_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Churchill Experts - I Need Some Advice Please
nheather
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 295 posts
Armorama: 204 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2010 - 10:43 PM UTC
I'm building an AFV Club Churchill III.

Haven't got very far - in fact I've just completed Step 1.

Thi involves sticking the big rivets on the outside of the sponsons.

I followed the instructions exactly, which says use part E29, which is a circular rivet with two flats (presumably so they could get a spanner (wrench) on it).

I noticed there were two types of rivets in the kit, those and another set which were circular without flats.

I assumed that these were for a different model that uses a common sprue as the instructions showed no alternative.

But later I was looking at the box art and I saw that it shows the circular rivets and reading the spec on the front of the box it says alternative rivets supplied.

The instructions make no mention of alternatives and just shows the ones with flats, but when I looked at the painting guide, it looks like three of the options have flats whilst the fourth has fully circular.

Unfortunately, it is the one of the two finsihes I was going to choose that has the circular rivets.

I also note that the front plate has two rivets but these are moulded in the plate and are circular - so no choice on the front.

So any experts out there can tell me

(i) What is the significance of the difference?

(ii) If I left the flat ones on the model but finished it in the circular colour scheme would it really matter.

I could still drill them out and attempt to remove them but I may end up with more mess than I can sort out with my limited skills.

Cheers,

Nigel

UPDATE: I've just had a look at the painting instructions and it does show the 'with flats' for all 4 schemes. The front artwork definitely shows 'without flats' as does every picture I can find on the internet. Also the AFV Club brass upgrade is just the 'without flats'. Anyone any idea?
ossie262
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 256 posts
Armorama: 250 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 01:49 AM UTC
Hi
AFV CLUB do two sets of brass rivets .
AG35020 MK1 –MK3 with flat edges
AG35021 MK3-MK6 rounded

I am building the AVRE MK3 and I am using the round version. As per the AVRE at the tank museum and the mk4 in France.
No idea why difference but the flat ones are also used on Cromwell and Centaur tanks

The front ones I left alone. Even though there is enough in the brass set of rivets to replace them .
Also there is a AG35022 brass gun barrel 57mmOQF 6pdr as well
Hope it helps Ossie

jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 2,012 posts
Armorama: 1,949 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 02:04 AM UTC
Hey Nigel,
You'll find this site of some help.
Cheers

jjumbo
nheather
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 295 posts
Armorama: 204 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 07:41 AM UTC
Thanks for the links. Seems there are as many 'with flats' as 'without flats' though there doesn't seem to be any reason.

So I should be okay.

I notice that where 'with flats' are used they are also on the front plate so that should be altered really.

One mistake I have made is that I have followed the instructions and positioned all the rivets neatly with the flats horizontal. In the photos they are not like that at all. They are at different angles but with some method.

Wish I had read this before, rather than following the instructions - I would have preferred to use the circular ones. I could still do it I guess but may require a fair amout of work.

Cheers,

Nigel
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2010 - 06:40 AM UTC
Hi Nigel,

Terry Ashley did a rev iew of the kit over on PMMS you might find helpful if you have't already linked into it.

http://perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/afvclub/afv35153.html

Al
 _GOTOTOP