_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Tamiya colors for Sherman tank
tylusfaust
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 371 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 07:39 AM UTC
I'm sure it's been asked before, but I couldn't find it in a search of the forums.

What Tamiya colors are good for a Sherman Tank late WWII? I know Tamiya has like 3 different versions of Olive, Olive Drab, and Green? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
dhmundy
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 41 posts
Armorama: 40 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 09:01 AM UTC
My favorite is "Zaloga OD" as mentioned in some of his builds - Tamiya OD (XF-62) mixed with Tamiya Dark Yellow (XF-60) in a 2:1 ratio
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 01:30 PM UTC
Tamiya XF-62 Olive Drab is a dead on match for No. 9 Olive Drab from World War Two, but, as Don pointed out, it should be lightened for scale effect (and for sun fading on older machines). Steve Zaloga prefers to use German Armor Sand (Dunkelgelb) to lighten the OD rather than white, as it doesn't make the color look chalky (Olive Drab was made by mixing yellow ochre with black pigment, so using ochre to lighten it makes sense). I think two to one is a pretty extreme mix, but it's all a matter of taste. Once the model is weathered, it's largely academic.
tylusfaust
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 371 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 01:48 PM UTC
Guys,
Thanks for the quick responses. Looks like I'm ordering a few bottles in the next few days.
alves
Visit this Community
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
KitMaker: 47 posts
Armorama: 30 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 02:23 PM UTC
Hi everybody,
This advice is valid for the British Sherman like Firefly?
Regards
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2010 - 06:40 AM UTC
Yes, Fireflies were US OD.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2010 - 05:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi everybody,
This advice is valid for the British Sherman like Firefly?
Regards

Fireflies were conversions done in the UK. While the basic vehicle was finished in US No. 9 Olive Drab, the portions rebuilt during the conversion, the turret loader's hatch addition, the gun mount and gun, hull stowage box, grouser and spare track stowage, and the turret radio box, were painted in British SCC-15 Olive Drab. It is possible that the entire tank was repainted, though paint supplies were limited, and the tank may have been spot painted only where necessary. British OD was greener than the US variety. You can mix four parts Tamiya Olive Green and three parts Tamiya Olive Drab to approximate it, or you can use the SCC-15 enamel by White Ensign Miniatures.
alves
Visit this Community
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
KitMaker: 47 posts
Armorama: 30 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 03:29 AM UTC
Thanks a lot Matthews and Gerald.
Regards
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2017 - 11:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Tamiya XF-62 Olive Drab is a dead on match for No. 9 Olive Drab from World War Two, but, as Don pointed out, it should be lightened for scale effect (and for sun fading on older machines). Steve Zaloga prefers to use German Armor Sand (Dunkelgelb) to lighten the OD rather than white, as it doesn't make the color look chalky (Olive Drab was made by mixing yellow ochre with black pigment, so using ochre to lighten it makes sense). I think two to one is a pretty extreme mix, but it's all a matter of taste. Once the model is weathered, it's largely academic.

so what tamiya color matches german armor sand? tamiya dark yellow?
 _GOTOTOP