_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Modern US Accessory set TAMYA /OIF?
Euro_Pro_USA
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 143 posts
Armorama: 124 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 12:45 AM UTC
I just got fro Hobby link Japan the Modern U.S. Accessory SEt of TAmya
THe kit is great but one question : is the "Alice PAck" (that s how they name it on the box`s back) still in service ?Is the type of Rucksacks and PAcks used in DEsert Storm still used today in the US MILITARY? I mean it s still important to know that as you can t add a rucksack on an APC that is no more used by soldiers.
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 579 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 02:38 AM UTC
I am 90% sure that the ALICE pack (its' a whole system of gear if I remember correctly) is still in widespread use. From a couple of guys I know in the military (1 is a Co Commander of a LAR unit & the other is a infantryman in the 82nd) the MOLLE, which was intended to replace the ALICE system is not widely issued and according to my Marine buddy- it is a piece of crap.

Again- I will defer to the knowledge of others...

Jim/ Jaster
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 02:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I just got fro Hobby link Japan the Modern U.S. Accessory SEt of TAmya
THe kit is great but one question : is the "Alice PAck" (that s how they name it on the box`s back) still in service ?Is the type of Rucksacks and PAcks used in DEsert Storm still used today in the US MILITARY? I mean it s still important to know that as you can t add a rucksack on an APC that is no more used by soldiers.

The ALICE (All-purpose Lightweight Individual Carrying Equipment) has been replaced by the MOLLE (MOdular Lightweight Load bearing Equipment) in most frontline units. However the ALICE equipment can still be found since many old soldiers own their own ALICE packs (a term interchangeable with rucksack). I would not be surprised to see an older ALICE pack hanging off the bustle rack of a tank.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 05:56 AM UTC
The Guard and reserve units still get issued the ALICE Equipment. I got issued ALICE Gear in my Guard unit, but went out and got newer type equipment instead of using the older equipment.
Now that more and more Guard and Reserves units are getting activated along side with the active duty units for all these different conflicts, it wouldnt be uncommon to see the older ALICE gear.
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 545 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 07:20 AM UTC
Hey Euro,

As Major Rob and Pete have mentioned (and I was chiming in here too for this) many US Guard and Reserve units still are issued/have the ALICE pack. and not the MOLLE. Verified these with a buddy of mine as I am not a regular service nor a resevist (regulatory compliance type of person) in the US Army. I am just a fan.......

Hope this welps you and I should be getting my accessories kit in soon too.

Dave
Euro_Pro_USA
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 10:26 AM UTC
Hi thanks a lot for help
Is the molle the rucksacks that tamya will soon release along with new jerrycans`?
typhoon
KitMaker: 23 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 12:22 PM UTC
Hey Euro_Pro
Do you have a part number for the Tamiya accessory kit. I can't find it listed on hlj.
I need to order several of these.

Thanks
Sabot
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 12:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The Guard and reserve units still get issued the ALICE Equipment. I got issued ALICE Gear in my Guard unit, but went out and got newer type equipment instead of using the older equipment.
Now that more and more Guard and Reserves units are getting activated along side with the active duty units for all these different conflicts, it wouldnt be uncommon to see the older ALICE gear.

The 42ID (Rainbow Division) is currently pulling gate guard duties at the air base I live at. They are wearing the new load bearing vest as opposed to the old LBE. These guys are Army National Guard from either NY, NJ, Mass, VT, NH or somewhere in the local area. I would not imagine they are any type of high priority unit, and would assume the old stuff would workjust fine for the ID checking they do, but they have the new stuff.
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 07:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The 42ID (Rainbow Division) is currently pulling gate guard duties at the air base I live at. They are wearing the new load bearing vest as opposed to the old LBE. These guys are Army National Guard from either NY, NJ, Mass, VT, NH or somewhere in the local area. I would not imagine they are any type of high priority unit, and would assume the old stuff would workjust fine for the ID checking they do, but they have the new stuff.

I was in D co 1/114th INF 42nd INF Division NJARNG and we got issued Gortex and the Load bearing Vests in 1999 before getting deployed to play OPFOR in Germany at Honsfeld

milojko
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 07:53 AM UTC
I AM NOT SURE IF YOUR TALKING ABOUT THE MODERN U.S. ACCS. SET THAT HAS BEEN AVAILABLE FOR A GOOD MANY YEARS BECAUSE AT THE NURENBURG TOY FAIR TAMIYA ANNOUNCED A BRAND NEW SET WHICH INCLUDES FOLDED COTS, SLEEPING BAGS AND FF SIGNS ALSO LOOK FOR A GULF WAR M113 THAT INCLUDES ALL OR SOME OF THE ABOVE
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,405 posts
Armorama: 656 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 08:12 AM UTC
For those familiar with the MOLLE. With the Backpack System how do you fire a weapon in the prone position while wearing a helmet?

merkava8
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 501 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 01:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

would assume the old stuff would workjust fine for the ID checking they do, but they have the new stuff.

C'mon Sabot...Didn't you know that rear ech troops get the new stuff first? Or does this only pertain to the Canadian Army as evidenced by Supply techs get Gortex bivy bags while frontline infantrymen are shivering in wet sleeping bags!! Or cooks and clerks, who will never use this stuff, get the new Tac Vests, while we make do with 20 year old stuff...Well I digress. But don't it piss you off!!!!!
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 02:01 PM UTC
Latest skinny from my in service buddys...

My future nephew, 82nd AB, did not have the MOLLE ruck yet... not sure what LBE he's using. An aside- he'd deployed to Iraq this AM....

My Marine friend, who had been a recruiter for for a couple of years spoke with extreme disdain of the MOLLE ruck. That said I am not sure if many Marines were using it. He indicated that the USMC was contracting with a civilian manufacturer of serious backpacking equipment for their future packs...

My $.02 worth- based on a rather small sample- no make that an EXTREMELY small sample.

Jim
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 03:47 PM UTC
Euro,
You see what you get, you ask one simple question and you get all these great answers and information.
As you can see. all most any gear is good right now for the US Military. Now you have to decide what unit you want to represent to get right what equipment they are wearing. So all in all, anything from the LBE's, LBV's and FLAK Jacket to the more current MOLLE System and SPEARS is current.
All I ask is please do not paint diferent color BDU's on a figure, meaning, mixing Woodland BDU's with DCU's (did anybody see the second part of the Iterlari M1A2 in Military in Scale, thats what I mean!!!!!) Someone might say, I see on TV mix uniforms!!! Those are MOPP suits over the BDU's/DCU's and its to much trouble to change your helmat cover ever time you change your uniform, so what you wear on your helmat from your duty station, pretty much stays on till you get back.
Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 12:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Latest skinny from my in service buddys...

My future nephew, 82nd AB, did not have the MOLLE ruck yet... not sure what LBE he's using. An aside- he'd deployed to Iraq this AM....

My Marine friend, who had been a recruiter for for a couple of years spoke with extreme disdain of the MOLLE ruck. That said I am not sure if many Marines were using it. He indicated that the USMC was contracting with a civilian manufacturer of serious backpacking equipment for their future packs...

My $.02 worth- based on a rather small sample- no make that an EXTREMELY small sample.

Jim

Marines decided to field the MOLLE before the Army had finished its tests. The Army MOLLE is different because of some of the changes discovered in subsequent testing and from feedback from the Marines in the field. According to the Army Times report on battlefield equipment AARs, same old problem is that the larger ruck makes commanders think that they can carry more, thus overloading the troops.

Surprise note, the troops like the assault pack, which is basically the same concept as the old butt pack but larger. Never did see why the Army did away with the butt pack, I still have my old one a neighbor gave me when I was a kid.
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 12:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

All I ask is please do not paint diferent color BDU's on a figure, meaning, mixing Woodland BDU's with DCU's (did anybody see the second part of the Iterlari M1A2 in Military in Scale, thats what I mean!!!!!) Someone might say, I see on TV mix uniforms!!! Those are MOPP suits over the BDU's/DCU's and its to much trouble to change your helmat cover ever time you change your uniform, so what you wear on your helmat from your duty station, pretty much stays on till you get back.

Also add in that the Body armor in BDU camo and not DCU cammo

Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 02:24 AM UTC
Time to expose ignorance...

DCU?? Is that the new Digital Camo the Marines are using??

Thanks!

Jim
Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 03:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Time to expose ignorance...

DCU?? Is that the new Digital Camo the Marines are using??

Thanks!

Jim

DCU=desert camouflage uniforms, two types, the chocolate chip and the newer 3-color. Marines new uniform is just called cammies.
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 03:42 AM UTC
Sabot-

Thx! Now I can hide that particular bit of ignorance away.

Jim
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,405 posts
Armorama: 656 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 10:49 AM UTC
Compared to the Webbing we got in the SADF this MOLLE stuff seems a bit ‘undefined’. NO OFFENCE MEANT, it’s just the US military has to operate all over the globe and versatility in it’s equipment would help.

In the SADF we had a ‘rucksack’ for equipment, with a ‘chest rig’ for ammo and other ordinance and a hide away compartment for ‘paperwork’ (maps etc.) for extended patrols etc. Then there was the ‘Battle Jacket’ for ‘short’ duration engagements. The MECH guys got the most combat use out of these.

From what I have seen of the MOLLE gear it looks as if the CG (centre of gravity) is wrong placing weight in the wrong places.

PS: Frontline troops always get the latest equipment last!

Sabotshooter
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 63 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 01:03 PM UTC
Hey guys,

all of 3rd ID still has the large ALICE pack and used it in OIF. The newest equipment we got was the JSLIST (Joint Services Lightweight Intergrated Suit Technology) chem suits, and most of us have the LBV as opposed to the LBE. 97% of the ALICE packs used the desert covers and they were mounted on the outside of the vehicles during and after the war. As far as the MOLLE, I've read about it but never seen one. One other upgrade in the Marne Division is most "soft skins" got the Interceptor body armor but heavy troopers still have the old Frag vest. All this goes to prove my theroy that Tankers always get the cool toys last.

Hope this helped.

Stephen Magee
 _GOTOTOP