) is safe since the Italeri Priest is a late model!

Cunha
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 09:27 AM UTC
Capt_Concussion,

Quoted Text

Still plenty to do, not least the gun and the pulpit!. I will probably use the Matchbox kit I have for the gun and parts of the interior - so unfortunately I won't be completing the M7 in the Matchbox campaign. Though I do have a Matchbox Cromwell which I could perhaps hurry up!

I am sorry to hear that you won't be completing your M7 for the Matchbox Campaign. There goes our chance to have an actual battery of them.

On the other hand, if you have the Matchbox Comet then you still have time to complete that for the campaign.

As for your scratchbuilding, it looks quite good. For the bolts on the transmission cover, several Dragon Shermans come with extra bolt strips that you could scavenge. It's part B4 on the 'B' sprue and that sprue is included with several Dragon Sherman kits. The M4A2 Tarawa has it as an unused piece. Just in passing, some Dragon Shermans come with as many as three transmission covers so if you have any of thse kits in your stash you might find the spare parts you can use.

Cheers,
Jan
Capt_Concussion
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 10:52 AM UTC
Tread geek,

I have the spare 'strip with bolts' from the Dragon Tarawa. But need to get the basics of the build done before those details.

I think you're right and it is no more than 'quite good'. There is some twist to the sides and I think the 'glacis' is a little short. Will check against references and may re-do the front - the non drivers side in partcular needs attention

Having said that it's my first try and I'm learning as I go!

Will try to get the Comet done for the campaign
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 11:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think you're right and it is no more than 'quite good'. There is some twist to the sides and I think the 'glacis' is a little short.

The "quite good" was in no way meant to be in any form disparaging. I have done a few (or more than a few) scratch and modifications and they can all be a bit rough before finishing (sanding, filling etc.). Your fit and such considering the angles involved is to be commended. I wish my early attempts were that good. Personally, I have found that plastic sheet less than .030" thickness has a tendency to distort or warp after gluing. The plates on your M7 are large enough to exhibit this trend. It's the limitations of the material, not your abilities.

Good luck,
Jan
Capt_Concussion
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 10:46 AM UTC
Made some progress on the Priest. I dismantled the build in the above photos and re-started.

This is what it looks like now

I didn't know if I was going to be capable of finishing this, but now I'm confident I'll get a reasonable model out of this.

Pulpit next, then it's just bits and pieces
PanzerAlexander
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 625 posts
Armorama: 608 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 05:31 PM UTC
It's looking good buddy.
 _GOTOTOP