_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
M3 Tracks
kf8xo
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 114 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 01:48 AM UTC
Am I correct in stating that M3's had rubber block tracks?? Last bit to do and I will post pics. I decided to build the first tank I ever built 25 years later to see if I've gotten any better....

210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 01:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Am I correct in stating that M3's had rubber block tracks?? Last bit to do and I will post pics. I decided to build the first tank I ever built 25 years later to see if I've gotten any better....

Sir--if you are discussing the M-3 Lee/Grant then I believe you can safely use all rubber track blocks. If you are addressing the M-3 Stuart rubber blocks would be apprpriate. However, they did run steel clets on them during the winter months in Europe.
One of the other subject matter experts may have more accurate data for you. But, I think I speak the truth here.
DJ
Ps--Word to the wise-----they really beat up on you when you're inaccurate or fail to speak the truth.
kf8xo
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 02:05 AM UTC
I'm married, I can take any beating they can give! Thanks, I thought so, but in a moment of weakness, I wanted to confirm. And it is the M3 Lee (Nasty old Tamiya!)
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 02:29 AM UTC
Amigo--the Tamiya is a very nice kit. I have several. Like the Lee set-up, but that Grant will always get me. Monogram (a thousand years ago) made a Lee in 1/32 scale. I did that one in '72 and it is still going strong on the mantle. Look forward to seeing your work.
DJ
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 02:39 AM UTC
Don't knock the Tamiya Lee! Great kit, wish someone would do an interior for it. Dresses up nicely with the Eduard PE and Jordi Rubio barrels. Add a set of the AFV Club workable T51 track (AF3526) and it is a nice rendition.

BTW, I believe the best M3 Grant/Lee was done by Airfix in 1/32 (contained the option to both the Grant or the Lee) and is superior to both the Monogram and Tamiya Grant/Lees.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 08:24 AM UTC
I wholeheartedly agree with you Rob. Tamiya's M3 Lee was and is one of my favorite builds.
I guess it's because it's the first armor kit I ever built...long ago. I built another one last year w/o any AMs. Still builds to a nice "model" of the Lee.
One of these years someone will make a nice interior for this long overlooked and neglected model. I would just love to be able to have the hull's side hatches open to show off the workings. :-)
kf8xo
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 08:34 AM UTC
My first one was the Monogram Lee in '77. I was pulled into the hobby by the Shep Paine insert...so began the saga. I agree the Tamiya is a nice build, just wish it didn't have the big open spots over the track (yeah, I coulda closed it up with card stock, but....) if you threw some glue in the box and shake it, the kit builds itself. Thanks for the input. How long till PFC?
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 09:55 AM UTC
PFC...hmmm...I think you're there now.
Congrats!!! :-)
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 07:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Don't knock the Tamiya Lee! Great kit, wish someone would do an interior for it. Dresses up nicely with the Eduard PE and Jordi Rubio barrels. Add a set of the AFV Club workable T51 track (AF3526) and it is a nice rendition.

BTW, I believe the best M3 Grant/Lee was done by Airfix in 1/32 (contained the option to both the Grant or the Lee) and is superior to both the Monogram and Tamiya Grant/Lees.

Rob--never did the Airfix. I assume Monogram got their mold and pumped out that fine vehicle. I have been a sucker for the Lee/Grant systems ever since I saw Humphrey Bogart in "Sahara." Favorite lines "I am from the Army" and "Got a butt, Waco?" Great flick.
DJ
 _GOTOTOP