1/72 UMmt Armored Railroad Car D-45 WIP
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 09, 2010 - 07:22 PM UTC
Hello

I enjoyed building the D-37 railroad car so much (that I recently posted pics of on this forum) that have I decided to have a go at the D-45, its later brother.

This vehicle was developed in 1933, by modernisation of its predecessor the D-37, according to the instructions.

It has the same hull shape as the D-37, but has a T-26 turret, and horseshoe shaped antenna.

If you build it OOB this kit is not much harder than the D-37, but plans and photos of real D-45s indicate this kit needs some modification.

Firstly the horsehoe antennas upport masts supplied with the kit are brass etch, which means they are flat, which is not correct, the real ones were rounded, and look quite different to the etch ones supplied. I'm planning to replace these with varying diameter evergreen plastic rod.

Although the body is the same shape as the D-37, plans, at least one photo show the headlights are mounted inside the hull, so I will need to cut headlight ports into the body to mount the headlights into

And thirdly, the T-26 turret has no rivets on the sides. Only very late model T-26 turrets have few rivets, the early models are all rivetted, as is shown on plans of the rail car.

(According to Steven Zaloga's book "Soviet Tanks & Combat Vehicles of World War Two", when T-26s were used in action in 1934-35 in Mongolia and Manchuria against the japanese, some T-26s were involved in the fighting, it was found that when rivets were struck by bullets, the inner face of the rivet came free and careened around inside the tank.. The problem was so serious that production was stopped till a solution was found, as a result, soviet tank designs began to drop the use of rivetting in favour of welding).

Being an early turret, this needs to be all rivetted (according to plans of this car) so I tackled this first, as it was always going to be the hardest and longest part of this kit.

In all I added 110 rivets to this turret (I think, I'm not recounting them), as per the plans of the real vehicle. There should be two sizes of rivet, and some are a bit oversize in my build, but this was at the limits of my ability to see, even with magnification... at normal viewing distance they can hardly be seen.

anyway below are progress shots, the turret is now finished, next job is to cut the headlight ports into the body, then build the rest of the kit, then scratchbuild the aerial support masts.

I'll update regularly as I proceed with those other aspects of the build

cheers
Korpse

First pic is plain turret, awaiting rivets

Next pic is the start of rivetting

Last pic is all 110 rivets added, and a light coat of undercoat

PanzerAlexander
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 625 posts
Armorama: 608 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 08:14 AM UTC
That's a lot of work you are putting there buddy thanks for sharing it.

Could you please describe how you made the boltheads?
I use fine grainers and aluminium sheets. How you do it?

Best regards, Alexander
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2010 - 12:27 AM UTC
Hi Alexander

I've tried punching rivets outs of aluminium sheet, without any success, though I believe its the best method.

I used the guide somewhere on this site (I just cant find it now) where you drill tiny holes and pop in a tiny bead. The beads come in water purifying filters.

Its quite time consuming, but its the best method I've found for Braille Scale

I'll post more on this model when I get a bit more done, I've become diverted working on some other kits

cheers
Neil
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2010 - 06:27 PM UTC
Nlyall,

I have this one in the stash and am happy that you are doing what appears to be a step by step build log here. Good photos and helpful history on this subject. I'll be along for the rest of this one.

-Eddy
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, July 03, 2010 - 10:34 PM UTC
Hi Eddy

thanks for your comments

photos of the original also show that it had headlight ports front & rear, that are not moulded in to the model. Easiest way might be to scribe covers to indicate they were closed. I have cut ports into mine, so will have the covers 'open' as per the picture below.

the hardest part of this build is the supports for the horse show shaped antenna. In the kit these are flat brass etc, whereas the real ones are rounded.

I tried making more realistic looking supports from evergreen rod and wire, but am not happy with the end result, I have removed these and will have another go at it. Also the horseshow shaped wire for the antenna that comes with the kit, is not shaped properly, and is several millimetres too short, so a new one will have to be made.

anyway a picture is below, I'll post again when I have better aerial mounts made and affixed. Paint job is in early stages also, a lot more to be done with it yet.

cheers
Neil

Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 12:28 AM UTC
Hello

I've made some more progress on this one.

I threw away the aerial mounts in my last post. They did not look very good. I have instead used electrical wire, which works best for me. I pierced the cabling at the top of the wire with a needle to thread the horseshoe antenna through, so that it looks similar to the real mountings. It sounds difficult but went quite smoothly.

Now mainly need to work on the finish and paintjob

cheers
Neil

weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 03:19 AM UTC
The lengths that some people go through... Coming along very nicely and quite a unique subject. Can I pressume that this little beast comes with a section of track?

Regards,
Aj
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 09:58 PM UTC
Hi AJ

thanks for the comment !

Yes it comes with a short section of track. When I've finished the paint job, I think I'll make a little base for this one and the similar looking DT-37 rail car, sitting on their tracks. I think they'll look good together

cheers
Neil

_GOTOTOP