_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
M2A3??
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 05:53 AM UTC
According to this page:

New Bradley?

I don't believe I have ever heard of the M2A3. I suppose it could be new, but I 'm not sure. Is there such a thing, or are they being casual with the keyboard? If it is real, what makes it an A3 vs. an A2?
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 05:57 AM UTC
I never thought an aircraft could be so lovely!

Don't be surprised if Jim relocates this thread to the Armor Forum

Gunnie
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 05:59 AM UTC
Whoops! Thought I was in the Armor forum! (Last two days have been weird, home and work, so this is typical and par for the course!)

Move away, Jim. Sorry for the extra work.
Bombshell
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 293 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 06:02 AM UTC
I've never heard of an M2A3 either, but I am not an authority at these matters.

Does anyone have any reference on the Bradley above? It just looks so cool that I have to model one like that!

Cheers,

~CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 06:38 AM UTC
M2A3/M3A3 Bradleys are new, just coming into the digital force. The M3 seen above is a older M3 that were delivered in overall OD green, the camo applied is similar to the type some units applied to their vehicles prior to deploying to the NTC.
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 06:52 AM UTC
Is there any visible difference between the A2 and A3, or is it mostly electronics and bus architecture?
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 07:59 AM UTC
I do not believe the outer shell can be discerned between variations. Internally, the A3 has a stabilized 25mm gun and the FB2C (Force XXI Battle Command Brigade and Below) a super duper communications system among other things. Rob can jump in here if I mis spoke.
DJ
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Armorama: 658 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 08:11 AM UTC
210CAV - what you are saying then, is that this is the stable mate for the M1A2.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 09:02 AM UTC
Yes, exactly...GIB hauler to accompany the M1A2.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 08:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

210CAV - what you are saying then, is that this is the stable mate for the M1A2.

Yes Sir.
Also, correct my abbreviation to now read "FBCB2" Force XXI Battle Command Brigade and Below. Duh on me! I only work with the darn thing ten times a week.
DJ
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 11:03 PM UTC
If your asking if that Bradley in the link above is an M2A3...its not, its an M2A2. Whats really curious about this beast is that it still has its swimming barrier on it which was supposed to be removed a couple years ago and the old style track on it. It has the updated doghouse and exhaust on it though.

If it was a M2A3...you would have seen an CITV behind the commanders hatch that looks like a ball. If you get the new book "Bradley Company" it has excellent photos of the M2A3 in it.

Found a photo of a M2A3:

Scott

Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 11:12 PM UTC
Ok guys, here goes the 411 on the A3 version. I got to see a A3 version about 2 years ago while i was on annual training down at Ft. Hood. Raytheon and some of the other companies where down there fielding them with the 4th Infantry Division. I was one of the first guard member to see the inside of an A3.
One noticable differences in the A3 and A2 is the addition of the FLIR system attached to the rear right side of the turret. Boy was that butiful. You can see the water line inside a water tower from about 500 meters. In addition to that, there are flir screens added to the troop compartment and commanders station. The TC can see on the screen what the gunner is looking at and so can the troops in the back. The guys working on the system was talking about trying to make it where the TC can see what the drver is looking at. Other little nick nacks where added too, like a stove to heat MRE's. The sighting system was new to for the gunner.
Its pretty fun to get to play with all the new toys!!!!
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 11:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If your asking if that Bradley in the link above is an M2A3...its not, its an M2A2. Whats really curious about this beast is that it still has its swimming barrier on it which was supposed to be removed a couple years ago and the old style track on it. It has the updated doghouse and exhaust on it though.

If it was a M2A3...you would have seen an CITV behind the commanders hatch that looks like a ball. If you get the new book "Bradley Company" it has excellent photos of the M2A3 in it.

Found a photo of a M2A3:

Scott

Sir--I defer to your superior knowledge of and on the subject.
DJ

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2002 - 07:59 PM UTC
Wish I had one to drive to work!!! That is a 30MM on their not the 35 MM bushmaster.
BEEP BEEP GET Out The way
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2002 - 08:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wish I had one to drive to work!!! That is a 30MM on their not the 35 MM bushmaster.
BEEP BEEP GET Out The way

I believe that is a 25mm gyro stabilized weapon. The 30mm is the weapon of choice for the USMC AAAV.
DJ
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2002 - 09:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Scott

Sir--I defer to your superior knowledge of and on the subject.
DJ

LOL I have to put to use some of the useless knowelege I have from being a 63T (brad automotive mech) to work when I people ask questions on Bradleys

Scott
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2002 - 01:37 AM UTC
Howdy all,
Saw the thread on the Bradley and thought I could chime in. I have a platoon of them that I am responsible for. As already mentioned before the A3 has all the new wiz bang gizmos on it. It still mounts a 25mm M242 Bushmaster; however the barrels are being changed out. A new (well sort of, saw them as early as 96') fluted barral is in service. Easy to distinguish between the two. Its shorter and has a shorter muzzle brake/flash suppressor than the original barrel. It is also a tad heavier, 110 vs. 97ish or so. I can't remember the exact numbers. The exhaust cover is differnent than the standard M2/M3. The ones I have here were modified base models. The swim barrier removal was pretty nasty. we still have bits and pieces left where they attached. Were slated to receive new A3' s but not sure when. The Optics alone are going to be worth it. My 13x sight was rivaled by a pair of Tasco binoculars!! I was floored.
Some cool variants out there are the Avenger and the BFIST. BFIST is the replacement for the M981 FISTV. Mega cool gizmos on board, but cant talk about them just yet. The Avenger AKA Duckhunter is also pretty cool. great to watch them fire on Target drones. I will put some pics up of the M3A2 of mine once I get them back.
On a side note, I mistakenly received a higher horsepower motor for my gun. When the first rounds were fired, all eyes were on me. They motor looked the same, only it cranked out double the normal rate of fire. Needless to say I didn't get to keep the motor. lol. talk to you all soon. "Q"
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2002 - 09:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

On a side note, I mistakenly received a higher horsepower motor for my gun. When the first rounds were fired, all eyes were on me. They motor looked the same, only it cranked out double the normal rate of fire. Needless to say I didn't get to keep the motor. lol. talk to you all soon. "Q"

Sounds like you got the gun Motor for the Bradleys that carry the Stinger guys in back...I would assume that it would be on the Linebacker Bradley too

_GOTOTOP